PDA

View Full Version : another sort-of-Phillips-clone from China

Oren Grad
28-Nov-2005, 01:55
But really big this time:

cgi.ebay.com/Mint-16X20-WOODEN-FIELD-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ7567520843QQcategoryZ15248QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-16X20-WOODEN-FIELD-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ7567520843QQcategoryZ15248QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Michael Jones
28-Nov-2005, 06:16
Oren:

Since Dick is no longer making ULF cameras (and made only a couple of 12x20s), it is a bit refreshing to see a mother of a camera that does not weigh as much as the vehicle you carry it in. Having used Phillips' cameras for years, I’d wager this 16x20 may be rather comfortable to use if made with some care and precision. I wish I had a few extra buckets of money.

Mike

Philip_5765
28-Nov-2005, 06:44
That's awesome. Next time I am in China, I am going to try to get an ULF for myself. I am sure the guy selling them on ebay is bumping up the price by 100%. It helps that I speak chinese.

M

Jorge Gasteazoro
28-Nov-2005, 08:22
Well hell Morgan, next time you are inc China let us all know, I would not mind if you made a few bucks off of us if we can get it cheaper. Sadly I am in the same boat as Michael, no money to bid for this one.

Frank Petronio
28-Nov-2005, 08:39
How do they get the reference to copy from? Did Dick sell a lot of cameras to Chinese photographers?

It looks pretty legit and quite pretty. If it doesn't harm Dick, then I'm glad they are making them.

The other question is who are the Chinese photographers using them? I would love to see the work they are producing with these ULF cameras.

And finally, is the "View Camera Club" some store in Hong Kong or Bejing? Not that I would make a special trip, but if I were there I'd love to look them up.

Oren Grad
28-Nov-2005, 08:41
I'll bet there's an interesting story about how the design made its way to whoever is building these. I remember Dick telling me that many of his sales in recent years have been to Hong Kong and China.

Oren Grad
28-Nov-2005, 08:46
I would love to see the work they are producing with these ULF cameras.

When we last spoke about it, Dick mentioned that he had a sense that there was a bit of a fad to use big cameras to make group snapshots. You could think of it as a particularly delicious form of conspicuous consumption.

Donald Qualls
28-Nov-2005, 11:36
You could think of it as a particularly delicious form of conspicuous consumption.

Or perhaps merely a resurgence of the "banquet photography" that was once common in the United States?

William Mortensen
28-Nov-2005, 11:57
Quite the innovative lens shade shown in one of the pictures. Is this a new idea, or has that been around a while?

robert_4927
28-Nov-2005, 12:00
Mark, Ebony has been using that type of lens shade for some time now.

Jorge Gasteazoro
28-Nov-2005, 12:05
It has been around for a long time. It is called the "flare buster" and they have a web site, but apparently they dont respond to e mails.... :-(

robert_4927
28-Nov-2005, 12:10
What is Canadian Gumwood? Never heard of it, especially for camera construction.

Doug Dolde
28-Nov-2005, 17:05
I just can't imagine why anyone would want a camera that big.

Oren Grad
28-Nov-2005, 17:25
Because contact prints are extremely cool. I'd love to see what the Schneider 550 XXL could do on this thing.

Jim collum
28-Nov-2005, 17:28
man, i'd *love* a camera that big. how's availability of color negative film at that size? (at all?)

jim

Mark Woods
28-Nov-2005, 18:49
The "flare buster" is called a French Flag in the motion picture business. I looked on the Mole-Richardson Studio Depot website, but didn't see one listed. I've seen them in the store. They have a lot of other stuff at good prices that many of you use. (I have no connection to MR, although I've known the 3 brothers who own it for about 25 years and they're good guys and make GREAT lights for those of you that use "hot" lights.)

http://www.studiodepot.com/store/

Kind Regards,

MW

Jorge Gasteazoro
28-Nov-2005, 19:46
The french flag is there Mark, I did a search and found it....but is $99. The Flare Buster is $40......if I can get those guys I will try the FB one more time..if not the french flag it is....

Mark Woods
28-Nov-2005, 20:04
Jorge,
Is there an arm that is cheaper? If there is, get a piece of sheet metal and spray it black and punch a hole in it, or clamp it to the arm. I actually have some of the arms with ball joints and wing nuts that I never use. I think they're heavier than what you want, but I have 4 of them and am not using them (for many years) and would love to get rid of them.

Kind Regards,
MW

Frank Petronio
28-Nov-2005, 20:15
Lowel, the hot light maker, makes a thin, light flex arm with a clip on one end and a "Tota" connector on the other. They also make barndoors and other gadgets that would adapt well to make odd lenshades. Hmmm... now I got see about riviting a Tota connector onto my front standard - thanks for the idea.

tim atherton
28-Nov-2005, 20:48
http://tinyurl.com/c7oo2

http://porters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PCS&Product_Code=130492&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

+ if you get the porters catalogue with your order you will find more itsty bity photo gizmos than you could ever imagine...

Jim Chinn
29-Nov-2005, 13:15
Does that camera fold up or do you transport it with a permanent 18-20" lengthwise dimension.
I don't seem to see where the bed folds anywhere.

Kerry L. Thalmann
29-Nov-2005, 14:24
Jim - Does that camera fold up or do you transport it with a permanent 18-20" lengthwise dimension. I don't seem to see where the bed folds anywhere.

Jim,

Since it is a copy of the Phillips design, I suspect it folds up the same way a Phillips does. The front standard unscrews from the base and gets flipped over and folded down. The back then folds forward using the hinges where the back attaches to the base.

There's some photos (http://largeformatphotography.info/cameras/phillips/) of a Phillips Compact II on the static pages of this site that will give you an idea how it works.

Kerry

tim atherton
29-Nov-2005, 15:08
Jim - exactly as Kerry explains - in the last photo you can see the series of four or so holes where you can set the front standard for different extensions.

You just undo that base knob on the front standard and flip the standard around for closing, then fold the back down

jhogan
29-Nov-2005, 18:20
RE: French Flags- It's easy to make a really cheap (and effective) version from a couple of alligator clips, black mat board, and armature wire. Armature wire has terrific pliability, allowing it to be shaped into virtually any form. It's like slighty more rigid soldering wire... It's used often on motion picture shoots.

It can be found in art stores. Here's a picture. (http://www.reuels.com/reuels/product13746.html) The 1/4" diameter would likely suffice in all but the windiest conditions.

John_4185
29-Nov-2005, 18:42
我买照相机也是

Heck, it is not only a camera, but a camping shelter, all in one.

robc
29-Nov-2005, 19:18
that picture from the front shows a label saying "Chamonix" with what looks like a compass logo. Is that a clue as to the maker?

michael Allen
29-Nov-2005, 19:31
I own an Explorer made by Dick, this camera looks less rigid to me, I think part of this is due to it's size and weight savings. I wouldn't count on the same level of service that Dick provides, these are the only two negatives I see. I'd love to see one offered in 8x20, the price seems right.

Mike A

Ed Richards
29-Nov-2005, 19:39
Get a plamp and and an extra darkslide:

www.tripodhead.com/products/plamp-main.cfm (http://www.tripodhead.com/products/plamp-main.cfm)

Jorge Gasteazoro
29-Nov-2005, 20:14
Get a plamp and and an extra darkslide:

Thanks Ed, that filled the bill...the people from Flare Buster never answered my e mails or answered their phone.....great way to do business huh?