PDA

View Full Version : Photos From Nikkor 360/500/720?

LFLarry
25-Nov-2019, 15:24
I am thinking about getting the Nikkor 360/500/720 T lens and I was hoping to see some photos from the group here and any thoughts that you have about this lens and these focal lengths based on your first hand experience?

Thanks

-Larry

LFLarry
25-Nov-2019, 15:45
Hi Drew, I was wanting some longer focal lengths for my 4x5 camera in a reasonable/smaller size. I have a Linhof Technikardan and the 360 and 500 lenses will definitely work on this camera without any need for an extender/top hat board, etc.

I am not really concerned about image quality via the web, really more about seeing what compositions people are creating with these focal lengths would be interesting to see. The typical search on Flickr and Flickriver didn't result in much, so I was thinking some people here may have something to share.

These lenses are so well corrected that any web posted image would be like trying to view a circus through a keyhole. What film format are you working with? Even the 360 will easily cover 8x10 with room to spare. The sharpness and color correction will be superior to any official view camera lens of equivalent focal length. Contrast will be excellent. But any out-of-focus rendering or bokeh will be disappointingly busy. These are hard-hard-sharp lenses intended for precise graphics applications. I own the 240,
305, 360, and 760. These are all 4-element dialytes. Nikon did offer a cheaper, non-dialyte line of process lenses too; but I've never personally run into any of those.

Drew Wiley
25-Nov-2019, 15:57
My main concern with the longer teles is the amount of leverage they'd put on the front standard. They've got a big barrel extending out, which might be just as troublesome as a tophat in that respect. I don't see a lot of Nikon LF tele work. I have seen quite a number of shots and big prints from Fuji 400 and 600 teles, which are certainly high quality and seem to be a bargain at the moment. But I apologize for initially confusing your query with barrel process lenses.

Tin Can
25-Nov-2019, 16:24
Larry

A former LFPF Mod has extensive web pages with lots of very specific recommendations with pictures.

I don't know if he has tested your specified lenses, but he has one of mine, which is not telephoto but is long with narrow angle of view. I bought mine because of his review.

http://www.kennethleegallery.com/html/aponikkor610/index.php

Search under his full name, as some things don't show up on the menu.

Eric Woodbury
25-Nov-2019, 16:28
Larry, I had the 600/800T combo. A nice lens, but very heavy. I used it on my 5x7 Deardorff only. Even with a support board underneath the front, it always made me nervous. On a bigger camera and larger lensboard, maybe it would be different.

The images made were usually big landscape style -- not my strong suit. I only hiked with it when somebody else would carry it, but I know there are lots of LFers here that are stronger than I am, probably all of you. If I were to use a long lens again, I'd look for a standard lens design, not a tele, since there is enough bellows with a D'orf (it might be close). I still use a Fuji 450mm C. That's my longest now. If I need the longer lens-effect, I crop.

If you are always cropping, then a long lens is what you need, but these heavy telephotos for field use are too often dead weight for me. When I was loading up the camera bag with lenses for a hike somewhere, trying to guess what I might need, grabbing that big lens just didn't happen for me. YMMV.

Happy snapping,
e

Drew Wiley
25-Nov-2019, 18:48
The 450C is one of my favorite lenses, as both a "long-normal" for 8x10, and distinctly long perspective with 4x5. Compact and lightweight too.

Willie
26-Nov-2019, 08:24
The lens is not all that heavy. A Friend has the 500 and looking to get the 720 element one of these days.
He uses it on a 5x7 Ikeda Anba, a very lightweight wood camera. Works well. I have tried it a few times and the photos look good.
It is nice not having the bellows racked way out when photographing.

Corran
26-Nov-2019, 08:50
A will post some later. They are all excellent, but really shine 2-stops down from wide-open, or even just 1-stop in the case of the 720mm. I was told this by the previous owner and it bears out in my usage and the online testing mentioned above. The hardest thing is simply having a camera that has enough bellows to use the longer lens elements.

EdSawyer
27-Nov-2019, 07:19
I have the set, it's great, easily the best tele(s) for 4x5, better contrast and resolution than the fuji or schneider options. Even wide open they are great, the 360 makes a super nice portrait lens wide open, with particularly good bokeh.

Tin Can
27-Nov-2019, 07:32
I think, maybe wrongly that a bought a 360 Schneider from Ed.

I like it and use it on 2X3 Linhof Color Rail for portraits.

Less contrast works for me in the long view...

I have the set, it's great, easily the best tele(s) for 4x5, better contrast and resolution than the fuji or schneider options. Even wide open they are great, the 360 makes a super nice portrait lens wide open, with particularly good bokeh.

Corran
27-Nov-2019, 07:43
360mm:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VTxW_MkE28k/T3FPeV17MLI/AAAAAAAAAtI/iFX_C_HatMQ/s700/0205ss.jpg (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VTxW_MkE28k/T3FPeV17MLI/AAAAAAAAAtI/iFX_C_HatMQ/s1600/0205ss.jpg)

500mm:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_hzpDiU2l4U/UFk45UZChFI/AAAAAAAABDs/it5nTTk5Jh0/s900/rb500.jpg (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_hzpDiU2l4U/UFk45UZChFI/AAAAAAAABDs/it5nTTk5Jh0/s1600/rb500.jpg)

720mm:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fHL2owsUkoc/U2FwBcpHcAI/AAAAAAAAFCM/eQWjM74Lqr8/s800/mountaintops.jpg (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fHL2owsUkoc/U2FwBcpHcAI/AAAAAAAAFCM/eQWjM74Lqr8/s1600/mountaintops.jpg)

Arne Croell
27-Nov-2019, 08:32
This was done with the 720mm on my Technikardan. It shows the Fründenhorn in the Bernese Oberland in Switzerland. I do not have the set, but I do have the 720 in my Technikardan kit, and the 500mm for the Technika. In my experience the 720 Nikkor-T is better than the 600mm Fuji-T.

Mark Sampson
27-Nov-2019, 21:12
Great photo, Arne. I would like to have a 500/11 Nikkor-T for my kit; I see plenty of pictures these days where it would be the F.L. of choice. Maybe I'll find one in 2020...

David Lindquist
29-Nov-2019, 14:45
This was done with the 720mm on my Technikardan. It shows the Fründenhorn in the Bernese Oberland in Switzerland. I do not have the set, but I do have the 720 in my Technikardan kit, and the 500mm for the Technika. In my experience the 720 Nikkor-T is better than the 600mm Fuji-T.

Arne, does the Technikardan have enough extension that the 720 Nikkor-T can be used with a flat lensboard? And do you use the "Tele-/Macro Bracket" (Linhof #002740) with this length of extension?

BTW, that's a beautiful photograph.

David

Arne Croell
29-Nov-2019, 18:26
Arne, does the Technikardan have enough extension that the 720 Nikkor-T can be used with a flat lensboard? And do you use the "Tele-/Macro Bracket" (Linhof #002740) with this length of extension?

BTW, that's a beautiful photograph.

David

David, yes, I have it on a flat lens board. The extension is pretty similar to the one of the Fuji-C 450mm. I do own that tele bracket, but don’t carry it around in the field, so this was done without it. There was not much wind when I took that image, so there were no problems with movement.

Arne

David Lindquist
30-Nov-2019, 10:46
David, yes, I have it on a flat lens board. The extension is pretty similar to the one of the Fuji-C 450mm. I do own that tele bracket, but don’t carry it around in the field, so this was done without it. There was not much wind when I took that image, so there were no problems with movement.

Arne

Thank you!

David

Drew Wiley
30-Nov-2019, 14:06
Is this comparing apples to oranges? The 450 and 600 C's have massive image circles even with 8x10 format. Arne is apparently referring to 4x5 usage instead, which should have been stipulated, even if this thread did begin as a 4x5 query. The problem with long views in general is atmospheric. Avoiding haze, heat waves, etc requires some strategy.

Arne Croell
30-Nov-2019, 19:11
Is this comparing apples to oranges? The 450 and 600 C's have massive image circles even with 8x10 format. Arne is apparently referring to 4x5 usage instead, which should have been stipulated, even if this thread did begin as a 4x5 query. The problem with long views in general is atmospheric. Avoiding haze, heat waves, etc requires some strategy.

Drew, A lot of 4x5 people use the 450 C, including me. I was just comparing the extension necessary, nothing else, since the extension for Fuji 450 C and the Nikkor T 720 are less than 2cm apart. The comparison in my previous post was with the Fuji 600 T, not C, as stated there.