PDA

View Full Version : Goerz Artar question

johnwe
9-Jan-2020, 20:59
Will a 14” barrel red dot artar fit into my compur shutter that holds my 12” red dot artar?

John Kasaian
9-Jan-2020, 22:32
The only way to know for sure is to take measurements.

Ken Lee
10-Jan-2020, 07:30
Ask SK Grimes. It wouldn't be surprising if they have done that combination before.

Click here (https://skgrimes.com/library/used-obsolete-discontinued-shutters/compur) for their page on Compur shutters, which includes a lot of measurements.

Louis Pacilla
10-Jan-2020, 07:58
Will a 14” barrel red dot artar fit into my compur shutter that holds my 12” red dot artar?

My guess is no it may not be a direct fit. The reason I say this is because Goerz America used a variety of shutters some European made most US made and between the threads possibly being different so could the threads on the barrel be different.
You need to figure out what the threads of the barrel lensare and the same for the 12"Artar in shutter. If they are the same then yes your in business but again I have never or rarely found an easy barrel to shutter cell swap. YMMV.

Bernice Loui
10-Jan-2020, 09:03
Essentially no. While the cells might thread into the shutter of the 12" RDA, the distance between cells of the 12" RDA -vs- 14" RDA will be different. Know each Goerz lens made has it's own specific cell distance and are NOT interchangeable. Yea, folks do this anyway and state it works fine (not at all if one is critically evaluating the image).

What is fact having been around Goerz lenses for decades and owning-used a long list of Goerz lenses, have yet to find two with the exact same distance between cells within the same focal length.

If you're wanting to use the 14" RDA in barrel, easiest is to use it with a Sinar or similar shutter, have the barrel lens installed into a shutter or pass this 14" RDA in barrel on to get a 14" RDA or similar lens already installed into a shutter.

Barrel lenses are a false economy for those that do not have the means-resources to use lenses in barrel or have them properly installed into a shutter.

Bernice

Ken Lee
10-Jan-2020, 09:32
Another option is front-mounting onto a shutter. I had Grimes make me an adapter ring to fit my 10 3/4 inch RD Artar onto the front of an Alphax #4 shutter.

In certain respects this arrangement is like a Sinar shutter, except that it fits on non-Sinar cameras like the Tachihara and Kodak cameras shown in the link below.

See Front-Mounting a Vintage Barrel Lens into a Classic Shutter (http://www.kennethleegallery.com/html/lenses/#Alphax)

With either approach, we get to keep the original many-bladed iris of the vintage lens - effectively round at all settings - and we don't have to worry about repositioning any lens components.