PDA

View Full Version : Opening top of Symmar-S 210

erian
28-Jan-2020, 14:31
I am trying to open the top of Symmar-S 210 (the lens has considerable separation) but the thing does not give up.

What is the standard solution to make the threads to go more easy?

Dan Fromm
28-Jan-2020, 15:15
Um, er, ah, the standard solution is to replace the lens with one whose groups don't have separation.

The non-standard solution is just to use the thing. Separation manifested as heavy Newton's rights can make a lens unusable, separation manifested as rings of fire sometimes has no ill effect.

First situation. I have a 25/1.4 Cine Ektar II -- super lens for 16 mm film -- with EKCo's own 25-15 converter, which screws into the front of the lens. The converter's first group is badly separated, shows lovely Newton's rings. Film shot with it captures them very well.

Second situation. I have a 58/5.6 Grandagon ex-Graflex XL. Both cells have peripheral rings of fire, the rear cell has silvery spots near center. It shoots beautifully.

Ask you lens whether it is usable as-is.

Bob Salomon
28-Jan-2020, 15:29
Um, er, ah, the standard solution is to replace the lens with one whose groups don't have separation.

The non-standard solution is just to use the thing. Separation manifested as heavy Newton's rights can make a lens unusable, separation manifested as rings of fire sometimes has no ill effect.

First situation. I have a 25/1.4 Cine Ektar II -- super lens for 16 mm film -- with EKCo's own 25-15 converter, which screws into the front of the lens. The converter's first group is badly separated, shows lovely Newton's rings. Film shot with it captures them very well.

Second situation. I have a 58/5.6 Grandagon ex-Graflex XL. Both cells have peripheral rings of fire, the rear cell has silvery spots near center. It shoots beautifully.

Ask you lens whether it is usable as-is.

Don’t even ask. Shoot it!

domaz
28-Jan-2020, 16:07
Your not going to fix a modern plastmat lens with glue seperation unless you are prepared to open it up, dissolve the glue and re-glue it using the correct UV glue anyways (without disturbing the centering). Not worth it for a common lens like this.

erian
28-Jan-2020, 16:37
No, no, I am not about to fix it. I just want to take the broken thing away and keep the meniscus in place. :)

Dan Fromm
28-Jan-2020, 16:46
No, no, I am not about to fix it. I just want to take the broken thing away and keep the meniscus in place. :)

Not to be a complete idiot, but why?

If you want to experiment, try shooting with the good cell. The Symmar S wasn't sold as a convertible but the cells pass light and produce images. Not the very best images, but images all the same.

Jimi
29-Jan-2020, 02:18
Not to be a complete idiot, but why?

Not to be another on board the boat (and indeed not suggesting Mr Fromm being a nutcase!), but I think Jim Galli mentioned something somewhere about making the Symmar into a f:9 soft focus lens ... but let's see what the OP has in mind ... :)

ic-racer
29-Jan-2020, 06:32
What is the standard solution to make the threads to go more easy?

I use an undiluted acetone solution. It will wick itself into the threads and frequently will relax any agent placed on the threads to lock the ring in place during initial assembly.

Kevin Crisp
29-Jan-2020, 08:40
What are you using to try and unscrew the retaining ring? I have yet to see one I can't take apart with the SK Grimes tool, unless the rim is dented.

erian
30-Jan-2020, 07:10
Not to be another on board the boat (and indeed not suggesting Mr Fromm being a nutcase!), but I think Jim Galli mentioned something somewhere about making the Symmar into a f:9 soft focus lens ... but let's see what the OP has in mind ... :)

Indeed, this is my plan. He mentioned rear cell but front one will work also when I turn it around. I am using a iris clamp and as such this is not a problem for me.

I have only the front cell. I could also bought a separate meniscus lens but for that I should have figured out how to mount it. Symmar has this already covered.

erian
30-Jan-2020, 07:25

Here is the situation I have.

erian
30-Jan-2020, 07:29

This is my case too but I only have the front cell that I bought exactly for this project for small money.

Dan Fromm
30-Jan-2020, 08:06
Not to be another on board the boat (and indeed not suggesting Mr Fromm being a nutcase!), but I think Jim Galli mentioned something somewhere about making the Symmar into a f:9 soft focus lens ... but let's see what the OP has in mind ...
Indeed, this is my plan. He mentioned rear cell but front one will work also when I turn it around. I am using a iris clamp and as such this is not a problem for me.

I have only the front cell. I could also bought a separate meniscus lens but for that I should have figured out how to mount it. Symmar has this already covered.

The entire cell is ready to use as a somewhat soft lens, probably (reasoning from the original convertible Symmar) around 370/12. Why use only the inner element?

erian
30-Jan-2020, 08:54
Why use only the inner element?

I understand what you mean but why not both? Being able to unscrew front elements on will would allow me to use both combinations.

Dan Fromm
30-Jan-2020, 10:09
Thanks for the explanation. I'm on record as favoring tinkering, would be a hypocrite if I tried to discourage you from playing with your Symmar-S front cell.

Even though what you want to do seems like a bad idea, good luck, have fun,

Dan

I've dismantled a Symmar (135/5.6 convertible) front cell apart to remove internal haze (succeeded) but couldn't take the lens' rear cell apart to do the same to it. The tubes that hold the groups have thin walls and are easily distorted. Be very careful when working on yours.