PDA

View Full Version : Long throw cable release - Betax shutter

rrunnertexas
4-Jan-2020, 17:28
Hello,

New to me is a Betax no 5 shutter for a 8 x 10 camera. It needs a long throw cable release to fire.

Need advice as to what will work with this Betax.

Thanks!
David

jnantz
4-Jan-2020, 17:44
if you can find a degroff air piston, it is hands down the best cable release
i have ever used with betax, alphax and wollensak studio shutters. you can find
them on ebay for not much $$ . good luck !

rrunnertexas
4-Jan-2020, 17:48
jnantz,

Well, a check on ebay comes back with nada.

Thank you for the idea.

LabRat
4-Jan-2020, 17:58
There is a Gitzo, chrome with a grey plastic handle, probably from the 70's that works...

Note that the threads are straight, not tapered on the tip...

Steve K

rrunnertexas
4-Jan-2020, 19:10
Does anyone know if this will work - from B&H.
Gepe PVC Pro Threaded Cable Release

Jim Andrada
5-Jan-2020, 00:44
I use the Schreck cable releases and they're great but the throw isn't quite long enough for some of these old shutters. The best ones I've found are the old Prontors - the ones that have the two metal "wings" that you hold with your 1st and middle finger while pressing with the thumb

jnantz
5-Jan-2020, 06:00
jnantz,

Well, a check on ebay comes back with nada.

Thank you for the idea.

some people spell it with a space de groff, some people don't, degroff ... you need to check both spellings
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=de+groff+shutter&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_osacat=0&_odkw=de+groff+shutter
sometimes they sell as little as 5 dollars, the older ones are engraved and absolutely beautiful.
if you ever use a studio shutter they are extremely useful --- with the one release, and knowing how to squeeze the bulb,
you can get B, T, and 2 shutter speeds ( fast and slow ) ... once you get and use a de groff, you realize that most shutter releases are kind of lame by comparison ;)
good luck finding what you need

John Kasaian
5-Jan-2020, 08:01
A Gepe Pro will fire my Betax No.4. It will also fire my Ilex Universal No.5s

Whir-Click
5-Jan-2020, 08:25
Gebr. Schreck makes all of the Gepe Pro and Silvestri cable releases, and their website claims that all models have a 19mm stroke. Even though Wollensak’s literature claims that a 22mm stroke is needed to fire a #5 Alphax/Betax, in practice I find that 17mm or more works fine.

Bottom line, the Gepe Pro at B&H should work. If it doesn’t, you can always return for a refund.

Alan Klein
5-Jan-2020, 08:51
Slightly off topic. I'm starting 4x5 LF. Which type cable releases are recommended? Length? Locking? Thanks.

tgtaylor
5-Jan-2020, 11:07
I had this problem a few years back with a 14" Wollensak Veritar in a #5 Alphax shutter. At first I thought that there was something wrong with the shutter and took it to a local photo store that also repaired shutters. Nothing was wrong with the shutter - just needed a "long throw" cable release to trigger it. They had a drawer full of used releases and we tried several but none had a long enough throw. They we tried a new release and it worked! It's been years but I believe this is the one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/91953-REG/Samigon_BSA893_Heavy_Duty_Cable_Release_with.html

Thomas

John Kasaian
5-Jan-2020, 17:46
Slightly off topic. I'm starting 4x5 LF. Which type cable releases are recommended? Length? Locking? Thanks.

I like Gepe Pros with the Zeiss disc lock because they'll fire all my shutters, and I work with an assortment of lenses in both old and new shutters.

Regrettably, after selecting an unsuitable cable release before leaving on a wilderness experience, I've learned to standardize.

My sole non-Gepe is a Minette and reserved for my smaller formats, but thankfully it's bright red and unmistakable.

Alan Klein
5-Jan-2020, 18:31
I like Gepe Pros with the Zeiss disc lock because they'll fire all my shutters, and I work with an assortment of lenses in both old and new shutters.

Regrettably, after selecting an unsuitable cable release before leaving on a wilderness experience, I've learned to standardize.

My sole non-Gepe is a Minette and reserved for my smaller formats, but thankfully it's bright red and unmistakable.

The lenses I'll be buying are either Schneider or Rodenstock with Copal 0 shutters. How do you know which release to get? Recommendations?
Is this the Gepe Pro you're referring too? Would this work with my lenses?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ge2025q&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

dodphotography
5-Jan-2020, 19:32

My Gepe’s won’t fire an Ilex 5, I had to resort to some old one I found on eBay. It’s in the mail so fingers crossed this damn thing works. The plunger looks much longer than my models at home. I literally sat at my desk and plugged in 12 releases and none worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Salomon
5-Jan-2020, 19:44
The lenses I'll be buying are either Schneider or Rodenstock with Copal 0 shutters. How do you know which release to get? Recommendations?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ge2025q&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

All Gepe Pro releases will work with a Copal 0, 1 or 3. Also with Compur and most Prontors.

tgtaylor
5-Jan-2020, 20:58
My Gepe’s won’t fire an Ilex 5, I had to resort to some old one I found on eBay. It’s in the mail so fingers crossed this damn thing works. The plunger looks much longer than my models at home. I literally sat at my desk and plugged in 12 releases and none worked.

I just measured the plunger for the #5 Alphax: 3/4" or 19.05mm. My two #5 Ilexs' will fire on 1/2" or 12.7mm as will all my other 4x5 and 8x10 lenses - Copal 1,3 and Compur 3 - and MF and 35mm. I use an electronic shutter release for the 645NII and F6.

Thomas

rrunnertexas
6-Jan-2020, 16:11
Wow, the responses and help are great!

I found a release that should work - a vintage Prontor branded release that has about 3/4" throw or a bit more.

Ordered this morning and should be here by Friday.

Thank you all for the help!

John Kasaian
6-Jan-2020, 16:39

Interesting! I haven't had a problem with mine.

John Kasaian
6-Jan-2020, 16:43

That's the one. A Minette should work too. Copals aren't demanding as vintage Universals and Wollys

Greg
6-Jan-2020, 17:48
Years ago went to our local photo store (remember them?) and compared their assortment of shutter release cords to find the one(s) that had the longest throw. Bought 3, should have bought more. Lost one which now resides on the bottom of the Hubbard River in the Granville State Forest in western Mass... Now down to two. Unfortunately no brand name on them. Their throw not "long" enough to fire off a Sinar Copal shutter, but with "throw" to spare when on my Betax No. 5 shutter. FYI: half of my shutter release cords will not fire my Betax No. 5. Think my shutter releases are Gepes, but not 100% sure.

gary892
8-Jan-2020, 15:31
I have an ilex #5 shutter that can only be fired with my Prontor cable release. All my other (6) cable releases, which are not Prontors, will not fire the Ilex #5 shutter.

Specs for the Prontor cable release are: 10 inches long, clothed wrapped and has a 2 centimeter throw, which converts to approx. a 20 millimeter throw.

I hope this helps.

dodphotography
8-Jan-2020, 19:09
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200109/23771f61e1bfc3231032fd6854e9276f.jpg

Got this for the Ilex 5, it works!

LabRat
8-Jan-2020, 19:33
Let's rewind here... The Betax #4 socket is threaded for an old style tip that is a straight thread, not tapered... If a tapered tip is used, it had a different thread pitch, diameter, and thread profile... It might just engage holding on to one thin thread (by its fingernails), but will fail in the near future, esp with the harder engagement force due to the self cocking shutter...

He will need the proper tipped release for long term (proper) use... I posted the only semi-modern release that is proven to work... Jac posted the dimensions to this tip in an old post... (Where is Jac these days, I hope he is well...)

Keep looking...

Steve K