PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Master Technika Lens Options?

LFLarry
28-Nov-2019, 08:38
I just found a good quality Linhof Mater Technika and it is ordered so I am trying to do three things before its arrival in a few weeks:

1 - Confirm the widest and longest focal lengths that will work on this camera and if a recessed board is required, etc?

2 - Identify some small and lightweight lenses that I can use for hiking/backpacking. I have a standard lens, so looking for options for some small wide-angle and a long lens options. The key here is small and lightweight but still a good optical performer. I plan to be shooting Velvia and Provia.

3 - When I am not hiking/backpacking with this kit, I was thinking about getting the Nikkor 360/500 set. Based on the flange focal distance requirements, technically both lenses should be able to be used with this camera, but wanted to confirm with the group here that the 500 will in fact work?

Thanks

Larry

Len Middleton
28-Nov-2019, 08:57
Larry,
There was a recent discussion on that lenses can be left on a Technika and still close the camera up.
You might find that discussion useful as well.
For the 75 and 90 Super-Angulons I have for my Technika V 4x5, I have mounted them on recessed boards.
Obviously a 360mm telephoto design lens will work as I can focus my dialyte design 355mm Repro-Claron mounted on a flat board down to about 10 feet (about 3m), with the standard 16" (42cm) bellows draw (no rear extension used). I do not know what the flange to focal plane distance for the 500mm tele will be.
Hope that is helpful,
Len

LFLarry
28-Nov-2019, 08:59
Thanks Len. The Nikkor 360mm has a flange focal distance of 261mm and the 500mm has a 349mm, so in theory the 500 should work, but I wanted to confirm with someone that has first hand experience?

I will go check out that other thread.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

Larry,
There was a recent discussion on that lenses can be left on a Technika and still close the camera up.
You might find that discussion useful as well.
For the 75 and 90 Super-Angulons I have for my Technika V 4x5, I have mounted them on recessed boards.
Obviously a 360mm telephoto design lens will work as I can focus my dialyte design 355mm Repro-Claron mounted on a flat board down to about 10 feet (about 3m), with the standard 16" (42cm) bellows draw (no rear extension used). I do not know what the flange to focal plane distance for the 500mm tele will be.
Hope that is helpful,
Len

Bob Salomon
28-Nov-2019, 09:41
The widest lens that mounts on the outside rails is the 72mm. The widest lens that can be used on the rails inside the body is the 45mm. In order to focus a 58 through 45mm you would need the discontinued Linhof Wide Angle Focus Device and flat Technika 23 0 boards. Or you would need the current helical focus mount for each lens but those lenses would have to be factory mounted to the proper helical mount.
Lenses from 72mm to 150mm need the 001015 recessed board. Although the 135 can be used on a flat board. The 150mm needs the recessed board if you want to leave it on the camera folded. Otherwise it to can be on a flat board.
There are no “lightweight” short lenses that fully cover 45 and give movements. The 90 Angulon that many use does not fully cover 45. The Gerogon WA 90mm May work for you but it would not deliver what a 4.5, 5.6, 6.8 or 8.0 Super Angulon, Grandagon N, Fujinon or Nikkor would.
Do be aware, modern WA lenses have fall off from center to edge. This fall off is a problem with transparency film and when using movements. To correct it you need a center filter. Schneider, Rodenstock and Heliopan made the Nikon and Fuji didn’t, even though their lenses have the same falloff. Extreme wides used special center filters.

LFLarry
28-Nov-2019, 10:49
Very helpful Bob, thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.

It sounds like I have my work cut out for me on the wide angle espeically.

Now I have a much better idea of what I am dealing with, so this is really helpful.

The widest lens that mounts on the outside rails is the 72mm. The widest lens that can be used on the rails inside the body is the 45mm. In order to focus a 58 through 45mm you would need the discontinued Linhof Wide Angle Focus Device and flat Technika 23 0 boards. Or you would need the current helical focus mount for each lens but those lenses would have to be factory mounted to the proper helical mount.
Lenses from 72mm to 150mm need the 001015 recessed board. Although the 135 can be used on a flat board. The 150mm needs the recessed board if you want to leave it on the camera folded. Otherwise it to can be on a flat board.

There are no “lightweight” short lenses that fully cover 45 and give movements. The 90 Angulon that many use does not fully cover 45. The Gerogon WA 90mm May work for you but it would not deliver what a 4.5, 5.6, 6.8 or 8.0 Super Angulon, Grandagon N, Fujinon or Nikkor would.
Do be aware, modern WA lenses have fall off from center to edge. This fall off is a problem with transparency film and when using movements. To correct it you need a center filter. Schneider, Rodenstock and Heliopan made the Nikon and Fuji didn’t, even though their lenses have the same falloff. Extreme wides used special center filters.

Pieter
28-Nov-2019, 11:51
I just found a good quality Linhof Mater Technika and it is ordered so I am trying to do three things before its arrival in a few weeks:

1 - Confirm the widest and longest focal lengths that will work on this camera and if a recessed board is required, etc?

2 - Identify some small and lightweight lenses that I can use for hiking/backpacking. I have a standard lens, so looking for options for some small wide-angle and a long lens options. The key here is small and lightweight but still a good optical performer. I plan to be shooting Velvia and Provia.

3 - When I am not hiking/backpacking with this kit, I was thinking about getting the Nikkor 360/500 set. Based on the flange focal distance requirements, technically both lenses should be able to be used with this camera, but wanted to confirm with the group here that the 500 will in fact work?

Thanks

Larry
I hope you have a strong back. A Technika weighs 6 lbs without a lens.

LFLarry
28-Nov-2019, 19:39
Yea, no worries. Got it covered.

Len Middleton
29-Nov-2019, 14:26

I believe the designers graduated from the design school of "If in Doubt, Make It Stout"

Nice precision and versatile camera (and expensive when new), and there are compromises in every design...

LFLarry
29-Nov-2019, 14:39
I agree Len. The 6 lbs is not even a remote concern. Modern DSLRs with their heavy glass weigh nearly the same or even more than this setup. Even if that wasn't true, it doesn't matter because this is my tool of choice and I will make it work whatever it takes. If that means working out more, hiking more for better conditioning, even better then.

I believe the designers graduated from the design school of "If in Doubt, Make It Stout"

Nice precision and versatile camera (and expensive when new), and there are compromises in every design...

darr
29-Nov-2019, 15:35
I am a 5'3" petite female that chooses to shoot with a Linhof MT 3000. I have owned Arca Swiss, Ebony, Wisner, Calumet and Crown Graphic cameras and choose the Linhof for its build quality and precision. I enjoyed the Ebony cameras a lot, but in the end, they were too light for using an accessory like a 6x17 back IMO. I saved and waited for my Linhof (purchased used), because I wanted the build quality. The only other view camera I may add in the future is a Sinar for its independent shutter system. I do take my Linhof out of the studio occasionally, and I shoot not far from my vehicle or from my ebike that has a rear carrier basket to hold my gear. I would not let 6 lbs of camera weight deter my need for stability and precision, as I have already been down that road before. Like the OP stated, current DSLR cameras and glass can out weigh a Linhof easily. The other thing I do to minimize weight is to purposely pack a smaller bag with only two lenses and conserve on film. Most of the time, I am only after one or two shots per location. I travel via camper van for shooting locations and stow additional gear, film, etc. in the van and recharge as needed. We all have different priorities and unique needs.

The lenses I currently have for my Linhof: Nikon 90/4.5, 150/5.6, 210/5.6, Rodenstock 65/4.5, Docter 240/9.
The accessories I use: 4x5 Reflex Viewer, Universal Finder + 60x120 mask, Techno Rollex 6x12 and Shen Ho 6x17 film backs and Ebony Lens Shade Clip.
All of this gear fits inside an Ebony bag made for their 4x5 camera system when stored.

I stow my MT with the Nikon 150/5.6 on, and had to change out the lens cap for it to fit inside the opening of the bed.

Kind regards,
Darr

LFLarry
29-Nov-2019, 15:45
Hi Darr, thanks for sharing all of this and I think this is just awesome!!

It would be impossible to agree any more with you. I have gone through a lot of cameras over the years and then I was fortunate enough to get a mint condition Linhof Technikardan and it was over for me... As you said, their quality and precision is just out of this world in my opinion. Then I got a Linhof Master Technika (used in mint condition as well) and this has become my new hiking and backpacking kit and that is what I am trying to get build out right now... The rangefinder came with two cammed lenses so I am super excited about the options that will open up too.

By the way, I do have an 8x10 Sinar P that I use for my B&W images. I have the Sinar Copal Shutter and an adjustable IRIS lensboard, so I can use all my vintage glass with ease. I also have 5x7 and 4x5 reducing backs for it as well.

I am a 5'3" petite female that chooses to shoot with a Linhof MT 3000. I have owned Arca Swiss, Ebony, Wisner, Calumet and Crown Graphic cameras and choose the Linhof for its build quality and precision. I enjoyed the Ebony cameras a lot, but in the end, they were too light for using an accessory like a 6x17 back IMO. I saved and waited for my Linhof (purchased used), because I wanted the build quality. The only other view camera I may add in the future is a Sinar for its independent shutter system. I do take my Linhof out of the studio occasionally, and I shoot not far from my vehicle or from my ebike that has a rear carrier basket to hold my gear. I would not let 6 lbs of camera weight deter my need for stability and precision, as I have already been down that road before. Like the OP stated, current DSLR cameras and glass can out weigh a Linhof easily. The other thing I do to minimize weight is to purposely pack a smaller bag with only two lenses and conserve on film. Most of the time, I am only after one or two shots per location. I travel via camper van for shooting locations and stow additional gear, film, etc. in the van and recharge as needed. We all have different priorities and unique needs.

The lenses I currently have for my Linhof: Nikon 90/4.5, 150/5.6, 210/5.6, Rodenstock 65/4.5, Docter 240/9.
The accessories I use: 4x5 Reflex Viewer, Universal Finder + 60x120 mask, Techno Rollex 6x12 and Shen Ho 6x17 film backs and Ebony Lens Shade Clip.
All of this gear fits inside an Ebony bag made for their 4x5 camera system when stored.

I stow my MT with the Nikon 150/5.6 on, and had to change out the lens cap for it to fit inside the opening of the bed.

Kind regards,
Darr

darr
29-Nov-2019, 15:55
Hi Darr, thanks for sharing all of this and I think this is just awesome!!

It would be impossible to agree any more with you. I have gone through a lot of cameras over the years and then I was fortunate enough to get a mint condition Linhof Technikardan and it was over for me... As you said, their quality and precision is just out of this world in my opinion. Then I got a Linhof Master Technika (used in mint condition as well) and this has become my new hiking and backpacking kit and that is what I am trying to get build out right now... The rangefinder came with two cammed lenses so I am super excited about the options that will open up too.

By the way, I do have an 8x10 Sinar P that I use for my B&W images. I have the Sinar Copal Shutter and an adjustable IRIS lensboard, so I can use all my vintage glass with ease. I also have 5x7 and 4x5 reducing backs for it as well.

Wow Larry, your Sinar system is awesome!!
In the future I hope to have something similar. :)

gabain
19-Dec-2019, 04:17
hello,

I am using a Nikkor 360 / 500mm kit and they do work fine with the Linhof Technika.

So no worries on that part.

Regards

Klaus

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

LFLarry
19-Dec-2019, 05:50
Thanks for confirming. Much appreciated. Happy Holidays.

Neal Chaves
19-Dec-2019, 12:26
I mounted a 58mm 5.6 Grandagon in a recessed Technika lens board. This lens was in a 00 Compur, so I had to fabricate a new insert for the board and made it flat for a little deeper recession than the original 0 size insert. With the bed dropped and the track back it focused to infinity. Then I cut a 75mm cam down to couple it to the RF. This particular lens just clipped the corners on 4X5 but was very useful hand-held with the RF and of course it covered 6X9 and could have covered 6X12. Eventually I discontinued my use of Linhof equipment and returned to TRF Crown Graphics for press cameras, which RF couple easily to lenses as short as 58mm. I am setting up one now for a friend with a 65m F8 Fujinon which will fold up in the case. Because the Fujinon has an additional 7mm of flange focus and is in a 0 shutter, I think it could be set up the same way, cam-coupled and fold up in the case of a Master. One of the many 20mm finders available for 35mm cameras would provide a pretty accurate view for hand-held work.

Pieter
19-Dec-2019, 14:54
The reason I posted the Linhof weight (m/o lens, backs, etc.) is my backpack full of photo gear for walking (I hesitate to call it hiking--I rarely go for more than 5 miles) weighs in at 20 lbs. At my age and condition I start to feel it after a while.