PDA

View Full Version : Korona View camera

Brad Rippe
5-Dec-2005, 22:17
Greetings,

I have the opportunity to buy an old 5 by 7 Korona view camera for $150. It has all the major movements, the bellows probably needs replacing, and it's definitely a well used camera. I'd probably rate it fair plus condition. It does not have the rear extension bed, or any lensboards. Everything seems to tighten down well making it quite rigid. I'm tempted to buy it and maybe build a simple 5 by 7 enlarger, using the two box system. Is this a fair price? I know it's hard to value it without seeing it, but what do these go for? I'm not a fan of ebay, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

-Brad

William Mortensen
5-Dec-2005, 22:46
Sorry, Brad, but that sounds a bit steep for an older, fairly common "entry level" 5x7 in only fair condition. Especially if the bellows are gone. You might be able to tape them up or get very lucky and find a used set cheap, but a new set will run around $150 to $250. And those extension rails are very hard to find replacements for. Better to wait for a full outfit that includes a lens and a few filmholders, which should run $200 to $300 with reasonable luck.

If you're a good craftsman looking for a project, and if tha camera "speaks to you", it might be a nice labor of love. But if you're not, you could easily end up putting $500 or more into an outfit worth half that...

Steve Hamley
6-Dec-2005, 05:03
Brad,

I'd have to agree with Mark. Sometimes you have to "eat" a bellows on cameras this old, but I wouldn't put a new bellows on one without a rail. With a new bellows and no rail, you'd have $500 in a $250 camera (at best). If it's "well used" it could probably stand new rails and/or gears, anothe couple hundred.

If losing $500 doesn't matter, go for it, but I'd probably put the $500 I'd lose toward a real 5x7 enlarger.

Steve

Don Wallace
6-Dec-2005, 07:51
More agreement here. Given the price and how much you would have to put into it, save your money for a real 5x7 enlarger. The digital revolution has brought a LOT of darkroom equipment into the market at very low prices. Keep your eyes pealed and your wallet ready.

I know this is probably a real aberration, but I bought a Durst 5x7 enlarger with a 210 Schneider Componon S from at a local community college which was going digital in their photographic program. I paid 50 bucks Canadian. I have seen 5x7 enlargers for sale at not much more than $500 US.

matthew blais
6-Dec-2005, 08:14
I believe Brad is thinking of using the camera as a camera and building a 5x7 enlarger. If not, oh well.

I bought a 4x5 korona but with good bellows for that same amount but then put 40 hours into it to completely restore it. I now have a very nice looking, functioning old camera and I love it. Not the best for rigidity; not the best for movements but it "feels" good. Lensboards are a fairly simple aspect to build. If I would have had to buy bellows for it, a different story...

But I think being patient and looking for perhaps one in better condition and a 5x7 enlarger would benefit you.
It took me nearly a year to aquire enough components to go out and shoot.

I would pass on the deal or get the price way down...

Jim Galli
6-Dec-2005, 09:02
Here's one to compare. (http://www.apug.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=390&sort=1&cat=2&page=1) And it has the bed extension.

Randy_5116
6-Dec-2005, 18:03
Or here. As it turns out, it is an 8x10 Conley with good clean clear lens, wood in excellent++ shape, extension, all geared rise/fall/swing, etc. Just bellows were shot. Just wait and you can find what you want for the price you want. IF you are patient, and willing to take a shot
cgi.ebay.com/antique-donlin-camera-or-conlin-not-sure_W0QQitemZ7563461179QQcategoryZ11717QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/antique-donlin-camera-or-conlin-not-sure_W0QQitemZ7563461179QQcategoryZ11717QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Jon Wilson
6-Dec-2005, 20:53
Keep looking or in fact, Jim Galli's 5x7 is a very fair price and he definitely a straight shooter in his sales. I recently sold an extra Korona 5x7 w/ the extension rail and a 12" wolly lens (which would cover 8x10) for around $250. I have kept my 4x5 and 5x7 Korona's because of their extension, size, great bellows and just love that wood. You can't go wrong with starting out in LF with the Korona.

Brad Rippe
7-Dec-2005, 09:20
Thanks everyone,

I may trade some other camera equipment for it. Its a project, but do I really need another project?

I'll let you know how it goes.

-Brad

roresteen
31-Dec-2008, 14:42
I just got a Korona 5x7 for Christmas from my brother! It has Fujinon 210 f5.6 lens. He replaced the bellows and the over all condition is excellent.

This was a total surprise to me...he knows I have been looking at 4x5's...I thought I was going to get a used Calumet 4x5 with a ding or two, then add lenses and what not. The idea in the back of my mind was to shoot Velvia 50 (not 100F) for landscapes and call it a day.

Well, I find out that 5x7 Velvia 50 can't really be had in the States, just 4x5 or 8x10.

My question is that does anyone know if there is a way to attach a 4x5 back to my Korona or can I cut down 8x10 to 5x7?

Thanks - Rob

PS - He also shipped 13 boxes of Ilford HP5 400 (25 sheets) as well!

Gary Beasley
31-Dec-2008, 15:16
A reduction back is what you want. I know 8x10 to 4x5 backs are fairly common, 5x7 to 4x5 should not be a whole lot harder to find, and 4x5 filmholders are easy to get.

Steve Hamley
31-Dec-2008, 15:53
Order it here if you want and save yourself cutting.

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/index.php?cPath=25&sort=2a&page=2&osCsid=17f3432cf9136669426bca1d410415ed

Cheers,

Steve

roresteen
5-Feb-2009, 22:22
Thanks - I might trim down an 8x10 to 4x5 reducer. Also, I will cut a pack of 8x10 Velvia 50 to 5x7.

I'm sure I'll be happy shooting B&W in 5x7 and Velvia for color. At first I thought I wanted 4x5 for composition, but after looking through the 5x7 glass, I really like the length for landscapes and buildings.

Thanks all for your ideas.

- Rob Oresteen

Michael Graves
6-Feb-2009, 04:47
I picked one up in pristine condition with an 8-inch Paragon lens for $175. I love the camera and wouldn't want to part with it. But if you watch the ads carefully, you can find a deal. If the bellows are gone...walk away.

Rafael Garcia
6-Feb-2009, 19:48
My 5x7 Korona was $300.00 including a Wollensak Raptar 7 1/2" f4.5 lens, extra lensboards, six filmholders, 15 sheets of Ilford FP4 100, and a few other small items. The bellows were perfect and the camera included the extension. It is a great starter camera. I also have a 4x5 Korona (or a 5x7 with the 4x5 reduction back), in great shape also. That one, including the extension, ran me less than $100.00. It is the same size as the 5x7, but the wood is darker, maybe mahogany, while the 5x7's is lighter cherry wood. The backs are interchangeable. The 4x5 has full movements, while the 5x7 lacks swing and shift on the front.