PDA

View Full Version : FB Enlarging paper availability at B&H

Greg Y
16-Dec-2019, 17:53
I've been buying enlarging paper from B&H for many years. Lately they have less in stock & more items tagged "special order. Expected availability 2-4 weeks."
I ordered some 16x20 Foma Variant lll (and paid on ordering plus shipping charges)
on Sept 2..... It was delivered today Dec 16: 3 months later. Makes it tough to print a project with those kind of timelines. At the moment BH has only Ilford & a little Bergger in 16x20. From the outside it seems as if B&H is downsizing their enlarging paper inventory....

LabRat
16-Dec-2019, 18:24
I know that with Freestyle, they make bulk purchases a few times a year, but they can sell out stock in between, so a wait until the next container comes in...

I buy from them locally, but I make sure to call in advance to reserve what maybe is the last 3 or so in stock so it is there when I stop by...

Drew Wiley
16-Dec-2019, 18:57
You should plan to keep about six months worth of your preferred paper on hand unless its a very common Ilford product, and even certain Ilford papers can be unavailable for several months on end. It's probably a combination of several factors, including how often a particular paper is made and the amount the official importer brings in at a time. I see no evidence that B&H is lowering their commitment. You could ask them. But being a major dealer to many people, they might turn over inventory quite a bit faster too. Usually when they're out of something, so are other sources. Foma is a relatively minor player in the US, so that could be a factor too.

agregov
16-Dec-2019, 19:29
That may not be a B&H issue. Foma often goes months with some paper types out of stock in the US. If you use Foma quite often, I'd suggest ordering from Freestyle. I find them more reliable for Foma inventory. That said, I've sometimes waited months for Foma to restock them. Paper manufacturer does make a difference.

Greg Y
16-Dec-2019, 19:58
Thanks all. It looks like a Foma issue. Too bad, since i really like the paper....much more so than Ilford Classic. As i mentioned above B&H has very little in stock in FB 16x20 which...used to be a very common size. Drew, I may as you suggested give them a call.... but they were noticeably unhelpful during the 3 month wait.

Alan9940
16-Dec-2019, 21:25
@Greg Y, have you considered fotoimpex? I've ordered several 100-sheet boxes from them over the past couple of years and they're very reliable. I tend to make a larger order when I do order to mitigate the shipping cost.

Greg Y
16-Dec-2019, 23:05
Thank you Alan, i may well consider them. BH free shipping has been an incentive in the past.

Paul Ron
17-Dec-2019, 06:31
its very sad to see how little B&H has in the store as well. their darkroom supply section has dwindled to one rack. paper is a sad selection of what seems to be slow movers.

B&H mail order is the best way to go now. they ship fast n its free.

Drew Wiley
17-Dec-2019, 11:31
I've heard that. But maybe their much bigger warehouse inventory doesn't even need to be pushed in the store. That kind of retailing might be secondary business to them now; same goes for Freestyle. It's remarkable how fast they get goods to me, clear across the country. But
Foma is more the kind of brand Freestyle pushes, and I know that some of their private-label Arista products are Foma mfg.

Greg Y
17-Dec-2019, 12:45
Foma is more the kind of brand Freestyle pushes, and I know that some of their private-label Arista products are Foma mfg.
Oddly enough, at Freestyle both Arista & Foma Variant (16x20x25shts) are identically priced..... so what's the incentive to buy the house brand, considering one doesn't know exactly what product it is?

John Layton
17-Dec-2019, 13:38
Although I've been buying from B+H for ages, and while most of my students over the years as well as (it seems) lots of folks on this forum have visited B+H in person, I have never done this. Such a visit has been on my bucket-list forever it seems - but now...learning about what sounds like a very small number of film related products actually on display there - I'm thinking that a visit now might just be too depressing.

Bob Salomon
17-Dec-2019, 13:40
Although I've been buying from B+H for ages, and while most of my students over the years as well as (it seems) lots of folks on this forum have visited B+H in person, I have never done this. Such a visit has been on my bucket-list forever it seems - but now...learning about what sounds like a very small number of film related products actually on display there - I'm thinking that a visit now might just be too depressing.

Why. You could also visit Adorama and K&M in Manhattan and possibly go see Unique in NJ a short ride away.

Fred L
17-Dec-2019, 15:17
I've never used Foma, but Bergger Neutral is now my main paper. Maybe give that paper a whirl ? I'm also still trying to figure out the new Oriental, cuz the price is sooooo good.

reddesert
17-Dec-2019, 16:46

I haven't been there in years (I live on the other side of the country), but I'm sure there's something to look at. Although the art gallery scene in Manhattan has changed a lot, there would surely be some exhibitions in the area worth going to as well. (Don't forget, B&H is closed on Saturdays, art galleries often closed Sunday and Monday, museum closing days vary.)

In the early 90s before they opened the current superstore/showroom, IIRC, B&H had a smaller storefront near 6th Av that was basically a counter where most of the goods were in the back, and there was less to gawk at. You went up to the counter (I think it was always crowded), told them what you needed, and someone picked the order for you and it came out from the back. There were things on display in the front, but a tiny fraction of what they carried.

Drew Wiley
17-Dec-2019, 17:04
I remember when Gasser in SF had all their film and paper in a back room. You went to the designated counter and asked. What's to see about a box anyway?

Bob Salomon
17-Dec-2019, 17:35
I remember when Gasser in SF had all their film and paper in a back room. You went to the designated counter and asked. What's to see about a box anyway?

You mean with Ernie in the basement? Used to have to inventory our Gepe mounts down there!

Drew Wiley
17-Dec-2019, 17:37
You have quite a memory, Bob!

Bob Salomon
17-Dec-2019, 17:42
You have quite a memory, Bob!

If you had to make your way behind that counter you would too. Especially if you ever used the bathroom down there!

Drew Wiley
17-Dec-2019, 17:56
They did call it the basement, now that you remind me. It was down a minor set of stairs below the Large Format counter. Never used their bathroom. Was there Dektol in the bowl?

Bob Salomon
17-Dec-2019, 18:16
They did call it the basement, now that you remind me. It was down a minor set of stairs below the Large Format counter. Never used their bathroom. Was there Dektol in the bowl?

Not quite, tried not to look too closely.

LabRat
17-Dec-2019, 18:28
In the early 90s before they opened the current superstore/showroom, IIRC, B&H had a smaller storefront near 6th Av that was basically a counter where most of the goods were in the back, and there was less to gawk at. You went up to the counter (I think it was always crowded), told them what you needed, and someone picked the order for you and it came out from the back. There were things on display in the front, but a tiny fraction of what they carried.

I remember even earlier (late 70's) way downtown where they had a very dark place lit only by dim single light bulbs dangling on wires here and there, and chicken wire lined pen like areas to divide, and nasty salesmen who didn't give you attention, and when they did, demanded you buy something that very second!!!

I was there with someone, and we both were a little afraid, when the help threw the item on the rickety counter, and demanded money... I asked if there was a USA warranty, and he snapped " YES", but I asked to see it, and he cursed as he dug through the box to find a half faded xerox of a warranty card in Farsi... I said NO, and left... Went uptown and found another and swore NEVER to shop there again!!!

Glad to see they cleaned up their act, but have only ordered a filter or two from them since...

Steve K

Joe O'Hara
17-Dec-2019, 19:02
I've visited the 9th Avenue store several times in the last 8 years or so and found the salespeople very professional
and the experience pain-free.

I buy most of what I get from them online and have no complaints about their customer service.

A visit is definitely worthwhile if you're in town, just for the spectacle of the place, and especially for the little trains
that run around the place carrying boxes from the storeroom to whichever sales person called for it.

The only thing I've seen that's similar is Yodobashi Camera in Osaka, but I'd recommend bringing foam ear plugs
if you plan to visit them. Last time I was there they had a good collection of both used and new LF equipment,
but the "company song" playing over the PA system can make it difficult to concentrate.

Cor
18-Dec-2019, 02:26
"Trip down memory lane" time it seems.. About 25 years ago during my first visit to NYC I visited 47st Photo, a funny place with a lot of counters and the staff beeing all orthodox Jews, going up and down ladders to pick up the goods you wanted to see and buy. They were friendly and I bought a Tiltall tripod and a Minolta Spot meter, which I still have. Also went Lens and Repro (?) as well as a big store the name I forgot, but the guy behind the counter was using a black felt pen to make second hand black Nikons look "nicer"... Tried to buy a Minox in those abundant photo annex suitcase shops, but the staff was extremy rude, so I didn't..

Oh well

Best,

Cor

dcfl
20-Dec-2019, 21:52
I remember that place in the 70's, had to walk side ways to get down the isles, haha, just to get to certain place, have not visited their new store. No reason to go there.