PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Tripod that Won't Break the Bank, But May Break my Back

sperdynamite
19-Jan-2020, 11:36
Looking for recommendations for rather tall tripods for 8x10 work. I will likely be using the "if it's x from my car, it's not photogenic" rule, so weight is a secondary consideration to stability. Probably not looking to spend four figures here, so the ones made from materials only recoverable by passing comets every 1000 years may not work for me...

My camera is a Gibellini Bellatrix so it's basically an ultralight. And I may be adding a Chamonix 5x7 soon to the mix.

CreationBear
19-Jan-2020, 12:11
I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback, but I'm thinking you can get a used, quality set of sticks for $400-$500--e.g. a 4-series Induro or wooden Ries. (FWIW, great deals seem to be rare these days, but B&H has struck me as occasionally offering Induro's at nice prices...though they're awfully proud of their Gitzo's, it seems.:))

Otherwise, I'll look forward to seeing how far you can push the 5x7 format in terms of resolution, etc.--I'm just learning my Sinar Norma 5x7, but want a Chamonix 57N to throw in my pack if I fall in love with the format.

Eric Woodbury
19-Jan-2020, 12:18
At only two figures, there is the Paillard Bolex Tripod. You'll need to change the head, but these are very good tripods. At three figures, I like the Miller wooden tripods. Many different configurations here, so you'll need to study the variants. Presently, I use these for a Kodak 2D, but that is changing. I'm about to sell the Paillard and the 2D as I have other equipment coming 'online'. The Miller is probably taller and as it is wood, easy to deal with in colder climates.

Tin Can
19-Jan-2020, 12:44
How tall?

There are tripods up to 9 feet tall

Used is often a good deal, as many of us have more tripods than we use

I have found KEH good for this

Vaughn
19-Jan-2020, 13:23
An old Majestic with the gear head would be perfect -- beefy, tough, heavy and awkward to carry. Several models. I picked one up at a yard sale for $25 -- I just needed to pound the shaft straight that's in the gearhead.

sperdynamite
19-Jan-2020, 14:20
I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback, but I'm thinking you can get a used, quality set of sticks for $400-$500--e.g. a 4-series Induro or wooden Ries. (FWIW, great deals seem to be rare these days, but B&H has struck me as occasionally offering Induro's at nice prices...though they're awfully proud of their Gitzo's, it seems.:))

Otherwise, I'll look forward to seeing how far you can push the 5x7 format in terms of resolution, etc.--I'm just learning my Sinar Norma 5x7, but want a Chamonix 57N to throw in my pack if I fall in love with the format.

I'm looking at that Chamonix 5x7N myself. It partly comes down to color film. Keith Canham is selling 50 sheet boxes of Kodak stocks, including my new favorite E100. The 10 sheet boxes of 8x10 are frustratingly expensive. Not that I won't shoot 8x10 in color, but probably with less regularity. Plus my 240/5.6 is a perfect 5x7 normal.

Peter De Smidt
19-Jan-2020, 14:29
How about this? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1383161-REG/robus_rc_8880_c_8880_tripod.html

or: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1157827-REG/benro_tma47axl_mach3_aluminum_series_4.html

or: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1157819-REG/benro_tma48cxl_mach3_9x_carbon_fiber.html

sperdynamite
19-Jan-2020, 15:31
Thanks folks! I was offered an old Manfrotto and I'm going to go with that. If my math is right it should get me at least 10' up there.

Drew Bedo
24-Jan-2020, 07:22
Has any one adapted a set of used Surveyor's legs for photography? They are rugged, strong and often somewhat less than a photo-dedicated rtripod.

Defiantly a DIY project.

Greg
24-Jan-2020, 07:35
I like the Miller wooden tripods. The Miller is probably taller and as it is wood, easy to deal with in colder climates.

Wooden Miller tripods are excellent. They don't have the name recognition that Ries has so don't command nearly as high prices. My circa 1980s? wooden Miller handles my 8x10 Chamonix with ease. Usually you can find one up for auction for under $100.

C. D. Keth
24-Jan-2020, 10:22
Miller stuff is excellent. It’s a standard in motion picture gear. If you find legs that need a leveling ball head those are available in a couple sizes, the main one being 100mm. They’re made to support way bigger, heavier cameras than any8x10 so they’ll certainly do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgtaylor
24-Jan-2020, 10:35
I'm using a Gitzo G1348 with an Arca Swiss Z1-sp (no center column) for my Toyo 810MII with no problem. Great tripod that packs well.

Thomas

Drew Wiley
24-Jan-2020, 11:40
Ries wooden tripods are a standard. Really durable. I will state that I once dropped one of my Ries off a cliff and one of the legs got split. It was easy to glue it back together using Gorilla urethane glue. But I wanted a replacement section, and even though I told Ries what I had done and didn't expect it to be under warranty, they insisted on sending me a replacement section for free anyway.

wsetser
24-Jan-2020, 15:45
Here's my 8x10 Wisner sitting atop an old surveyor's tripod I picked up at an estate sale for $25. I spent a little time striping off the old paint and refinishing it. I use it without a head and close to the car.

ericantonio
24-Jan-2020, 15:55
Here's my 8x10 Wisner sitting atop an old surveyor's tripod I picked up at an estate sale for $25. I spent a little time striping off the old paint and refinishing it. I use it without a head and close to the car.

I always see someone saying "get an old surveyor" tripod but I can't figure out for the life of me how you guys attach a camera to the top of that thing. It can't be a 1/4-20 right?

C. D. Keth
24-Jan-2020, 16:41
I always see someone saying "get an old surveyor" tripod but I can't figure out for the life of me how you guys attach a camera to the top of that thing. It can't be a 1/4-20 right?

I don’t think they are but it’s a pretty simple feat of ingenuity to cap it so there’s a 1/4-20 or 3/8-16 sticking out the top.

dfort
24-Jan-2020, 17:02
...I can't figure out for the life of me how you guys attach a camera to the top of that thing. It can't be a 1/4-20 right?

I'm in the same situation and spent way too much time today researching how others have attached cameras onto these surveyor transit tripods. Most of the posts I found were way over engineered. This post from largeformatphotography.info seemed to be the most sensible.

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/surveyor-tripod-conversion/

However, the simplest solution seems to be to swap out the 5/8" x 11 "Flat Head Bell Housing" with a 1/4" x 20 eyebolt, add some nuts and washers to keep it in place.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49436564861_889e7d3fcb.jpg

By the way, you don't need to search the antique shops to find a deal on one of these tripods. Seems like the Bosch Aluminum Contractors Tripod BT160 is popular with the amateur astronomers and it can be bought new for less than $40.

wsetser
24-Jan-2020, 17:08

I didn't have any problem. I attached a Manfrotto quick release adapter with hardware that was already there. I just had to get a different bolt.

Drew Wiley
24-Jan-2020, 17:42
The Zone VI models were just so-so wooden survey tripods which had the 5/8 thread replaced with a 3/8-16 turnknob underneath like you see standard on Ries etc tripods, or optionally a 1/4-20 turnbolt for small tripod heads or direct attachment of smaller cameras. Those aluminum Bosch tripods are utter crap. They cost about ten bucks to make (not kidding). I was one of the biggest Bosch dealers in the country and wouldn't allow any of that Chinese import nonsense in the store; after I retired, that kind of worthless wobbly thing came in.
They were intended a freebees with toy construction lasers. If you want a bargain, get a domestic-made (not import) CST fiberglass-clad survey tripod. Bosch owns that company too; but it's still distributed under the CST Berger label. Not equal to Ries, but about a third the price ($200 range for something that will handle an 8X10). An appropriate 3/8 turnknob with phenolic handle will cost about seven bucks or so, more if you want stainless from McMaster (recommended). Also use stainless e-clips and nylon washer to capture, or rust will set in quickly. I gave my ole equivalent survey tripod to an amateur astronomer. I was out with the big Ries today - windy on a ridge above the channel, but wonderful light, so I bolted my P67 with 300EDIF right to the top platform directly (no head). If a calm day arrives, I'll take the 8x10. But another storm forecast tomorrow, so I'll probably default to a walk in the woods where it's calmer, and take my Norma 4x5, which I turn-bolt directly onto the platform of my lighter weight wooden Ries. If you absolutely must use a quick release and want an affordable strong one, the good ole Bogen/Manfrotto hexagonal one is a good choice. Perhaps the one pictured in the previous post is similarly strong, just a different shape plate.

ericantonio
24-Jan-2020, 18:00
I got one of them ancient Bogen 3050's. Yes it will break your back. But it is rock solid and cheap. Did I mention it'll break your back?

Remember those old Bogen 305x ads? They had the guy sitting on the tripods.

I figure it's not as heavy as those guys who go to the Antartica with movie gear in -200 degree weather filming cute penguins for us to watch on the BBC channel. Those guys tripods are insane.

C. D. Keth
24-Jan-2020, 22:12
I figure it's not as heavy as those guys who go to the Antartica with movie gear in -200 degree weather filming cute penguins for us to watch on the BBC channel. Those guys tripods are insane.

I’ve done that very thing. Those tripods aren’t as heavy as you think. I’d estimate 40lbs for the standard sticks and slightly less for the short sticks. The heads are somewhere in the 30lb range for fluid heads, maybe 40lbs for a geared head.

dfort
24-Jan-2020, 23:19
...If you want a bargain, get a domestic-made (not import) CST fiberglass-clad survey tripod....

Good point.

...An appropriate 3/8 turnknob with phenolic handle will cost about seven bucks or so, more if you want stainless from McMaster (recommended)....

Well this looks much better than the eyebolt I recommended.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49437705781_e2c9d7f746_o.png

ericantonio
25-Jan-2020, 06:40
I’ve done that very thing. Those tripods aren’t as heavy as you think. I’d estimate 40lbs for the standard sticks and slightly less for the short sticks. The heads are somewhere in the 30lb range for fluid heads, maybe 40lbs for a geared head.

You are da man!!!! Yah, it's not too heavy for you. But us normal people take our tripods on nice sunny days or kinda cold weather, not to the end of the world, cold, with 25 layers of clothes, sitting there like watching the Green BAy Packers lose a game on a cold metal chair. Amazing work those guys do and all so we can YouTube and say "awww, look a penguin in a snowstorm". It's' all relative I guess. I wouldn't mind getting another Bogen 3050/3051 if it was super cheap. Kinda makes you look cool swinging something around looking like Corporal Hicks with a giant machine gun.

C. D. Keth
25-Jan-2020, 07:42
You are da man!!!! Yah, it's not too heavy for you. But us normal people take our tripods on nice sunny days or kinda cold weather, not to the end of the world, cold, with 25 layers of clothes, sitting there like watching the Green BAy Packers lose a game on a cold metal chair. Amazing work those guys do and all so we can YouTube and say "awww, look a penguin in a snowstorm". It's' all relative I guess. I wouldn't mind getting another Bogen 3050/3051 if it was super cheap. Kinda makes you look cool swinging something around looking like Corporal Hicks with a giant machine gun.

We also had a couple people and a wheeled cart or a sled per camera+support so it’s a lot different than somebody doing a one man band thing for fun in spare time.

metalsmith
25-Jan-2020, 09:14
Has any one adapted a set of used Surveyor's legs for photography? They are rugged, strong and often somewhat less than a photo-dedicated rtripod.

Defiantly a DIY project.

Yes, this exactly what I use. I have a Cambo 8X10, which is not light. I bought a dewalt surveyors transit for just over a 100. Made a base plate adaptor (nothing fancy, ply wood with threaded inserts.) and it if really solid if not heavy.

Drew Wiley
25-Jan-2020, 10:26
With wooden tripods it's easy to attach supplementary cleats or use the adjustment knobs themselves to hang things from. But with my larger CF tripod which twist-locks the legs, I installed a 3/8-16 stainless hook below the platform instead of a turn knob. That way I can hang a meter, loupe, mesh bag, etc.

Alan Gales
29-Jan-2020, 16:23
You know that saying, buy your last tripod first? Get a Ries. If you are patient they come up used on eBay. I got good deals on both of mine.

I've seen old Majestics go cheap. I've never used one myself. They are metal so cold to the touch in winter. Berlebachs are reasonable on the used market and made of wood like the Ries. I had one once and it was really nice. I prefer Ries though. I love the leg locks.

The used market is the way to go if you want inexpensive. You gotta be patient though.

Greg
29-Jan-2020, 16:33
I've seen old Majestics go cheap. I've never used one myself. They are metal so cold to the touch in winter.

When I was a student at RIT in Rochester NY, the winter's were on the longish side. Majestics never left the Cage (equipment loan room) in the wintertime just for that reason. Don't be afraid of acquiring a used older Ries... They may not look as good as a newer Ries, but they simply work whatever the weather is.

Vaughn
29-Jan-2020, 17:47
Same with the old Gitzos in the winter...I'd walk around with the legs already extended so I'd not have to mess with them so much. But gloves with removable finger sections work well. Covering a leg or two in thin rubber insulation (wetsuit stuff) is another option with metal pods. I have a Ries A100 for 8x10 and 11x14 -- the Gitzos are fine for my smaller formats, but as Alan mentioned, wood for the 8x10 and 11x14 is sweet. The Ries has twenty-five years of rough riding and still going strong...well, needs some small screws, wood needs refinishing badly, I damaged the head (A250) a decade or so ago, but I sort of bent it back into working condition. But the 11x14 is steady as a rock up there (if I remember to tighten everything down.)

Greg
29-Jan-2020, 17:57
Second that on using Gitzos in the winter (per Vaughn's post). Once used a 1970s metal Gitzo placed in a deepish stream when the air temp was hovering around zero. Took the Gitzo out of the water and after putting my camera away tried to fold up the legs... no way they were going to be compressed. One or two years ago did somewhat the same thing with a Carbon Fiber Gitzo. The legs easily compressed with the CF Gitzo. But all in all much prefer a wooden Ries when the temp drops below zero.

Drew Wiley
29-Jan-2020, 18:08
Plus if you get stuck out in the cold at night, you can build a fire with a wooden tripod, but not with a carbon or metal one, then boil your leather bellows for dinner.

Vaughn
29-Jan-2020, 18:32
Plus if you get stuck out in the cold at night, you can build a fire with a wooden tripod, but not with a carbon or metal one, then boil your leather bellows for dinner.

Nah -- just keep those Ries legs points sharp, then hunt for small game up to caribou! The ones on my Ries would cause a mountain lion to die of laughter.

Drew Wiley
29-Jan-2020, 19:11
I tried that once. But mosquitoes got more calories out of me trying than I got out of the speared gopher.

robbiemcclaran
30-Jan-2020, 14:38
On a similar note, (also for 8x10) I'm thinking of picking up a lighter weight tripod, for the rare occasion I see something more than 20 yards from the van. I recently was watching a video on Adam Davies and noted he was using what appeared to me to be a Bogen / Manfroto 3021, or something similar. I realize of course it likely would not have the stability of a mondo Gitzo, my tripod of choice (mostly because I own one), but I'm guessing it would come with a savings of significant weight. I think my Gitzo weighs in at about a ton. Thopughts from you experts?

FWIW, here's the video link to the About Adam Davies, whose work I admire a lot:
https://www.adamdavies.net/about

Peter De Smidt
30-Jan-2020, 15:10
I really don't like 3021s. It's true that they've gotten better since I bought one in 1992, but there are so many better choices, including all sorts of carbon fiber models, which are terrific if low weight is a priority.

robbiemcclaran
30-Jan-2020, 15:17
I really don't like 3021s. It's true that they've gotten better since I bought one in 1992, but there are so many better choices, including all sorts of carbon fiber models, which are terrific if low weight is a priority.

However carbon fiber = $$$$. And I'm a cheapskate.

Peter De Smidt
30-Jan-2020, 15:22
They don't have to be. My main ones are 20 year old Gitzos, an they work fine. One, I bought new, a 1227, and it's my travel pod. The other I bought a used 1325 for under $200 recently. Used ones can be a great way to save some money.

sperdynamite
31-Jan-2020, 07:38
Just looking at the B&H site, there aren't a lot of legs for big cameras anymore outside of video. It's kind of wild. I remember in 2005 or so buying some really heavy but rock solid Manfrotto legs. They had this 'quick release' leg system that allowed you to extend all 3 at once. Nice idea but of course mine broke at some point. The pan/tilt heads were really great, super heavy duty. And at that time I got a huge hex plate for my Deardorff with set screws, that thing did NOT move.

All gone from the looks of it. There are some exotic Gitzos, RRS, and the woody options. Not a great time for me to be spendign after my LED splurge hah. Luckily my camera is an ultralight so my legs are still heavier than my camera, even with the 360/6.8.

reddesert
31-Jan-2020, 15:48
Manfrotto still makes big tripods, B&H has them in the pro video section.

I have a 3021, it's perfectly serviceable, but it isn't super light. The leg set is almost 6 pounds. Weigh your mondo tripod to see how much you might save. Big old aluminum tripods and pan heads are not particularly fashionable, so if you are patient and can wait for a used one to turn up, you can get bargains (I mean bargain in the sense of use-value per $).

robbiemcclaran
31-Jan-2020, 19:16

I have a 3021, it's perfectly serviceable, but it isn't super light. The leg set is almost 6 pounds. Weigh your mondo tripod to see how much you might save. Big old aluminum tripods and pan heads are not particularly fashionable, so if you are patient and can wait for a used one to turn up, you can get bargains (I mean bargain in the sense of use-value per $).

My mondo Gitzo weighs almost 11 lbs, just the legs. My medium Gitzo (1315 I think) is almost 8lbs. Yes, used Bogens on ebay are around 75 bucks. I love that big ass Gitzo. My back however does not.

sperdynamite
31-Jan-2020, 21:10

How strange... Many of them even have Large Format in their description. I even found my old 'quick release legs' model. Must be an oversight on the side of B&H. Probably not a lot of LF people buying legs like these.

dodphotography
1-Feb-2020, 06:02
A lot of great choices mentioned in this thread. I went the lighter route and saved (and saved) for a set of RRS legs.

Just changed heads, experimenting with this...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200201/fb660b9b4750bd170271a2b2c9e257f7.jpg

sperdynamite
7-Feb-2020, 19:30
I ended up ordering a Manfrotto 161MK2B and a 229 pan tilt head. Man this thing is a beast, but my ultralight Gibellini Bellatrix is rock solid on it. I also went for 3/8th hex plates with the set screws, I think these make a big difference. Can't wait for shooting season to start.

angusparker
8-Feb-2020, 08:10
A lot of great choices mentioned in this thread. I went the lighter route and saved (and saved) for a set of RRS legs.

How is that working? I have all the parts to do the same.

C. D. Keth
8-Feb-2020, 09:19

What make is that quick release? I like the long handle and cam to lock.

dodphotography
8-Feb-2020, 09:39
How is that working? I have all the parts to do the same.

It’s perfect... I couldn’t be happier.

I have a 6 inch rail from RRS for the 8x10 and the Kessler short rail for a 4x5.

Oddly, a few other plates I have at home don’t work in this, including one plate that is Arca branded.

dodphotography
8-Feb-2020, 09:40
What make is that quick release? I like the long handle and cam to lock.

Kessler Kwik Release, super engineered.