PDA

View Full Version : Harman Direct Positive Paper Question

LFLarry
25-Jan-2020, 06:09
I have been playing around with some Harman Direct Positive paper and I think I have my ISO and development down where I can trust it now.

A thought occured to me about this postiive paper and I am unsure of myself, so I thought I would ask the group here for some help.

When you expose the paper in the camera and process it, you get a positive.

What happens if you were to project a negative on to this direct positive paper via an enlarger? Would it still make a positive print or would it make a negative print?

Tin Can
25-Jan-2020, 06:16
Try it and post

I think I know, but prefer you provide empirical evidence in a post

Good idea!

LFLarry
25-Jan-2020, 06:17
Yea, I will definitely try. If anyone knows what will happen, go ahead and comment, but otherwise, I will give it a try and see what happens.

Try it and post

I think I know, but prefer you provide empirical evidence in a post

Good idea!

interneg
25-Jan-2020, 06:21
Read the data sheet/ manual. It's all in there, including an example of printing a negative on to it.

LFLarry
25-Jan-2020, 06:42
Excellent idea. I didn't think of that. And, yes, the example is given in the tech sheet. Here is the link in case anyone wants it. https://www.ilfordphoto.com/amfile/file/download/file/1739/product/720/

Thank you.

Read the data sheet/ manual. It's all in there, including an example of printing a negative on to it.

Dugan
25-Jan-2020, 08:44
Larry,
Does the paper have any watermark in the base?
I am considering trying it for a project, but if so, it's a non-starter.
Thanks!

LFLarry
25-Jan-2020, 09:00
I have gone through about 3 boxes so far and no watermark on any of mine. I think you are safe.

Larry,
Does the paper have any watermark in the base?
I am considering trying it for a project, but if so, it's a non-starter.
Thanks!

Dugan
25-Jan-2020, 09:05
Good to hear..thank you for checking!

Doremus Scudder
25-Jan-2020, 12:08
Uh.... a positive print of a negative is... A negative! (i.e., no reversal of tones)

Note that normal photo paper is actually a negative material: it reverses the tones on the negative to make a positive.

cp_photo
25-Jan-2020, 14:33
I have done this including enlarging 35mm slides to DPP to obtain a positive. It works. I like this paper for many uses.

Tin Can
25-Jan-2020, 14:56
Good idea!

I have done this including enlarging 35mm slides to DPP to obtain a positive. It works. I like this paper for many uses.

Bertha DeCool
25-Jan-2020, 18:43
What happens if you were to project a negative on to this direct positive paper via an enlarger? Would it still make a positive print or would it make a negative print?

Yes, you'd get a negative.

I'm only in the last few weeks converting from 4x5 to 5x7, expressly for contact printing DPP, as I have no way of setting up a full darkroom with enlarger.

I've been sending 120 and 4x5 film to dr5 Labs in Iowa; the gentleman there has a propriety process and processor for making direct transparencies from most b&w film, which scan well. They're gorgeous, tonal range is great. Each one is a little jewel, highly recommended (and I am not related in any way).

Once I've got some tests done, I'm going to be pre-flashing DPP and then contacting printing these b&w transparencies. I know pre-flashing can help with the stark contrast range, and I'll be trying different developers/dilutions for the same purpose.

Anyone with DPP and various developer history, I'd love to hear about it!