PDA

View Full Version : Before? I only THOUGHT I was confused

alfredian
19-Nov-2019, 22:15
My beginning with "Full Plate" format: bought a nice-looking Kodak Model 2 in (what I thought) was 8x10. Nope - "full plate". Needed a new bellows so I replaced it (some tribulation, but done). All I'm lacking is film holders. While waiting for bellows to arrive I've eBayed several lots of Rittreck Hope "full plate" holders. Don't quite fit the Kodak - the locking ridge is a bit too far out. A couple of the holders lost this ridge & "fit" okay - right width, entire film area is open to the lens.

My last bunch of six (I'm up to 18 total now) is too wide, by 1/8" or so, to even get into the gate. Film area is wider than the others as well. If I wasn't baffled before, I am now. At least the cam takes the same backs as my Model 2 5x7 and the home-made 4x5 adapter for it.

At least the Rittrecks are "inexpensive" -almost worth buying a Rittreck full plate, if I can find one. Then again, "which" Full plate".--alfredian

Oren Grad
19-Nov-2019, 22:31
The Rittreck Hope holders fit the WP expansion back for the Rittreck View camera, which is natively 5x7. Both camera and expansion back have been readily available from Japanese sellers on eBay for a while now, though that could change at any time. Sometimes it does require a bit of patience to get a set in good condition. The "Hope" holders and expansion back for the Rittreck are often labeled as being made by Tachihara, and it's conceivable that the holders fit a Tachihara WP camera as well, though that would be much harder to find.

I have a whole plate Eastman No 2, and I've owned a Rittreck outfit with the WP expansion back too, and the Rittreck holders indeed did not fit the Eastman. I've used vintage Eastman WP film holders as well as Eastman plate holders with film sheaths. Current Chamonix WP holders also fit my Eastman No 2.

Two23
20-Nov-2019, 08:37
You have enough working holders. Get a changing tent so you can reload in the field if needed. If you get into wet plate you might have to have a holder made for you by Ritter or someone. Chamonix makes them but check the dimensions.

Kent in SD

alfredian
20-Nov-2019, 19:25
Thanks Oren & Two23. I put out a feeler to Hugo Zhang and will probably get a few Chamonix units. I can cut down film in the meantime. The whole Rittreck thing will be an exploration, now that I've discovered at least two subsets of "full plate" in my modest collection. The most recent set of R'recks came with 2-3 pieces of display film inside, so I can get actual film sizes (from film). Like my Dad used to say "too soon old, too late smart".--alfredian

Two23
20-Nov-2019, 19:55
Blue Moon is showing four boxes of Ilford ISO 100 whole plate film in stock. I'd jump on it if you intend to shoot film as its only produced once a year.

Kent in SD

jim_jm
20-Nov-2019, 19:57
alfredian - I was just in my local used camera shop and saw they had a big stack of wooden film holders sitting up on a shelf, in a size I wasn't familiar with. Not sure of the brand, but they may have been Eastman units. The owner said they were full plate size and he wasn't too optimistic about finding a buyer anytime soon.
If you're still on the lookout, give them a call and see if they can measure and or/send you a photo of one. Might be able to get a decent deal if they're the size you need.
The shop is called Camera Exposure (http://www.cameraexposure.com/), and they're here in San Diego.

alfredian
20-Nov-2019, 22:27
Thanks, sent an email, hoping for the best!- alfredian

alfredian
20-Nov-2019, 22:29
Thanks, probably phone them given that their "contact us" clicker left me with a pulsating black dot. No swirly thingy? Seriously, definitely a hit for me.-alfredian

jim_jm
21-Nov-2019, 21:58
If you're not able to get the information you need, or want photos of these holders, I'll be going into Camera Exposure this weekend and can measure / take photos of these holders for you and check condition.
I can forward this information to you and let you haggle over the price with the shop. The guy I usually work with there is named Ken.

Jim Martin

alfredian
22-Nov-2019, 20:12
Thanks! I phoned them & the fellow said that sort of thing came through occasionally, nothing in hand right now. --alfredian

jim_jm
22-Nov-2019, 22:24
Sorry - thought they were full-plate size, or that's what he told me. Maybe he already had a buyer...