PDA

View Full Version : Negative negatives - using SP445 Tank

gerronemo
21-Jan-2020, 17:09
199780My further adventures in 4x5!
It's been a while since I could get out, because of 'the heat'(Australia!)199779 - n take some more pix.
(Pix attached)
Here is the latest batch of 4(This is the 8th batch of 4!) - without success!
*The only change I made this time was to - "pre-wash" the negs....as per suggested.
As you can see, it is still 'a mess'!
Any suggestions most welcome!!

Conditions: light, overcast. (F22-F32...1-2 secs)
Recap:
Tank is SP445(Stearman Press)
Film: Fomapan 100.
Ilford chemicals.
temp: 21c+
5minute development, agitating every 30 secs.(ilfosol3)
Stop bath: 60 sec
Fix: 4mins
Wash: 5 mins rinse, 5m 'washaid', 5m rinse

AdamD
21-Jan-2020, 20:49
I'm about to try my first film developing this coming weekend using the 445 tank. While I can't offer you any suggestions, I can only hope to encourage you. You have two sheets developed more than me!!!

ericantonio
21-Jan-2020, 20:57
Bizarre. I've only had great success with the sp445 since I got it. Is this the same thing you are getting if you processed it your old way...before the sp445?

I'm assuming you are filling the tank so check on that. Pre wash I see you are doing. 21c+ is about 70 which is fine. Were the Ilford chems powder and you mixed with h20 or was it liquid and mixed with h20?

I don't see an "agitate for the 1st minute or so" up there. Did you do that?

Typically, pour, agitate for 1 minute, 5 sec every 30. 5 min development time is short (but that's just me, I like longer dev times). I would 6 minutes in hc110 Dil b on 8x10 only because I do them 1 at a time in a tray and 6 minutes is better than the usual 12 minutes per sheet if I do PMK or d76.

esearing
22-Jan-2020, 06:08
Just because the tank holds four sheets doesn't mean you have to kill 4 sheets. Find a nearby friend/mentor and figure out where the issue lies one sheet at a time.

Ulophot
22-Jan-2020, 09:56
I have also used the SP445 with great success from the first sheet. I do not use a pre-soak. The patterns you're showing could result from lack of initial agitation, a poor agitation pattern, underdevelopment (which appears to be happening in any case), and/or inadequately mixed developer. The only other thought that comes to mind is a tank that had not been proerply washed after the fix, but that would not account for your first-run problems. The recommended agitation, as you probably read (sorry, I didn't see your first thread), is simply end-over-end (top and bottom). I am used to 10 seconds on the minute, duirng which I give four full inversions (upside-down, then, continuing in the same direction, like doing a flip, right-side up), but the 5-second routine should be fine as long as it is steady and consistent. I hope you're able to resolve this soon.

gerronemo
22-Jan-2020, 17:34
I'm about to try my first film developing this coming weekend using the 445 tank. While I can't offer you any suggestions, I can only hope to encourage you. You have two sheets developed more than me!!!

gerronemo
22-Jan-2020, 17:36
Interested to hear how you go with sp445!!
It IS a great system; I just have to master it!
I am on my 32nd sheet! Not one so far, has come out successfully!
BIZARRRRRRE!
But getting some handy 'tips' from peole on here!
Thanks for your good wishes!
G

gerronemo
22-Jan-2020, 17:42
Thanks a lot for your response and tips!
This was my first time to use a 'pre-wash'; just to see if it would improve things.
IT DID NOT!
It IS biZarrre that after 32 sheets....following 'instructions'/videos/datasheets as exactly as I possibly can....and....NOT ONE success??????
Getting expensive!
BUT the '445 is a great tool...I just have to master it...er...SOOOOON!
Thanks again!

gerronemo
22-Jan-2020, 17:54
Thanks for your response and tips!
I agitate every 30 seconds..throught the process - go to whoa!
NOT using 'powder', liquid concentrate; 9-1.(Ilfosol3)
Tank FULL to 475-ish each time.

This is my verrry first foray into 4x5, and developing, full stop.
Have been following all 'instructions' to the letter, as far I can!
Yet, after 32 sheets...not one success. BIZARRRRRE!?????
Will increase the development time...and look closely at how I agitate etc...etc.
Thanks again for your tips.
To be continued......when I can out n get some more shots...BUT: Our temps here in Oz now are 100f...(Thu 23/1)!!

Willie
22-Jan-2020, 18:29
Try re-fixing to see if the mottling disappears.

Next development cycle try a more dilute solution and a longer developing time. Use one sheet, or two with space between them in the tank.

brad martin
22-Jan-2020, 20:16
Shoot two identical negatives. Develope one in a tray as a control.

You might want continous agitation for the first minute. Then 5 seconds every thirty seconds after.

The control will eliminate a lot of variables immediately.

Doremus Scudder
23-Jan-2020, 12:09
Have you considered that the problem may not be with your developing method or the SP-445?

Which film are you using? How old is it? How has it been stored? The film itself could be the culprit.

Which filmholders are you using? There was one brand that had a problem with the darkslides not being absolutely opaque that caused a lot of mottling and unevenness on the negatives. That's a place to check too.

Which developer are you using, how are you mixing it and how old is it? Bad chemicals could be the culprit here as well.

In short, after developing 32 sheets in what for most is a rather fool-proof system, I think I'd be looking elsewhere for the problem too. Doing control tests using different film, chemistry, developing method (send a sheet to the lab too), etc. will help you narrow down the possibilities.

Good luck sorting things out,

Doremus

awty
23-Jan-2020, 21:43
Looks like bad film or chemistry, as Doremus suggests. How old is the film, was it ever left in a hot car or storage. Ilfosal 3 only lasts a few months once opened. Really need to decanter into smal bottles and store in fridge once opened, but usually doesn't develop when gone bad. Really looks like something wrong with the film. Try a new batch.

Nodda Duma
24-Jan-2020, 01:20
Are you inserting the film into either your film holders or into the tank holders upside down?

Doremus Scudder
24-Jan-2020, 10:49
Are you inserting the film into either your film holders or into the tank holders upside down?

Another good possibility that hadn't occurred to me. Do check this too!

jtomasella
24-Jan-2020, 13:14
5 minutes seems really short, I believe that is bare minimum. Most development times are 9 to 18 minutes depending on the mix. Also agitation for the first minute then 10 seconds every minute after. But all that is not set in stone, just what I do following the dev chart.

ericantonio
24-Jan-2020, 16:26
Another good possibility that hadn't occurred to me. Do check this too!

If you are right handed, the entire work flow from start to finish, and I mean start to finish, should be your right forefinger always on the notch. From removing from the box, to loading film, to removing film, to sticking it in some sort of developer device, to hanging up. That way you are consistent.

But I don't see how it would go wrong if it is upside down in the film holder or sp445? Unless it was backasswards.

alt.kafka
24-Jan-2020, 22:29
I've been struggling a bit with 35mm and 120 in a Paterson tank, but the SP-445 has been flawless for me. Haven't had one bad picture yet. I'm currently using the Stearman kit with the Foma 100, and their developer, fixer, and H2O-flow. I follow the instructions exactly, and agitate the way they show in the video.

I think OP's issue issue is that the film is backwards in the holders, so the emulsion is facing in, rather than out.