PDA

View Full Version : Graflex Pacemaker Speed Flash Sync

vincent212
21-Jan-2020, 15:13
Hi I just bought a Graflex pacemaker speedgraphic. Since it has a shutter I would like to know if it can sync with a modern flash? or does it only work with the bulb flash that came with it?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Best

Vincent

jp
21-Jan-2020, 15:25
If the lens has a shutter, you can probably select X sync and use the pins on that for flash trigger. The body's focal plane shutter isn't suitable for electronics flash but with a good 400 speed film like tmax 400, you can do 1/10 with some hot lights no problem.

Dugan
21-Jan-2020, 15:29
If the lens is in a shutter that has "X" flash sync capability, it can be used with a modern electronic flash. Many older shutters used a bi-post sync terminal for flash, which may be hard to find. If you are thinking about using the rear focal-plane shutter for flash sync, you can only use "FP" flash bulbs, which have a long duration and are also hard to find. Hope this helps!

Bob Salomon
21-Jan-2020, 15:35
If the lens is in a shutter that has "X" flash sync capability, it can be used with a modern electronic flash. Many older shutters used a bi-post sync terminal for flash, which may be hard to find. If you are thinking about using the rear focal-plane shutter for flash sync, you can only use "FP" flash bulbs, which have a long duration and are also hard to find. Hope this helps!
If your flash accepts a household plug then an electrical cheater cord or shaver cord fits the biopost connector.

Tin Can
21-Jan-2020, 15:44
https://graflex.org/

Bob Salomon
21-Jan-2020, 15:52
You can see for yourself.

Point the camera and flash at a wall. Fire the camera’s shutter at different speeds with the lens wide open. Look at the gg as you fire it. If you see the entire gg area illuminated by the flash then that is the speed that will synch with your flash. If you see that the entire gg is not evenly illuminated by the flash then you can’t use that speed with electronic flash.

vincent212
21-Jan-2020, 15:54
No the lens has no shutter. I would be the back curtain shutter I'm planning to use. I'm finding conflicting information on grflex.org (also their boards don't work so I cant ask the question there).

I don't quite understand the difference between bulb versus strobe synchronization. What I'm googling seems to suggest that it will sync with bulb but not strobe. Is that correct?

vincent212
21-Jan-2020, 15:55
You can see for yourself.

Point the camera and flash at a wall. Fire the camera’s shutter at different speeds with the lens wide open. Look at the gg as you fire it. If you see the entire gg area illuminated by the flash then that is the speed that will synch with your flash. If you see that the entire gg is not evenly illuminated by the flash then you can’t use that speed with electronic flash.

OK I guess it has to be tried … thanks

Tin Can
21-Jan-2020, 15:57
The rear curtain may have sliding contacts for long duration flash bulbs and only at some speeds

Tin Can
21-Jan-2020, 16:02
This guy has a lot of very good info

I have 2 orders in from him

https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/

Dan Fromm
21-Jan-2020, 17:26
The Bible, 10th edition, says:

The larger focal-plane shutters, up to 4x5 inches, require the use of the bigger Class FP lamps, the G-E No. 31 and Sylvania's 2A. These have a burning time of nearly 70 milliseconds and will cover the entire movement of the 4x5 focal-plane shutters at their higher speeds, in any case.

Further on this point, The Pacemaker Graphics Instruction And Reference Manual says to use GE or Westinghouse #31 or Sylvania #2A bulbs with 3x4 and 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphics' focal plane shutters at speeds of 1/250, 1/500 and 1/1000. 1/500 should be used
only when uniform density cross the entire negative is not of primary importance.

And there you have it, OP, from the horse's mouth.

vincent212
21-Jan-2020, 17:43
The Bible, 10th edition, says:

Further on this point, The Pacemaker Graphics Instruction And Reference Manual says to use GE or Westinghouse #31 or Sylvania #2A bulbs with 3x4 and 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphics' focal plane shutters at speeds of 1/250, 1/500 and 1/1000. 1/500 should be used

And there you have it, OP, from the horse's mouth.

Thank you that explains it. Much appreciated.

The bible 10th edition? Is there a book I should be reading?

Dan Fromm
21-Jan-2020, 17:52
Graphic Graflex Photography.

If you're going to use any of the cameras you should get the book. 10th edition or later. If you keep your Pacemaker Speed Graphic, download the Instruction and Reference Manual from https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/rlgraflexmisc.htm

Jim Jones
22-Jan-2020, 08:02
The 10th edition of Graphic Graflex Photography covers the top rangefinder Pacemaker series (Crown and Speed Graphic). You'll need the 11th edition for complete coverage of the later top rangefinder models. The 8th and earlier series is fine for the older Anniversary models, and have some articles by the great experts of that time.

Tin Can
22-Jan-2020, 08:15
I recently bought Photographers Mate 3 & 2 Bureau Of Navy like this in better condition for less

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30455139620&searchurl=sortby%3D17%26tn%3Dphotographer%2527s%2Bmate%2B3&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title4

I find it very useful with extreme detail how to use it, even a way of holding the camera best, that is not obvious, at least to me...

Tin Can
22-Jan-2020, 08:21
Page 290 fell open just now and has solved my Grafmatic mistake...

same as my Mag Bag mistake...

It illustrates many 'obvious' techniques

BrianShaw
22-Jan-2020, 08:59
Which edition do you have? I have 1968 and agree it’s the best guide available. I had a 1973 edition that no longer had LF but had a very instructive aerial photography section. Not sure what earlier versions may exist or what they may cover.

Tin Can
22-Jan-2020, 09:03

urnem57
11-Jan-2021, 19:18
I’ll combine posts -

Thanks for the tip on the book! I just got a copy of the 1966 edition.

+1 for flashbulbs. They are still made.Google it. They are big $$

But they do produce a cool look in the right situations.

maltfalc
23-Jan-2021, 14:34
the "T" setting is x-sync and will work with electronic flash. all the other speeds have too narrow slits and trigger the flash too early.