PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Readyload holder

Dawid
30-Nov-2005, 06:26
Hi

I have a Crown Graphic with a Graflok back and got the new Readyload holder (via post) today but although it fits onto the back I am not entirely sure exactly how it is suppose to fit as there isn't really anything holding it there apart from the top and bottom slide locks which doesn't slide into anything.

Am I right to assume that the whole back comes off and then the Readyload fits on it alone -- or does it slide under the springloaded back which then acts as a sort of pressure plate holding the readyload holder there ?

I've never done LF before, never even seen it so everthing is virgin territory.

Thanks for help

Cheers
Dawid

Paul Cocklin
30-Nov-2005, 06:31
Hi David, welcome to large format.. The readyload holder slides under the spring loaded ground glass just like a normal film holder.
Paul

Henry Friedman
30-Nov-2005, 07:21
Speaking of regular filmholders, AKA "double darks", you may want to pick up a couple of those to get started on. I love Readyloads, but the film is expensive, and if you're like most of us, you'll be making plenty of mistakes at first. These will include, but are not limited to: failing to close the shutter before pulling the slide, exposing at the wrong speed/aperture, double exposing, not exposing, forgetting filter factors or reciprocity, fogging the film edge, etc, etc.

You'll kick yourself less hard if the film is .70 per failure, rather than $2.50 (for B&W).

Have fun.

steve simmons
30-Nov-2005, 08:34
If you are new to large format there are several articles in the free Articles sectionh of our web site that will be helpful

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

Kevin Crisp
30-Nov-2005, 11:34
Dawid: If you are handholding the Crown (or using the optical finder on a tripod) and not using the ground glass for focussing, you can take the ground glass off (push down on the flats of the two bars and slide it to the right) and then mount the readyloader on the back in place of the ground glass back. By sliding the graflok bars into the locked position, they will go into the slots in the holder and hold it tightly to the back. (At least mine works this way, make sure it is tight, or course.) You will have a smaller, lighter camera to handle. It will, of course, work just fine if you leave the ground glass back on and use the readyloader as others have suggested. I just thought I'd mention this option.

Sal Santamaura
30-Nov-2005, 11:36
"...they will go into the slots in the holder and hold it tightly to the back..."

The most recent ReadyLoad holders don't have slots.

Dawid
1-Dec-2005, 16:29
Thanks for all the replies! The LF forums are fantastic.
Don't tell my wife, but she had indeed the right idea with the readyload slipping in under the springloaded back. Unfortunately the new readyload doesn't have the slots for the sliding locks so it will be risky using it without the full back attached.