PDA

View Full Version : Need help reassembling an Optimo shutter

Gizmo
20-Dec-2019, 12:48
I recently came into ownership of a magnificent shutter design by Andrew Wollensak in which he received a patent for on June 14, 1910 (US Patent No. 961,192). I toke on the project of refurbishing the shutter and with great care photographed each step of the disassembly with over 100 photos. Cleaned all the parts to mint condition using an ultrasonic cleaner. With great anticipation, I was looking forward to starting the reassembly. I got my laptop out to loaded the photos and start work. The photos where crisp and clear and reassembly was going to be a joy. Installed the first part as per photo, looked up to check the photo and my computer was having a "heart attack", have no idea what happened except all the photos where gone. I tried many different data recovery programs with no look. After an exhaustive look for the original patent, I was able to reconstruct about 90 % of the shutter with parts left with no idea were they go. After studying the patent, Andrew Wollensak was a genius without question. As an engineer, I came to appreciate his design and the era of mechanical innovations.

This forum is my last hope to try and hold on to a piece of history that is worth preserving. Is there any information that some one can offer to help in my quest to preserve this mechanical invention over 100 years old. The ideal solution would be a service manual but any information would be greatly appreciated. The shutter in question is Optimo No. 4, Patent June 14, 1910, Wollensak Optical Co., Rochester N.Y. USA

Whir-Click
20-Dec-2019, 14:58
I share your affection for the Optimo and I honor you for your painstaking restoration work. How horrible to see your thorough documentation gone in a flash!

I wish I had Wollensak’s Optimo technical drawings or a service manual to share, but I have only seen the attached from a 1917 guide to “Photographic Inter-Lens Shutters”, which shows a 1a. I’ll also post a few pictures of my Optimo 4, but only as far as I’m able to disassemble at this time.

I wish you luck!

Whir-Click
20-Dec-2019, 14:59

cowanw
20-Dec-2019, 16:28
Buy another and use it for a model.

Gizmo
20-Dec-2019, 19:09

Thank you so much for the photos, they will be of great help to confirm what I did and resolve the problem with the extra parts. I will make it a point to let you know how I made out. Thanks again for your kindness.

Tim Deming
21-Dec-2019, 12:53
Good job! For future reference, you most likely dont need to do a full disassembly to clean or repair a shutter. I’ve repaired/cleaned hundreds and at most only had to do a partial disassembly of a sub unit.

Jim Graves
28-Dec-2019, 00:06
Here are a couple of illustrations and instruction for the Optimo ... by people who knew what they were doing and one drawing with notes by someone who didn't (me) ... but may be helpful in identifying which spring goes where ... because the drawing shows what the springs look like when thay have been removed from the shutter and when they are in place in the shutter.

The professional pages are from a 1917 "Illustrated Guide and Descriptions of Photographic Inter-Lens Shutters with Directions for Cleaning and Repairing." (If anybody would like a scan of any of these shutters, just shoot me a personal message.)

Shutters covered in this Guide are:
Compound
Volute
Xexcell
Optimo
Multispeed
Ernemann
Koilos
Regno
Automat
E.K. Automatic
F.P.K. Automatic
Ingento Junior
Kodak Ball Bearing
Ingento No. 0
Ilex Acme
Compur
Tenax

The version I have is a reprint ... certainly worth having if you can find one.

Gizmo
28-Dec-2019, 19:06
Thank you very much for your help in resolving my problem of assembling the shutter. The information you sent to me is most valuable. Thank you.

ibabcock
31-Oct-2020, 13:59
I just cleaned an Optimo, wasn't wanting to go past removing front face and flushing, but the aperture jammed up at the last minute (I think as I kept working it wet it began to dry out and then was sticking to itself). I took the whole thing out down to the base tray and boy I am glad - it was full of gray sludge. I got it back together and it is working strange - B and T dont work, but on any speed, the first time you cock the shutter it is like T, the second time it fires properly. Took a while to realize this, I've read others talking about B and T problems. I am totally satisfied with this - I can use my first "exposure" to focus, 2nd to expose the film. Others might find the same issue. I did find a spring missing after reassembly that I remember putting in, but after some experimentation I don't actually think this is causing the unusual activity. I know this thread is a little old but I am so happy with my project and have pics to share to anyone who needs them.