PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Time tray developing film

alethearobbins
11-Nov-2019, 20:53
Hello friends

How do folks monitor development time while in pitch black for tray developing sheet film?

Many thanks! Happy full moon

Alethea

freecitizen
11-Nov-2019, 21:27
I have an ancient device known as a tape recorder.

I made a 30 minute recording of myself as a speaking stopwatch ........ I just play that in the dark.

Works very well.

Raghu Kuvempunagar
11-Nov-2019, 21:38
Any darkroom timer app on your smartphone that beaps once every minute should be good. Just make sure you hide the phone in a thick jacket or something that cuts off the light from the phone.

LabRat
11-Nov-2019, 21:49
I use an old Gra-Lab timer with glow-in-the-dark hands... If the face of the timer does not face the tray or tank, and is higher or lower than the developing area, it is safe...

If you have a LED countdown timer, if you cover the readout with a couple of layers of red film and leave it out of way on the floor or aiming away from process, that works too...

Steve K

Two23
11-Nov-2019, 22:04
I use a glow in dark gralab timer too, pointed away from the trays. Fot 4x5 I use an SP445. Very easy and affordable. For 5x7 and 8x10 I have the new SP810 coming.:)

Kent in SD

Tin Can
11-Nov-2019, 22:11
Usually Gralab out of sight of the tray

Or if ad hoc processing without it, I silently count

Vaughn
11-Nov-2019, 23:05
Gralab pointed away. I listen for the final 'click' as it stops. Somehow occasionally the buzzer is on and I almost go through the roof.

koraks
11-Nov-2019, 23:13
I used to use a Durst colortim until I built a digital darkroom clock with a few useful features; beeps at 30 second intervals during countdown and and long beep at zero, among others.

RodinalDuchamp
12-Nov-2019, 06:07
I use an old Gra-Lab timer with glow-in-the-dark hands... If the face of the timer does not face the tray or tank, and is higher or lower than the developing area, it is safe...

If you have a LED countdown timer, if you cover the readout with a couple of layers of red film and leave it out of way on the floor or aiming away from process, that works too...

Steve K

Any standard GraLab timer works. I have never had any issues with fogging or ruining a piece of film because of the glow in the dark numbers. I have used them directly in front of my initial pre wash tray for years with no problems. For me this is the best solution because some phones will override apps when you receive a notification and increase the screen brightness which even at its lowest will damage your film.

mpirie
12-Nov-2019, 07:18
RH Process timer here......has red LED's, but they're well out of the way and bleep regularly at 30 seconds and minute intervals.

Mike

Greg
12-Nov-2019, 07:26
Gra-Lab timer and a small (back-up) battery operated Sur la table LED kitchen timer after one time placing the film in the developer tray and having a power failure which rendered the Gra-Lab useless. Ended up having to count up to 900 slowly to approximate the 15 minute developing time.

Alan9940
12-Nov-2019, 07:34
I use a Gralab timer, Zone VI Compensating Development Timer, or CompnTemp software on a laptop, based on my needs.

Tin Can
12-Nov-2019, 07:37
I need a windup kitchen timer

When I count, I count to 60 and add the minutes in my other 1/2 brain

My Apple SE can be used if laid face down on something very flat, which then shows no light

I recently bought a battery timer for the blind, pure junk

MartinP
12-Nov-2019, 08:40
For the total time I use a kitchen timer. Agitation goes on counting to thirty, or for more complicated regimes (or when I'm tired) I use a darkroom app on an old Android tablet which beeps at the appropriate times and that stays out of the way, inside an empty black bag from a paper-box.

tim48v
12-Nov-2019, 10:38
I remember processing my first roll of film (probably 620) using the "seasaw" technique with trays. As soon as the film went into the developer, I realized I couldn't read my watch! (In my defense, I was only an eighth grader at the time.)

I was doing this in the basement sink and yelled at my dad who was upstairs. Had him time it and yell back when the time was up! I was amazed when I turned the lights on and actually had a roll of negatives.

I've hated standing in the dark ever since; one of the reasons we've invented the SP-445 and now our 8x10 solution: https://shop.stearmanpress.com/blogs/news/sp-8x10-test-photos-and-video

Doremus Scudder
12-Nov-2019, 11:09
In my apartment in Vienna, I had no dedicated darkroom for almost 30 years. I tray-developed film in a darkened bathroom using a metronome and a digital kitchen timer. The kitchen timer was set for the total developing time plus five seconds (to get the film organized to start immersing in the tray). The metronome beeped once per second so I could easily time my agitation. I like to agitate once through the stack of film every 30 seconds (e.g., six sheets = one flip every 5 seconds). I counted too, just to see how close I could come to when the timer went off; nailed it almost every time.

In my darkroom here in the States, I have a Zone VI compensating timer. The red LED readout is set to low intensity and shielded so as not to shine directly onto the development tray

Best,

Doremus

Drew Wiley
12-Nov-2019, 11:24
I have several options. The most common method is the Zone VI compensating development timer, which can be set for real time too, and beeps every 30 sec in addition to red LED readout per second. For emergency use, I have one of those old Gralab clock-like timers with luminous hands. I haven't used it in decades. All such devices need to be on a shelf below the sink where the film in the tray can't "see" them. Film fogging is not a hypothetical risk, but a real one, no matter how dim the luminosity of these devices might seem to your eyes. For very fussy technical applications I also have fancier options not necessary to discuss here. If you do simple drift-by temperature control using a water jacket, an inexpensive little kitchen timer works fine.

peter schrager
12-Nov-2019, 15:20
Zone vi timer...

Maris Rusis
12-Nov-2019, 15:56
Talking Timer purchased off Ebay. Nice electronic voice. Counts down minutes and seconds with a choice of alarm sounds at the end.

John Layton
12-Nov-2019, 15:59
Gralab pointed away as others have mentioned - but I like the idea of a voice...like that female voice on my iPhone that tells me when to turn right or left when I'm driving - would be great if she could be in my darkroom to tell me exactly what I need to do...and when!

Drew Wiley
12-Nov-2019, 16:44
I'm not sure what a "nice voice" sounds like to Aussies. I'd rather have neutral bleeps. I reckon the only thing those obnoxious new Alexa devices should be programmed to understand is, "shut up".

LabRat
12-Nov-2019, 18:28
Gralab pointed away as others have mentioned - but I like the idea of a voice...like that female voice on my iPhone that tells me when to turn right or left when I'm driving - would be great if she could be in my darkroom to tell me exactly what I need to do...and when!

Like the calm, female voice that says "Station will self-destruct in 5 seconds... Good Bye..." ;-)

Steve K

PRJ
12-Nov-2019, 21:31
The display on the two digital Gralab 645 timers I have can be turned off. There is a metronome function as well. I think the Gralab 900 I have can do the same. The Kearsarge timer I have can't be shut off.

Hope that helps you.

David Schaller
12-Nov-2019, 23:39
I used an Ironman digital watch timer in my pants pocket set to beep every minute, when I developed in a dark bathroom tub.

Pere Casals
13-Nov-2019, 03:21
Hello friends

How do folks monitor development time while in pitch black for tray developing sheet film?

Many thanks! Happy full moon

Alethea

Open lights...

Use a paper safe as your tray, or place your tray inside a paper safe or another light tight box, in that way your tray is a "daylight tank". When development done... close lights, move the film to the stop bath and after 30s you may open lights, fix also lights open. While you fix/wash that sheet you may develop the next one.

This 11x14 paper safe was e sold for $18, you place tour tray inside...

Ensure that your sheet does not float in the chem...

choiliefan
13-Nov-2019, 07:55
Unicolor Jingle Bell is the one I use for all my film developing.
No electricity required... Dead simple and paraphrasing the words of Monty Python, it's a machine that goes BING!

Tin Can
13-Nov-2019, 08:48
Just bought one, NOS

Never seen or heard of it until now

I have a box of broken Time-O-Lites that were sold as functional, even on this forum...

Never complain, never explain, but learn from mistakes...

Unicolor Jingle Bell is the one I use for all my film developing.
No electricity required... Dead simple and paraphrasing the words of Monty Python, it's a machine that goes BING!

alethearobbins
13-Nov-2019, 09:44

I made a 30 minute recording of myself as a speaking stopwatch ........ I just play that in the dark.

Works very well.

I love that idea!!

pau3
13-Nov-2019, 11:35
I love that idea!!

I use the same system, although I recorded my voice in my phone. I play it through a bluetooth speaker. The recording marks the time in intervals of 15 seconds. It is very convenient, because I never know exactly when I’m going to place the film in the developer.

Best,
Pau

Eric Woodbury
13-Nov-2019, 11:45
Mozart wrote the Minute Waltz (actually translates to miniature, but hey). We need some music for darkroom timing. Maybe the Normal Waltz, the Minus Etude, and the Push Polonaise. Something catchy.

Correction:
Doremus, right you are. I should have known better. My father played it all the time. It was like the alarm clock of my nightmares. It would be different now. Thanks.

Doremus Scudder
13-Nov-2019, 12:05
Mozart wrote the Minute Waltz (actually translates to miniature, but hey). We need some music for darkroom timing. Maybe the Normal Waltz, the Minus Etude, and the Push Polonaise. Something catchy.

Chopin. Waltzes were not even a thing in Mozart's time. But, yes, using music is a great idea. There's a story about famous conductor Karl Böhm. He timed his soft-boiled eggs by mentally conduction through the overture to "Le Nozze di Figaro" (Mozart). Just the right timing for a perfect egg. But I digress...

Doremus

Leszek Vogt
13-Nov-2019, 12:34
Not sure this will do what you need, but from my understanding it beeps the last 10 sec of the sequence and it announces every minute. That sure beats having to watch anything. Also, the price seem to be approachable, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP6Qgxkd4wg

Les

Tin Can
13-Nov-2019, 13:12
I bought one of those last month. "Designed" for the blind, sold by a Blind site. $15

I consider it junk. Special batteries, not common AA and difficult for me to set up.

It's already in the junk drawer and soon to be landfill. No recycling around here...

ymmv

Not sure this will do what you need, but from my understanding it beeps the last 10 sec of the sequence and it announces every minute. That sure beats having to watch anything. Also, the price seem to be approachable, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP6Qgxkd4wg

Les

Vaughn
13-Nov-2019, 13:17

Works very well.

I am sure it does. It just happens to be one of my possible hell-scenerios. To be trapped in a small dark space listening to my own voice...forever...

Fortunately, for 8x10 and smaller I have Jobo Expert Drums (3006, 3005) and I do daylight processing...and only my 11x14 is still done in trays. And in my small space that is light-tight enough, it takes some interesting tray manuvering in the dark...partly to keep the fixer tray covered as long as possible. Most of my alt print processing requires only dim-room conditions rather than darkroom.

I did open tray development, one sheet at a time, for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10, for twenty years or so. Fortunately I do a lot of editing before exposing film, so my volume has always been low. But the time is wonderfully quiet and dark, and with constant rocking of the tray programmed into my hands, my mind was free to wander. And with surprises at regular intervals when I turn on the lights. The Jobo drums are faster, seems as even -- but the lights are on and the motor base is making its windy-grindy sort of noise. Sort of like my Svea stove backpacking...does a great job, but so nice to turn off!

Leszek Vogt
13-Nov-2019, 13:37
Randy, you can dismiss it, but the Thomas Scientific (identical) provides 2 AA batteries with the unit. I'd do like my uncle, buy two....and then play it in stereo :>) Actually, my uncle was self-learned repair dude and he would have second measuring device (even if it was expensive) to make sure at least one was properly calibrated (reference).

https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-5015-Traceable-Talking-Height/dp/B006H8M1F6/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=thomas+scientific+talking+timer&qid=1573677146&s=industrial&sr=1-2

Tin Can
13-Nov-2019, 13:42
That is a different timer

I bought mine here http://www.braillebookstore.com/Talking-Timer-Clock.1

Notice it uses Two AG13 batteries

Randy, you can dismiss it, but the Thomas Scientific (identical) provides 2 AA batteries with the unit. I'd do like my uncle, buy two....and then play it in stereo :>) Actually, my uncle was self-learned repair dude and he would have second measuring device (even if it was expensive) to make sure at least one was properly calibrated (reference).

https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-5015-Traceable-Talking-Height/dp/B006H8M1F6/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=thomas+scientific+talking+timer&qid=1573677146&s=industrial&sr=1-2

Leszek Vogt
13-Nov-2019, 14:04
Randy, just read the details/functions on the timer and the name might be different, but the guts of the timer appear to be the same.

Les

Tin Can
13-Nov-2019, 14:14
Good, but I still don't like it

I like very simple things, it's not

Good luck!

Drew Wiley
13-Nov-2019, 14:44
I thought the darkroom was the place to escape the Muzak.

Tin Can
13-Nov-2019, 15:01
At home, I have music playing continuously, silence is deafening

Not muzak, as I have a fantastic community radio station, which I support with a few $

Also in DR and love darkness, so peaceful, I always feel great after a session

However when riding my bikes wind and birdsong is sufficient

I bought new cars without radios many times

photobiker
13-Nov-2019, 15:36
I use a "Talking Stopwatch" app on my phone. You can tell it how often you want the app to tell you the time. I use it for my film agitations. I think everyone's phones go dark after 30 sec or so, depending how you set yours up.

Drew Wiley
13-Nov-2019, 15:42
A phone is another thing I go to the darkroom to avoid.

Raghu Kuvempunagar
13-Nov-2019, 20:28
This app could be of use to you:

https://www.devitapp.org/

Pere Casals
14-Nov-2019, 01:24
Also youtube has many videos with countdowns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhmnroMjjHs

Audio can be downloaded and played in the smartphone.

Cor
14-Nov-2019, 07:28
This app could be of use to you:

https://www.devitapp.org/

That is the one I use too, it's nice, put yourscreen at the lowst brightness, and point it were the light cannot harm.

Drew Wiley
14-Nov-2019, 09:09
Indeed. Be careful where you aim or place anything even slightly illuminated. Light can always harm if film in the tray is in a position to "see" it. I just don't buy, "it's never happened to me" talk. That's like saying you've never gotten rabies, so there's no need to worry if a dog is foaming at the mouth or not. I learned that the hard way after the deep shadow values in some 4x5 early TMax mountain negs that were quite strenuous to acquire in the first place got fogged by luminous timer hands clear across the room. Never again.

Tin Can
14-Nov-2019, 09:52
No phones, computers or tablets in my DR

If I fall, I will either crawl to one or die happy

Mike in NY
1-Dec-2019, 14:46
I use a DLG compensating timer (as I no longer have my old Zone VI compensating timer). It has a red LED display, but it's on a shelf where there is no line-of-site between the display and the development tanks. Yet, I still set the LED display on the dim setting, just because I like belts and suspenders.