PDA

View Full Version : Question on Tachihara focusing gear

Julio Barros
25-Nov-2005, 14:09
Hi,

I'm new to LF and bought a Calumet wood field about a year ago. I just now noticed that it does not like to rack all the way out using the knob which turns the rod across the bed. The rod has two little gears that line up with the toothed bar underneath the the part of the bed where the front standard connects.

At least one of the gears seems to spin pretty freely. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be completely static or somehow partially free.

Could someone tell me if the gears are supposed to rotate or not. If not, does anyone know where to get a new working gear rod? I appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks.

Julio

Guy Boily
25-Nov-2005, 15:51
Julio, I have similar cameras and most of the time the gear is locked in position with a small set screw which you can tighten with an allen key wrench. Some may have a small dowel pin. It may have fallen out. But for sure it should not be loose. When you rack out your bed, both gears have to be working together. Hope this helps.
www.guyboily.com

Ernest Purdum
25-Nov-2005, 16:14
You might talk to Calumet if you haven't already. Their reputation is that they are pretty good about support. I haven't had much personal experience with their parts people but what I have had has been excellent.

David Starr
25-Nov-2005, 16:51
Is there a knob on both ends of the focusing shaft? I've found on my Tachihara that when I'm focusing using the right hand knob, the left one will self tighten as I rack the bellows out. I have to make sure the left hand knob is loose or this will happen every time.

Jim Rhoades
26-Nov-2005, 07:01
And if your really out of luck, some of these gears are not held in place with set screws. They are silver soldered, that's a real PITA to fix.

I think Dave gave you the answer though. My 'Dorff's lock down this way too.

Alan Davenport
26-Nov-2005, 12:24
The knob on the LEFT side of the camera is only a locking knob. Loosen it completely, and the knob on the RIGHT should be free to rack the camera all the way out.

Julio Barros
26-Nov-2005, 19:57
Thanks to everyone who answered. The willingness to share info on this board is fabulous.

Yes, the knob on the left locks down the focus and for some strange reason seems to tighten itself down.

Turns out my gears are the kind that are soldered in place. I removed the rod and heated them over a gas stove and added a touch of solder. Not super pretty but they work great now. Let see how long they continue to hold.

Thanks again.

Jim Rhoades
27-Nov-2005, 06:09
Julio; If the solder job does not hold I believe it will require a silver solder job. That means an acetylene torch with a fine tip. This is if the shaft and gear is steel. If brass, then you should be OK.