PDA

View Full Version : Best Method For Getting 300mm Bellows Draw on Linhof Master Technika?

LFLarry
1-Dec-2019, 09:08
I am a new Linhof Master Technika owner and I am starting the process of learning the camera.

I mounted my Fuji-C 300mm lens and I must be doing something wrong because I have the bellows fully extended and I am still a little shy of inifinity?

I have the back fully extended backward and the front rails fully out.

Do I have to adjust the bed or something?

I didn't want to stress the bellows any further and thought I better ask for some help here from the group.

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Bob Salomon
1-Dec-2019, 09:43
You may need a extended lens board like the Wista one. Depends if the flange focal length of your lens is longer then the total bellows available.
The Wista board has three threaded extensions and 0, 1 and 3 threaded shutter mounts. Additional extension tubes for the board are available as accessories in 35mm lengths.

But a Master Technika has 400mm of bellows and extension which is much longer then the ffl of your lens. So there might be another problem. Have you extended the rails all the way out?

LFLarry
1-Dec-2019, 09:48
Hi Bob, this was definitely a user error on my part!

I mistakenly put my Fuji-C 300 in the Fuji-C 450 case and vice versa.

I thought I had the 300mm lens mounted, when in fact I had the 450-C. So, silly me on that one!

However, my dummy mistake confirmed what I believed to be true in that the Fuji-C 450 lens can't be used on a flat lens board, but I do believe it can with an extension board which I will verify later today, which would be really great news to have that option.

I am sure there will be more learning/mistakes ahead!

You may need a extended lens board like the Wista one. Depends if the flange focal length of your lens is longer then the total bellows available.
The Wista board has three threaded extensions and 0, 1 and 3 threaded shutter mounts. Additional extension tubes for the board are available as accessories in 35mm lengths.

LFLarry
1-Dec-2019, 11:03
I have an update.

I installed an extension board on the Fuji-C 450mm and that works great now with plenty of extra room to spare and no stress on the bellows.

So now, that means I have a 75, 150, 240, 300, and 450 set of lenses that I can use on this camera.

The 75/150/300 are my smallest lenses and they will be used for hiking/backpacking and I generally use these focal lengths the most for my style of photography anyway.

I think I am in pretty good shape now.

Also, on a side note, I own a Nikkor 240 lens and on a flat lens board it was unusable because the controls were hitting the front standard. I happen to have another short extension board and now I can use this lens too! I thought this info may be helpful to someone in the future searching for this info.

All around a good day and making progress getting my gear squared away for this new camera.

Bob Salomon
1-Dec-2019, 11:26
I have an update.

I installed an extension board on the Fuji-C 450mm and that works great now with plenty of extra room to spare and no stress on the bellows.

So now, that means I have a 75, 150, 240, 300, and 450 set of lenses that I can use on this camera.

The 75/150/300 are my smallest lenses and they will be used for hiking/backpacking and I generally use these focal lengths the most for my style of photography anyway.

I think I am in pretty good shape now.

Also, on a side note, I own a Nikkor 240 lens and on a flat lens board it was unusable because the controls were hitting the front standard. I happen to have another short extension board and now I can use this lens too! I thought this info may be helpful to someone in the future searching for this info.

All around a good day and making progress getting my gear squared away for this new camera.

Your 240 is in a 3 shutter and it was probably mounted on the board without the spacer ring that comes with the shutter. That is why it has the rubbing problem.

LFLarry
1-Dec-2019, 12:17
No, I had the spacer, and it still rubbed. However, it works now and I am happy...

Your 240 is in a 3 shutter and it was probably mounted on the board without the spacer ring that comes with the shutter. That is why it has the rubbing problem.