PDA

View Full Version : Replacement parts for Older Gitzo

Michael Graves
26-Nov-2005, 10:08
Hello,

I have an old Gitzo Tele-Studex with a Rationale #4 head. I need to replace the long handle for it, and Bogen, who seems to have taken over Gitzo can't supply it. Does anyone know of a source. And by the way, if you're ever out on a lonely highway in the middle of the desert, late at night and you have a blowout and discover you don't have a jack handle, that long handle IS strong enough to act as one. But it really chews up the threads something fierce. I should have thought to wrap the end first. Also, using a 3/4" ratchet with the correct socket will get the lugs off, but (1) it won't act as a jack handle and (2) you'll bust your b... it's really hard work getting them off.

bbauer
26-Nov-2005, 18:02
I had a similar problem finding a replacement for mine, and ended up having a small machine shop make the shaft for around $20 and I added a wooden handle.

If you go this route, you'll want to check around -- I received quotes as high as $100 from shops that apprentyl didn't want to be bothered with small jobs like this, and the low quote was from someone who enjoyed something out of the ordinary.

Oren Grad
26-Nov-2005, 19:09
If all else fails, you might try sending the head and the mangled handle to SK Grimes which is, after all, a machine shop. Although they're not the cheapest around, this doesn't sound like an especially difficult job, and they might be able to fabricate a new handle at a reasonable price.

jj_4045
28-Nov-2005, 06:58
And you can forget getting any service under the Gitzo LIFETIME Warranty many of us got when we purchased the tripods. Bogen is Bogus on honoring these.