PDA

View Full Version : Print contrast issue

bill2424
13-Dec-2019, 12:13
I have a negative I made in the 80s and printed several times in the past with good results when printing with a #5 filter. I haven't printed it in a few years and attempted to print it recently but can not get the same contrast I did before. Is there a paper that might give me more contrast
then Ilford Classic? I have printed it on Ilford paper before when it was MGFB paper. I have thought of trying to intensify the negative but worry about damaging the negative.

revdoc
13-Dec-2019, 13:56
I'd try a new set ofMC filters before anything else. They do fade over time.

bill2424
13-Dec-2019, 14:12
I'll give that a try thanks

Vaughn
13-Dec-2019, 14:16
If you decide to intensify, and if the negative has enough meat to it, selenium toning is safe. Soak bath, tone 1:4 to completion, rinse, HCA, wash.

But good luck in printing!

Pieter
13-Dec-2019, 14:35
I have a negative I made in the 80s and printed several times in the past with good results when printing with a #5 filter. I haven't printed it in a few years and attempted to print it recently but can not get the same contrast I did before. Is there a paper that might give me more contrast
then Ilford Classic? I have printed it on Ilford paper before when it was MGFB paper. I have thought of trying to intensify the negative but worry about damaging the negative.

Same enlarger (a diffusion head won't give you as much contrast as a condenser), darkroom, safelights, developer?

Huub
14-Dec-2019, 03:04
I never tried it myself, but in several posts here and on photrio on the topic of printing soft negatives it is suggested to use a #47 blue filter to achieve the maximum possible contrast.

esearing
14-Dec-2019, 03:52
If your #5 filter is working correctly and you can't get enough contrast - try bergger CN with Ansco 130 developer 1:1. Also try your developer at different temperatures or dilutions, longer exposure/development, or maybe a different developer.

Jeroen
14-Dec-2019, 06:28
Old paper developer? Old paper?

ic-racer
14-Dec-2019, 06:55
made in the 80s and printed several times in the past

As far as I know the current #5 Ilford filter for the contemporary Ilford MG paper is different than the #5 filter from the 1980s. The new 4 and 5 filters look 'salmon' color.

https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Multigrade/tn_7%20filter%20Multigrade.jpg

Drew Wiley
16-Dec-2019, 19:17
MGWT will achieve a deeper DMax than Classic, so that could be a factor.

Vaughn
16-Dec-2019, 20:27
Off the wall -- your safelight. You might want to run a test on your safelight situation to see if it is cutting your contrast any on the new paper.

jose angel
17-Dec-2019, 00:37
If things get very difficult, don't discard digital processing. This may be an occasion to use it (I don't think it's me who writes this... :eek:)