PDA

View Full Version : Intrepid cameras

Ben Calwell
1-Feb-2020, 08:52
Been reading last year's thread about communications problems with Intrepid, but was wondering how folks are getting on with their cameras? Stumbled on their website and am impressed with what I see.
Have the earlier problems mentioned been taken care of, i.e., knobs falling off, warped lens boards, etc.? I especially like the idea of using the camera as an enlarger. I think I have G.A.S. and should probably just be content with my lovely rosewood Wista DX.

Fred L
1-Feb-2020, 10:01
Had a Rosewood DXII and loved using it. Light, folds with 150 lens attached. Have a v1.0 Intrepid 8x10, as well because the price and lightweight. Not using it very much. Using Canham 5x7 and Zone VI 8x10 as my go to LF cameras.

tbh, I'd stick with the Wista and find a proper enlarger that will work with 4x5 and smaller formats.

Ben Calwell
1-Feb-2020, 10:28
Thanks, I do like the Wista, although, unfortunately, I'm unable to fold mine up with a lens attached.

Alan9940
1-Feb-2020, 12:50
I would definitely stick with the Wista and find a 4x5 enlarger for analog printing or scan.

Bob Salomon
1-Feb-2020, 12:54
Thanks, I do like the Wista, although, unfortunately, I'm unable to fold mine up with a lens attached.

Which lens?

Ben Calwell
1-Feb-2020, 13:11
Bob -- it's a small Caltar 210mm f6.8. I've tried to close the camera with it attached, but the front of the lens hits the bed of the camera.

Bob Salomon
1-Feb-2020, 13:40
Bob -- it's a small Caltar 210mm f6.8. I've tried to close the camera with it attached, but the front of the lens hits the bed of the camera.

It takes extremely little time to mount and remove the lens from the camera. Seems to be a silly reason to buy a far less capable camera.

Ben Calwell
1-Feb-2020, 14:07
I know -- I'm not complaining. I was just responding to the poster who was able to fold his 150mm lens into his Wista. I'm sticking with my Wista. I was just intrigued by the Intrepid camera and the company's website and had a momentary GAS attack. I've regained my senses...for now.

David Schaller
1-Feb-2020, 16:28
What Bob said. Maybe try a smaller lens, like a 150 or 135?

Michael Kadillak
3-Feb-2020, 19:13
I purchased a Mark II 8x10 Intrepid late last year. Took five + months to get but since I have other 8x10 cameras to use it was not that big a deal. It fits a role as a pack camera with a series of lighter lenses (450C Fuji, 350mm Schneider, 240mm Docter and a 300mm Nikon M and even a Wollensak 159mm Extreme Wide Angle) with my FLM lightweight tripod. I installed a thicker metal base plate as well as a second 3/8" tripod screw mount to the base of the camera and to my Arca Swiss 3/8" base plate that takes camera twist out of the equation which I found to be a big deal with such a lightweight camera.

I like the duel controls for the rise/fall and forward tilt as well as the metal GG springs. I waited specifically until these features became standard and I am glad that I did. So far I do not have a problem with the camera in the field doing what I need it to do as a back up 8x10 field camera. And you surely can't beat the price. Out of the back of my truck or a short distance from it I invariably go with my Toyo 810M or my Canham wooden 8x10 because I am very familiar with using them.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
4-Feb-2020, 02:59
I think I have G.A.S. and should probably just be content with my lovely rosewood Wista DX.

I have got an Intrepid 4x5 Mk2. We can exchange our cameras, I will send you mine and I get yours.

m00dawg
5-Feb-2020, 12:47
I will probably get an Intrepid 8x10 at some point to start. I'd like a Chamonix 8x10 but that's just too far out of my price range for now.

I started on an Intrepid 4x5 MK2, which I still have. Great camera and the MK4 seems to have improved many of the shortcomings of the MK2. I now use a Chamonix 45F2 now and find the bump in quality noticeable. The 45F2 is now my main 4x5 but I keep my Intrepid around either for the kiddo or if I am going to go on a backpacking trip (where the weight savings will definitely add up).

Apart from the rear movements (of which the MK4 now has I think?) I could likely make the same images with either camera, but the 45F2 is just all around smoother and easier. It goes up from there too - the 45F2 I would still consider a lighter weight simpler field camera. There aren't any geared movements (except for focus) for instance.

It may not be as useful now but when I was shopping around for another 4x5 before I settled on the F2, I made a spreadsheet to try and compare the features of various field cameras:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F53RgCo1v_7-XywCAr7EMumRuUj76uATd-rq8C3vXxU/edit#gid=0

Perhaps it may be of us to you. Either way, good luck with your search! I feel you on the GAS. I'd like a SpeedGraphic at some point but don't really have a need for one (save for the focal plane shutter which is nice).

Ben Calwell
5-Feb-2020, 13:26
I have got an Intrepid 4x5 Mk2. We can exchange our cameras, I will send you mine and I get yours.

Daniel -- I think I have to pass on that offer.

Ben Calwell
5-Feb-2020, 13:29
I will probably get an Intrepid 8x10 at some point to start. I'd like a Chamonix 8x10 but that's just too far out of my price range for now.

I started on an Intrepid 4x5 MK2, which I still have. Great camera and the MK4 seems to have improved many of the shortcomings of the MK2. I now use a Chamonix 45F2 now and find the bump in quality noticeable. The 45F2 is now my main 4x5 but I keep my Intrepid around either for the kiddo or if I am going to go on a backpacking trip (where the weight savings will definitely add up).

Apart from the rear movements (of which the MK4 now has I think?) I could likely make the same images with either camera, but the 45F2 is just all around smoother and easier. It goes up from there too - the 45F2 I would still consider a lighter weight simpler field camera. There aren't any geared movements (except for focus) for instance.

It may not be as useful now but when I was shopping around for another 4x5 before I settled on the F2, I made a spreadsheet to try and compare the features of various field cameras:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F53RgCo1v_7-XywCAr7EMumRuUj76uATd-rq8C3vXxU/edit#gid=0

Perhaps it may be of us to you. Either way, good luck with your search! I feel you on the GAS. I'd like a SpeedGraphic at some point but don't really have a need for one (save for the focal plane shutter which is nice).
Thank you -- I appreciate that spreadsheet! I am prone to GAS, and if I had unlimited means, I'd get the Chamonix non-folder 4x5.

Bob Salomon
5-Feb-2020, 14:55

How did you leave out all of the specs on all the wood and metal Wistas? And why include the Master Technika Classic and not the 2000, 3000 or the TechniKardan?

m00dawg
5-Feb-2020, 17:12
How did you leave out all of the specs on all the wood and metal Wistas? And why include the Master Technika Classic and not the 2000, 3000 or the TechniKardan?

The spreadsheet is dated at this point since I haven't updated it since making my purchase but it's a valid question! That link should be the public link so you're welcome to update it (or copy it as well). I tried to get as much information as I could but was having trouble finding the full specifications of all the cameras. Some of the specs seem to be in the more hidden corners of the Internet than Google was able to find. Also for many of these the price was beyond reach so I didn't spend too much time on cameras I knew I could not afford at the time.

That said, it wasn't in an effort to devalue those brands or anything. Wistas in particular are quite gorgeous!

Which is actually one point about the spreadsheet I should have made. It doesn't include all the attributes, including quality of build, sturdiness, craftsmanship, how the cameras handle in practice, among other things. It's sort of to help as a place to start. Even with the spreadsheet the decision was pretty tough! I spent a few months pondering the purchase in fact.