PDA

View Full Version : My first 4x5 photo

BertieWooster
12-Dec-2019, 14:44
I've only recently bought my own 4x5 camera (a Sinar P/F combo) and lenses, thanks in no small part to the good advice I received on this forum.

This is my very first large format photo. I know a pet photo isn't the most original choice, but it was mostly to check that everything was working OK!

Ilford HP5, Schneider Kreuznach Symmar-S 300mm 5.6 @ f16 (I think).

Critiques pertaining to my use of the camera and lens are welcome, but please keep in mind that it was mostly a test (snatched during a very brief moment of bright sunlight pouring in through the window). Frankly, I'm just impressed that it came out properly!

Peter Collins
12-Dec-2019, 15:07
Your first is much, much better than my first! Keep moving!

gimenosaiz
12-Dec-2019, 15:59
Hi!!!
Congratulations :-)
I don't know if it is the most original or not ... but I'm sure that it's not the easier, hahahahaha!!

More!
Antonio

Vaughn
12-Dec-2019, 16:07
Great!

gnuyork
12-Dec-2019, 17:55
Damn great job on the first one... and more importantly - cute dog!

Ethan
12-Dec-2019, 19:04
Awesome! (And cute dog!) did you tone the print? Or is it just a scan?

mikeacar
12-Dec-2019, 20:26
Niiice

-- Mike

Mark Sampson
12-Dec-2019, 20:52
Your exposure looks ok, focus falls on your dog's eye, composition is effective. A good start, keep working.

BertieWooster
12-Dec-2019, 22:22
Awesome! (And cute dog!) did you tone the print? Or is it just a scan?

Thank you :) It's just a scan from my V600, which I tinted slightly in Lightroom.

Thanks everyone else for the nice comments. I hope to use this camera an awful lot in future.

jtomasella
13-Dec-2019, 11:06
Thank you :) It's just a scan from my V600, which I tinted slightly in Lightroom.

Thanks everyone else for the nice comments. I hope to use this camera an awful lot in future.

What do you use to hold your negative? I made something out of card stock, tried a few different heights but all scans from my v600 are still soft compared to ones I get from the lab

BertieWooster
13-Dec-2019, 13:36
What do you use to hold your negative? I made something out of card stock, tried a few different heights but all scans from my v600 are still soft compared to ones I get from the lab

I did the same, made a crude holder out of pieces of mount board and card. It isn't very sharp, but then I don't know how sharp it ought to be. Here's a close-up. Certainly I'd hope the negative is sharper than this.

Andy Eads
13-Dec-2019, 13:41
Bertie, Nice work. Looking forward to seeing your work. Looks like you have everything well in hand. - Andy

Eliverto
13-Dec-2019, 18:50
Nice one, many more to come!

jtomasella
14-Dec-2019, 06:27
I did the same, made a crude holder out of pieces of mount board and card. It isn't very sharp, but then I don't know how sharp it ought to be. Here's a close-up. Certainly I'd hope the negative is sharper than this.

It looks pretty good. I had the same problem with sharpness. My first photos I took to the lab because under a loope they were sharp but not the scan. Well the lab scan really showed the sharpness, I was impressed with the amount of detail I saw in those scans.