PDA

View Full Version : Film Development and Contact Printing Equipment and Materials List

AdamD
5-Jan-2020, 16:20
Hi all,

I've been trying to build a list of equipment and materials needed to (a) develop 4x5 sheets and (b) develop contact prints. I think my biggest problem is figuring out the chemicals needed (materials). I might have a few gaps in the equipment too. I also understand that the type of film may dictate different types of chemicals and different contact print paper types dictate different processes and chemicals. So, if you could please explain given a film type, what are the necessary chemicals needed? Basically, I need to know what I'll need to buy! When I search the web, I get so many different options and variables. I think I just need help getting a straight answer.

To Develop the 4x5 Sheet film:

SP-445
Changing bag
Film drying line
Developing chemicals (Pre-Developer??, Developer, Stop, Fix, xxx?)

What am I missing?

To Develop the Contact Print:

Film exposing light
Glass plate
Clamps and film table
Light timer
Safelight
4 chemical trays
funnels, beakers, glass containers and stuff
Contact Print developing chemicals (Developer, Stop, Fix, PhotoFlow??)

How does this look?

If the list is good, can you then suggest exactly what chemicals I'll need to pull this off?

Thanks!!

Jim Jones
5-Jan-2020, 17:08
PhotoFlo is used in the final film wash to help the water stream off of the film while it is hanging to dry. I use a pre-wash of plain water before the film developer. Some others do not. The SP-445 may be more convenient than a set of three (or likely more) trays for developing film. I've never used anything but trays in the past 50 or 60 years. The same trays will also be useful in developing paper.

AdamD
5-Jan-2020, 17:22
Ok, but what are the chemicals that I need? Brand, type, code letters, and the amount to get. Not going to be shooting like a wild man!

Tin Can
5-Jan-2020, 18:01
Beginner's guide to developing 4x5" sheets

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?64960-Beginner-s-guide-to-developing-4x5-quot-sheets&p=611789&viewfull=1#post611789

Corran
5-Jan-2020, 18:17
Ok, but what are the chemicals that I need? Brand, type, code letters, and the amount to get. Not going to be shooting like a wild man!

It's a personal choice. This is like asking, what food, kitchen equipment, and dishes should I buy to make and serve dinner? It's a nonsensical question as there are simply too many options and methods and you've not even told us what you plan to shoot.

Perhaps start with this?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1448926-REG/ilford_1178858_simplicity_film_kit.html

John Kasaian
5-Jan-2020, 18:20
Hi all,

I've been trying to build a list of equipment and materials needed to (a) develop 4x5 sheets and (b) develop contact prints. I think my biggest problem is figuring out the chemicals needed (materials). I might have a few gaps in the equipment too. I also understand that the type of film may dictate different types of chemicals and different contact print paper types dictate different processes and chemicals. So, if you could please explain given a film type, what are the necessary chemicals needed? Basically, I need to know what I'll need to buy! When I search the web, I get so many different options and variables. I think I just need help getting a straight answer.

To Develop the 4x5 Sheet film:

SP-445
Changing bag
Film drying line
Developing chemicals (Pre-Developer??, Developer, Stop, Fix, xxx?)

What am I missing?
Clips of some kind to attach your negs to the drying line

To Develop the Contact Print:

Film exposing light
Glass plate
Clamps and film table
Light timer
Safelight
4 chemical trays
funnels, beakers, glass containers and stuff
Contact Print developing chemicals (Developer, Stop, Fix, PhotoFlow??)

How does this look?
Use heavy weight glass and you won't need clamps, but My preference is a Prinfile Proofer under an enlarger---any enlarger (35mms are practically given away!) Not that it will make any better prints, but I have a fear of breaking glass or getting finger prints on the glass---although wearing white gloves would help---or some other calamity occurring. For drying and flattening your prints there are several options---a blotter book and some weights will help. For stuff, a thermometer is useful, tongs(bamboo is cheap) and a stirring wand of some sort----in a different time you could go to a tropic bar, order a Tiki drink and bring the swizzle stick home with you

If the list is good, can you then suggest exactly what chemicals I'll need to pull this off?
The standard chemicals nearly every high school student learns on is D-76, Indicator Stop Bath, Fixer, and Dektol for printing. If my film requires a presoak, I use distilled water, Photo-flow is good practice. For chemical jugs you may see if your local compounding pharmacy with save you some plastic jugs Robetussin syrup comes in

Thanks!!

Tin Can
5-Jan-2020, 18:30
I suggested that already

and almost everything he needs is on that link

It's a personal choice. This is like asking, what food, kitchen equipment, and dishes should I buy to make and serve dinner? It's a nonsensical question as there are simply too many options and methods and you've not even told us what you plan to shoot.

Perhaps start with this?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1448926-REG/ilford_1178858_simplicity_film_kit.html

Corran
5-Jan-2020, 18:40
Well, then +1 :)

BrianShaw
5-Jan-2020, 19:13
Stearman offered a complete starter kit: processing tank, film and development chemistry. It might be worth investigating.

AdamD
5-Jan-2020, 22:15

Perhaps start with this?

Corran, maybe go back and re-read my post. I asked, given a film type, what would you need....

This is where you can explain how YOU do it and it wouldn't be nonsensical, then would it?

So, how do you do it and what chemicals do you use? What do you like about it? What sucks about it? Can you sell me on your process? Does my equipment list marry up well with yours?

Corran
6-Jan-2020, 06:21
I use a multitude of films and developers. A common one: T-Max 100, developed in Pyrocat 1:1:100 in HP Combiplan (6-12 sheets) or tray (less than 6), printed on Ilford papers developed in Ansco 130.

I like it because it looks good. I wouldn't necessarily suggest the above to a new practitioner.

Tin Can
6-Jan-2020, 06:25
Any film
Rodinol made with Distilled water one shot usage
Water stop, replaced often
TF5 fix made with distilled water
never Photoflow or soap
Wash in running filtered tap water
Hang overnight on string line to dry

Any paper
Ilford PQ made with distilled water, reusable
Food grade citric acid powder stop replaced every few prints
TF5 fix made with distilled water
no Photoflow
Wash as above
Dry on new window screen, reused and kept clean
Never use blotter books, RC paper drys flat, FB paper needs help
Copy anything with cell phone
Prefer enlarging or contact prints, it depends on film size
I throw out a lot of film and prints after looking at them for my mistakes
I also shoot X-Ray film, same developing but far cheaper in big sizes and can be cut down to anysize under safe light
The ONLY safe light I use is this exact LED bulb and only from this source, bounced off ceiling.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-globe/g11-led-bulb-5-watt-equivalent-led-globe-bulb-27-lumens/440/1477/

All done in trays one size bigger

jnantz
6-Jan-2020, 06:30

Hi AdamD

Where are you located ?
If you are in the states get the sprint systems of photography chemistry. They come in either 1L slugs or larger cubes with a spigot. They mix easy ( 1:9 ) and there is extensive filmdevelopment times &c on their website for pretty much every film you can think of, and charts on their website for adding/subtracting time for various lighting and film age scenarios. The developer is sort of like D76 but won't block highlights if you over process a little bit, and won't give you dichroic fog like the tmax developers sometimes do their fixer is a rapid/speed high capacity fixer, and it is pretty much the go-to chemistry for highschool and college darkrooms because it is pretty standardized.
if you google sprint systems of photography you can buy directly from them. i've been using their fixer since about 1981 and their developer off and on since the same time..

good luck !
john

Tin Can
6-Jan-2020, 06:30
The safe light is used only with prints and X-Ray film, all normal film must be done in complete darkness

Yes some do many things differently

I like simple, same same

Works fine for me...

John Kasaian
6-Jan-2020, 06:33
My current safe light is a short string of red led Christmas lights purchased on clearance and kept distant from the trays. If you want to try this route, for check safety before use!

Tin Can
6-Jan-2020, 06:52
Another question is, What photography books are you reading?

You need to be studying and reading, here is a random book, i never read, nor will, but might work for you

https://www.amazon.com/Processing-Printing-Photo-Julien-Busselle/dp/1883403677

It took me 2 years to settle on my 'simple same same' system after joining this forum and asking lots of questions

Nobody told me to use my 'simple same same' system, I also printed up cards with mixing and times, sealed them in plastic and keep them handy in darkroom

Start SIMPLE!

John Kasaian
6-Jan-2020, 07:04
Developer and Fixer can be the same for both film and prints. Water is a good Stop for film and a chemical Stop of your choice for prints. If your film requires a pre-soak use water.

You'll also want some way to wash your negative and prints. You can use a tray with several water refills for this. Exact details are available elsewhere on this forum----doing a search will find it. I use a print washing machine, which would be overkill for your 4x5s as you wouldn't want to risk scratching those still soft emulsions.
You could also try kludging together a DIY washing machine out of a 4x5 daylight processing tank.

For a weight for flattening, I took a cue from Kirk Gittings and got a scrap of polished granite salvaged from a stone flooring/kitchen counter top outfit.

BrianShaw
6-Jan-2020, 08:03
“ Another question is, What photography books are you reading?

You need to be studying and reading,...”

.and if books are not instructive enough, there are plenty of YouTube videos too.

BrianShaw
6-Jan-2020, 08:21
... or check out Ilford’s very instructive beginner guides. I’d bet that Kodak has similar.

Tin Can
6-Jan-2020, 08:59
Now where do you buy all this 'stuff'

I primarily, but not exclusively use 2 main suppliers

B&H and here's why, they often have the best deal Such as this contact printer, which they sell new for almost same price as used on eBay. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/43109-REG/Print_File_080_0410_Custom_Proofer.html

I use one

Freestyle has stuff B&H does not https://www.freestylephoto.biz/

I am more a gear nut than a 'Fine Art Print' practitioner.

I never saw a camera or lens I didn't 'LIKE"

I shine them up and keep most.

Adam, what is your goal?