PDA

View Full Version : 150mm lens suggestion for landscapes on a Cambo 45NX

AdamD
3-Jan-2020, 10:39
Hi all,

Looks like I've got a start in LF using a Cambo 45NX. One of our form members is going to help me get started with a camera he doesn't use much anymore. He's also going to set me up with all the other things needed to get shooting, except for one major items; the lens. How cool is that guys!!

Considering I am mostly interested in landscape (for now), I think a 150mm is a good all around starter. Happy to hear otherwise, but I'm looking for specific lens suggestions that will work well on this camera AND be usable on field cameras (future investment). Changing the lens board is not a problem of course.

Anyway, I'm not looking for a cheap-o lens, but something that will help provide a worthy image. Can you provide me with the specific model so I can search for exactly what you suggest. I get very confused when reading all these lens types and have little frame of reference with LF. I shoot Nikon DX, so that's all I know and about 1% of that seems transferable to LF :)

My budget for now is less than $200. It would need to be a screaming deal for me to go over that. I'm just too new and stupid about LF to justify spending a ton of money (yet).

Thanks all!!

Adam

Corran
3-Jan-2020, 10:43
Any modern Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikkor, or Fujinon lens in your budget will be fine. Just make sure the shutter is in good shape - so a black-rim Copal shutter preferred as it'll be the newest.

Schneider Symmar-S or APO Symmar, Rodenstock Sironar, Nikkor-W, etc.

And a 90mm would be a good alternative if you like to shoot wide. Personally I use 90mm way more, but you may be different (if you like shooting at 18mm on your DX camera, get a 90mm).

AdamD
3-Jan-2020, 10:57
Thanks.

I can say this. When looking at my favorite landscape images on my D7200, most of them fall into the 24mm-50mm range on the DX format.

Corran
3-Jan-2020, 11:08
Then focal lengths of 135mm to 270mm are perfect, for you.

BrianShaw
3-Jan-2020, 11:14
Congratulations... that’s a camera that will do anything you need (except be lightweight for backpacking). I’ve had a Cambo like it since 1982 or so and still haven’t “outgrown” it.

150 will be a good all-round lens. But be forewarned... you’ll want a 210 and 300 soon. You have been warned. :)

Note: I’m the complete opposite of Bryan... I hate wide landscapes and love tight ones. It takes all kinds... the dumbest lens buy for me was a 90, and I only use it when using a roll film back.

Two23
3-Jan-2020, 11:27
Scanning current offerings on ebay I see a Fujinon 150mm f5.6 $239 or best offer, Schneider 150mm f5.6 Xenar $233 or best offer (check to see if multicoated), Rodenstock Sironar N 150mm f5.6 (looks to be multicoated) for $250/best offer. If we include Japan sellers there is more. I've had nothing but good luck buying from Japanese sellers, it just takes a week or two for the item to come is all. Fujinon 150mm W f5.6 $239/best offer, Rodenstock Sironar N 150mm f5.6 $99, and what I see as the best deal of all of them is a Fujinon 150mm W f5.6 $180 + free shipping. These all appear to be Copal 0, for which you will have one board. Easy to mount the lens. Always ask seller if the retaining nut is included, otherwise it will be a hassle to replace. If you want to go cheaper there's also a deal on a Fujinon 135mm W f5.6 for less than $150. I have a Fujinon 180mm f5.6 and like it. Their lenses are every bit as good as Nikon's.

Kent in SD

Bob Salomon
3-Jan-2020, 11:49
2 major items!
You will also need a lens board.

AdamD
3-Jan-2020, 12:01
2 major items!
You will also need a lens board.

He's got me covered!! If I missed that detail, my bad. Three boards actually!!

AdamD
3-Jan-2020, 14:00
I've looked at more landscape photos that I like and a bunch of them are on my 50mm f1.8 Nikor. Then, I have a bunch in the 18mm range. I believe the 50mm on DX should convert to about 33mm on 35mm format and that should correlate to about 120mm on LF??? So for now, I'll forget the 18mm conversion and focus on the 120mm-150mm in LF.

Based on that is there a lens that jumps out in that range? Or is it just a wash of greatness no matter where I go?

Havoc
3-Jan-2020, 14:06
50mm on DX would be around 70-80mm on 24x36. So around 240mm in 4x5. The 18mm in DX would be around 90mm in 4x5.

John Kasaian
3-Jan-2020, 14:11
A Schneider G-Claron is a very sharp lens with good wiggle room and mostly found in modern Copal shuttters. They'll be single coated if that matters.

Corran
3-Jan-2020, 14:12
I've looked at more landscape photos that I like and a bunch of them are on my 50mm f1.8 Nikor. Then, I have a bunch in the 18mm range. I believe the 50mm on DX should convert to about 33mm on 35mm format and that should correlate to about 120mm on LF??? So for now, I'll forget the 18mm conversion and focus on the 120mm-150mm in LF.

Based on that is there a lens that jumps out in that range? Or is it just a wash of greatness no matter where I go?

You've got your conversion wrong way 'round - you divided instead of multiplied by the 1.5x. As Havoc posted, your looking at around 90mm on 4x5 for that 18mm on your DX, and for the longer lens something akin to 240mm to 300mm (don't forget that your 16 x 24 millimeter sensor has a different aspect ratio than a 4x5 sheet of film).

John Kasaian
3-Jan-2020, 14:13
50mm on DX would be around 70-80mm on 24x36. So around 240mm in 4x5. The 18mm in DX would be around 90mm in 4x5.

A 240 G Claron rocks, IMHO. It will easily do 8x10 if your format interest grows.

AdamD
3-Jan-2020, 14:22

CRAP!! I went the wrong way!!

See! ROOKIE!! You guys are dealing with a rookie here!!

Peter Lewin
3-Jan-2020, 14:42
Stick with your search for a 150. My absolutely most used lens is a Rodenstock Sironar-S 150/5.6. But that isn’t the point. A 90mm is a really wide angle lens on 4x5, not really a general purpose length. A 135mm is close, but the problem is the image circle, your use of movements will be very limited. When I first started, Fred Picker (the guru of that pre-internet time) suggested a Schneider Symmar-S 210mm as your first lens, with a Schneider Super-Angulon 120mm as your second. I still have both. First problem is that both are a lot larger than a similar aperture 150mm, which works against your desire for a mountain bike & backpack. Second I find the 210 a little long for general purpose landscapes (but great for picking out details or still lifes), and the 120 is just too big & heavy. I use both, but not in my stripped-down travel kit. So stick to your first choice, and if you can find an older example from a reputable manufacturer in a Copal 0 shutter, that would be ideal.

AdamD
3-Jan-2020, 15:05
Ok. Very helpful. I'm starting to go crazy with different options and directions. Peter...go got me grounded now.

Looking at:
Rodenstock Sinaron S (Sironar N) 150mm f5.6 Lens (the one you pointed me to)
Fuji Fujinon W 150mm f5.6 Lens
Schneider 150mm F5.6 Xenar

They are all close to the same price with the Fuji being a little lower and from Japan and the Rodenstock in the middle.

Bruce Watson
3-Jan-2020, 15:16
Rodenstock Sinaron S (Sironar N) 150mm f5.6 Lens

I've got one (S version). Love it. Probably 30% of my images are from this lens. It's got plenty of coverage so you can play with movements (how else you gonna learn?), and it's sharp as a tack. Hard to beat.

Heroique
3-Jan-2020, 15:41
A Schneider G-Claron is a very sharp lens with good wiggle room and mostly found in modern Copal shuttters. They'll be single coated if that matters.

My 150 g-claron is my favorite lens, winning more affection than my Schneider XL 110mm or Fuji A 240. It’s tiny and light – of course, armchair photographers will tell field photographers that its tiny size and weight just don’t make much difference when you consider the total weight of your gear bag, but don’t let them fool you.

The psychological benefit of this lighter, smaller, sharp lens makes a significant difference when you’re in the mountains making images. It’s a joy to pack, a joy to carry, a joy to handle, a joy to use – whether your subject is close-up, in the middle distance, or at infinity.

Of course, had I decided on any of the other fine 150 lenses already mentioned, I'm sure I would have found a reason to love it too. ;^)

Alan Klein
3-Jan-2020, 19:20
Rodenstock Sinaron S (Sironar N) 150mm f5.6 Lens I've seen Exc and mint of this lens for $1400 and up from Japan. Is this right. How can they sell others on ebay for $300 and under?

Is this really one of the sharpest of the 150's?

alan_b
3-Jan-2020, 19:31
Lots of mentions of Sinaron, Sironar and "S" in this thread, so a caution/reminder:
Rodenstock Apo Sironar-N = Sinar Sinaron-S $$
Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S = Sinar Sinaron-SE $$$ (latest version, larger image circle)

I have no idea what the story is with the Japanese sellers who park lenses on eBay for 5-10x going prices

Alan Klein
3-Jan-2020, 23:19
Rodenstock Sinaron S 150mm f5.6 Where can you get this lens other then Japan? I've been looking.

Bernice Loui
3-Jan-2020, 23:36
Difference in $$ -vs- $$$ is basically image circle. The SE has a slightly larger image circle plus the belief it IS the Latest-Greatest multi-coated wiz bam wonder lens... Sadly not true. Based on SO many LF lens discussions here, image circle or coverage is an obsession that is over blown and focused on for many of the wrong reasons.

Don't get caught up in the fantasy that a "better or best" lens will be the ultimate solution to THE image print.. Reality is a big NO.
At this point there are SO many other skills and needs trying for the reputed "Best" lens is much a waste of $ in every way. There are NO "consumer" grade LF lenses as historically LF was for photographers that expected image excellence and back in the day few hobbyist photographers did their work in LF. Majority of LF film burners where commercial folks using 4x5 to make color transparencies as the basic image used for the mass printing process.

At this point in your LF journey, best to focus on image content as discussed in this thread, #52:
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?15848-Giving-up-the-view-camera-am-I-nuts&p=1530807#post1530807

Then pick the lowest cost modern plasmat in a proven-reliable-accurate shutter, then spend your $ on film, processing and the remainder of the print making process. This essentially means spend about $150 USD on a Schneider-Nikon-Rodenstock-Fujinon plasmat of the target focal length usually between 150mm to 210mm and move on. Keep in mind at this point in your LF adventure journey, it may or may not last. Only time and doing the print making process will tell if LF will stay with you or ya move on away from LF.

Bernice

Lots of mentions of Sinaron, Sironar and "S" in this thread, so a caution/reminder:
Rodenstock Apo Sironar-N = Sinar Sinaron-S $$
Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S = Sinar Sinaron-SE $$$ (latest version, larger image circle)

I have no idea what the story is with the Japanese sellers who park lenses on eBay for 5-10x going prices

Leszek Vogt
4-Jan-2020, 01:38
From my understanding you need 153mm coverage for basic 4x5. If you don't need a shutter....the price will drop significantly. You'll always be able to get the expensive APO's, etc etc....that is when you are good and ready for it. Couple of lenses that probably were not mentioned, like 150mm APO Ronar F9 (I think this covers 5x7) and the Ektar 152/4.5. The latter has 182mm circle, so don't expect much movements from it, tho I've seen some excellent examples where they were using Graflex. I'm in total agreement with Bernice, that content is what the viewer notices....and not who made the lens.

Les

AdamD
4-Jan-2020, 13:57
Yeah I'm good. I understand the "best" argument. 'Best' can be and is intupreted in many ways as it should be. To Bernice it might be best quality and to Kent it's best for a beginner just starting out. You end up with two totally different suggestions.

I'm not looking for one answer. Just like a photographer brackets a series of exposures, I too am bracketing your answers.

So "best lens" away guys!!

I've settled in on three lenses all about $150-$200 and that's fine. I might one day replace it with something three times the cost and it too will be the "best lens" or I might replace it with a lens that's half the cost, guess what? It'll be the best lens.....maybe I'll do neither and that will mean my selection today was the best...Bernice, you pick'en up what I'm lay'en down?

Two23
4-Jan-2020, 19:25
Yeah I'm good. I understand the "best" argument. 'Best' can be and is intupreted in many ways as it should be. To Bernice it might be best quality and to Kent it's best for a beginner just starting out. You end up with two totally different suggestions.

I've come to think of photos in two ways. First, there's "image quality." This means it's sharp, good contrast, good color saturation. A lot of technical stuff that can be objectively measured. My second thought is "quality of the image." This is the "arty" part, the part that comes from my emotions. For this I go to old lenses such as the early anastigmats made aroudn 1910-1930 such as Dagor, Velostigmat, and (yum yum!) the Heliar. All uncoated. All give a soft, low contrast look that's SO different what everyone is doing with a digital camera now. What gets me really excited are the REALLY old lenses! I have four made in the 1840s--can't get much older than that! Those are what I've been using the most for the past several months, shooting wet plate of course. As you might have deduced I use lenses made from the very dawn of photography (1840s) to my newest Sigma ART made in 2018. What I've learned is there isn't a whole lot of noticeable difference between lenses made within their time period unless you're really experienced. Even with that I've noticed few if any non-photographers seem to notice if I made a photo with a c.1910 Dagor or a c.2002 Fujinon. I tend to buy lenses for the "look" they give, not the technical aspects.

Kent in SD

Alan Klein
4-Jan-2020, 21:25
Kent Where can we see your pictures? I'd love to look at them.

AdamD
4-Jan-2020, 21:29
Yeah what he said!!! Where is your gallery!!

Joseph Kashi
10-Jan-2020, 19:28
Rodenstock Sinaron S (Sironar N) 150mm f5.6 Lens I've seen Exc and mint of this lens for $1400 and up from Japan. Is this right. How can they sell others on ebay for $300 and under?

Is this really one of the sharpest of the 150's?

IMHO, at the normal working apertures for large format cameras ( usually f/22 to f/32), most modern first-tier lenses in the 150mm range from Nikon, Fujinon, Rodenstock and Schneider will be diffraction limited and hence little practical difference will be noticeable among them at working apertures.

I like the 150mm / f 5.6 Fujinon multicoated NWS series myself, even more than my 180mm Sironar N. I bought a spare, which was also just as good. Excellent copies are often available in the $200 range out of Japan.

Similarly, the compact Kodak Ektar 203/7.7 post-WWII coated version is light and very high quality. There are several published first-person claims that Ansel Adams asserted that this was his favorite lens. The Kodak Supermatic shutters usually need a CLAC (Clean, Lube, Adjust) as their timing tends to become a bit erratic as the decades accumulate. This is another favorite lens for field work, so much so that I also bought a second copy of this one as well. I paid $99 for one plus shipping. I've had the other one for nearly 40 years and don't remember the cost.

Two23
10-Jan-2020, 20:25
Kent Where can we see your pictures? I'd love to look at them.

I've posted quite a few here, and all over the place. Here's some links. Keep in mind I use a bunch of different cameras, everything from ancient medium format (Brownie, Cocarette, Rolleiflex, etc.) to older 35mm (Leica IIIc, Ansco Memo) to large format and of course a Nikon D850. I seem to have "phases" where I do different subjects. Currently I like shooting abandoned farm houses with 4x5 & 5x7 film, and country churches with wet plate. This weekend is the start of ice racing season (motorcycles on frozen lakes) so I'll be doing that on the weekends too.

Anything black & white was shot on film (or plates).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96826069@N00/albums/72157694462815485

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96826069@N00/albums/72157666630589268

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KentStaubus/photos_all

Photography wise, I'm all over the place.

Kent in SD