PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x8.5

Jim Cee
9-Dec-2019, 17:15
Greetings. I am considering an Okuhara 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 I found online. Will the Rittreck holders fit? I am also wondering about the availability of film. Any help will be greatly appreciated. -Jim

Oren Grad
9-Dec-2019, 17:19
The old Japanese whole-plate cameras that you see on eBay generally take proprietary book-form film/plate holders rather than modern block-form film/plate holders like the Rittreck holders. You would have to have a new back made if you want to use the Rittreck holders, or other modern whole-plate cut film holders such as the ones currently offered by Chamonix.

Greg
9-Dec-2019, 17:54
Acquired a 6.5x8.5 Chamonix a few years ago. After I acquired the camera to save $$$, I bought I believe, 6 older holders off eBay for little money, figuring that I would restore them. Of the six holders, only one fit the Chamonix, and the rest couldn't be used with the Chamonix. In the end just bought some new 6.5x8.5 Chamonix holders and never looked back. Just be aware that, per my experience, there are a lot of different kinds of 6.5x8.5 holders out there. Over the years have also purchased many types/brands of 8x10 holders and all could be used with my 8x10 Sinar Norma. From my experience, there are a lot of different 6.5x8.5 holders out there that are not standardized/interchangeable, but not so with 8x10 holders...

Oren Grad
9-Dec-2019, 18:27
Greg, what you're talking about is the variation in dimensions of block-form holders in the WP format. And that is a real issue. But the OP is asking about a camera that takes book-form holders, which is an entirely different kettle of fish. No block-form holders will fit, regardless of dimensions.

Duolab123
9-Dec-2019, 19:49
Perfect sized print!

Ron (Netherlands)
10-Dec-2019, 01:29
Have just restored a full plate camera (old Eastman, built in Britain) which came with 3 matching plate holders. I'm still looking to acquire some film to try out the camera. However as it seems, full plate film is one of the hardest to find - ASAIK only Ilford is making it once a year but in that case you have to buy a certain quantity.

Andrew Plume
10-Dec-2019, 04:32
Hi Ron/Jim

Have you considered asking https://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/filme/planfilme/ if Adox are able to supply (even though this isn't mentioned on said website)......?

regards

Andrew

Andrew Plume
10-Dec-2019, 04:44
Just a further thought

The Whole Plate format seems to have been popular/is fairly popular in Japan. 'kumar' who frequently sells on here and who is a very highly rated seller may be able to help you out, who knows he may be able to source an entire kit for the OP

regards

Andrew

Ben Haning
10-Dec-2019, 06:17
I would also recommend contacting Kumar. I bought a Tachihara whole plate camera with film holders from him earlier this year. For film I bought some 8x10 xray film and a rotary cutter and cut 1.5 inches off each side. Since xray film is not sensitive to red light I can cut the film and load the film holders under a red safe light. The xray film costs about a dollar a sheet so it seems like one way to lower the cost of shooting whole plate.
Ben

Oren Grad
10-Dec-2019, 07:39
ASAIK only Ilford is making it once a year but in that case you have to buy a certain quantity.

No, the point of the annual special program has been that there is no minimum quantity required, at least for sheet film (there has been for some roll films, because of the procedures required for cutting those). If you want to order outside of the special program, at other times during the year, then there would be a substantial minimum required.

Peter Gomena
10-Dec-2019, 17:01
Blue Moon Camera has 6.5 x 8.5" Ilford Delta 100 in stock.

alfredian
10-Dec-2019, 20:57
A couple of bits of info to provide here - I just re-bellowed a Kodak Model 2 & have in hand a bunch of the Rittreck Hope Full/Whole Plate holders.. BUT they are too long in the locking-ridge dimension for the Kodak. I contacted R. Ritter who will be enlarging the opening in the Kodak back to take the Rittrecks. Kumar saw my first post and offered me a Rittreck cam in 5x7 with a Full plate adapter, which I now have. All I need is film & a couple of lens holders (on the way) to take pics.
I have a great sheet/paper cutter from Office Da Pot that has a tiny blade &/or wheel that cuts film just loverly, so I'm good until Ilford's next show. I also phoned Blue Moon & the fellow who answered said they were out of stock for Full Plate film &/or holders.

so far, contact Kumar to see what he has to advise or even offer. Final note - I have a six-pack of just beautiful & legitimately "near mint" full plate film holders that are (feature this now) about 1/8" wider than the Rittrecks & thus too wide to fit the Kodak and even longer in the L-ridge dimension! They came with a couple of demo sheets of film that fit those units nicely & the other ones (branded Rittreck) a bit more loosely but okay). The minty ones have not logos/names on them. I also emailed Hugo Zhang about the Chamonix full plate holder & by his photo/diagrams that he sent they are like the Rittreck Hope ones, not the Kodak ones. Given that (as I grasp the historical trail) Tachichara begat Rittreck maybe the Rittreck Hope holders are the path ahead? Such fun doing all this, so why do people "go digital"? Where's the fun in that, alfredian

Oren Grad
10-Dec-2019, 21:17
I also emailed Hugo Zhang about the Chamonix full plate holder & by his photo/diagrams that he sent they are like the Rittreck Hope ones, not the Kodak ones.

I own both Chamonix and Eastman WP holders and I've owned Rittreck ones as well. The Chamonix holders are closer to the Eastman ones - they fit my Eastman No. 2, while the Rittreck holders did not.

alfredian
10-Dec-2019, 21:27
Oren - thanks for the rapid reply. I was basing my decision/assessment based on dimensions provided in Hugo Zhang's attached images (dimensions dubbed on by the sender) and my measurements of my Kodak No.2 full plate back. I shall reconnect with HZ & for-sure now, I do have a matching set of 18 Rittreck full plate holders and a designed-to-match camera. --alfredian

Oren Grad
10-Dec-2019, 21:56
Oren - thanks for the rapid reply. I was basing my decision/assessment based on dimensions provided in Hugo Zhang's attached images (dimensions dubbed on by the sender) and my measurements of my Kodak No.2 full plate back. I shall reconnect with HZ & for-sure now, I do have a matching set of 18 Rittreck full plate holders and a designed-to-match camera. --alfredian

For your entertainment:

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?80644-Whole-Plate-Standardization