PDA

View Full Version : Shanghai 8x10 100 Film Test

ic-racer
22-Dec-2019, 21:37
I got some Shanghai 8x10 100 film to try. I ran a strip of it against HP5 that I usually use.

Both strips processed at the same time.

H&D Curves:

ic-racer
22-Dec-2019, 21:37
Results show it to be three stops slower than the HP5. Those "ISO" numbers are compared to some Tri-x previously tested and defined in the software as "ISO 400"

blue4130
23-Dec-2019, 02:44
Sounds about right, I have been shooting it in 4x5 for a few years (probably 1000 sheets at this point) and I settled on 50 iso working well for me.

Tin Can
23-Dec-2019, 05:31
Good to hear, seems most film works best at 1/2 rated ASA

took me some time to accept that all film is rated by all manufacturers incorrectly one stop fast

I made a lot of thin negs

Sounds about right, I have been shooting it in 4x5 for a few years (probably 1000 sheets at this point) and I settled on 50 iso working well for me.

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Dec-2019, 13:43
I shot my 14x17 at ISO 80 and developed in Pyrocat HD 2:2:100 and the negs came out great for carbon. Good stuff.

ic-racer
23-Dec-2019, 15:24
Good to hear, seems most film works best at 1/2 rated ASA

took me some time to accept that all film is rated by all manufacturers incorrectly one stop fast

I made a lot of thin negs

Realize in my test I'm comparing it to HP5 and Tri-x which I defined as "400." This is not any in-camera test, so if one's "in-camera" test requires those films to be rated at 200, then this Shanghai would likely need to be 25.

I recently got a new meter (Sekonic 588), so I have yet to re do my in-camera test with the new meter. Right now I just pointed the new meter and old meter at a number of targets and adjusted the calibration of the 588 so they read the same. I have yet to confirm with in-camera test at this time.

That in-camera test needs to be done with daylight and it is dark when I go to work and dark when I come home. (shortest day was just yesterday).

Tin Can
23-Dec-2019, 16:17
I just read Fred Picker's take on film speed and compensation, from his old newsletters.

Very interesting

Thanks for posting your results!

ic-racer
23-Dec-2019, 18:20
I just read Fred Picker's take on film speed and compensation, from his old newsletters.

Very interesting

Thanks for posting your results!

I still do my in-camera test like in the book. I expose a uniform target at various meter EI settings and use the one that resulted in 0.1 density on the film. With LF it is important to focus at infinity, not on the target (unless you WANT the bellows factor for that actual target distance always incorporated in your EI)

Erik Gould
24-Dec-2019, 06:15
That’s the Shanghai on the left? I have found to build contrast quickly. I rate it at 50 and develop it in Pyrocat HD, 1:1:50. Seems to tame it fairly well. I’m always happy when someone else’s tests confirm my own experiences.

Willie
24-Dec-2019, 08:20
Three questions on the film.
Glitches and problems with the emulsion finally gone away?
How does it compare to Ilforf FP4+ in tonal separation, especially in mid tones?
How does it react with plus and minus development compared to our old standbys, FP4+ and Tri-X?

sperdynamite
24-Dec-2019, 10:12
If believe this is also available as Catlabs 80 in 35mm to 8x10. I have a box and I look forward to shooting it.

I do not believe it will sway me from FP4+ however.

ic-racer
24-Dec-2019, 15:42
That’s the Shanghai on the left? I have found to build contrast quickly. I rate it at 50 and develop it in Pyrocat HD, 1:1:50. Seems to tame it fairly well. I’m always happy when someone else’s tests confirm my own experiences.

The Shanghai is slower and, per convention of H&D curve, Shanghai is the curve on the right.

ic-racer
24-Dec-2019, 15:49
How does it compare to Ilforf FP4+ in tonal separation, especially in mid tones?
How does it react with plus and minus development compared to our old standbys, FP4+ and Tri-X?

I have only processed 6 sheets so far, but emulsion seems fine.

The long toe does not provide good shadow separation of tones. Mid curve is pretty straight, similar to FP4.

I process all my film at the same gamma for printing but I don't see anything to suggest the Shanghai would not respond the correct way to alterations in development time.

TimeShare
9-Jan-2020, 09:22

I have not tested the 8x10 version but I found significant quality control issues when I ordered Shanghai 120 rolls for my 6x6 gear.

I switched to Arista EDU for my 120, 4x5 and 8x10 needs which has provided consistent quality.

Where does everyone order their Shanghai from if they are achieving consistent quality product ?