PDA

View Full Version : Gitzo 1371 3-way head has two locking knobs?

adelorenzo
4-Nov-2019, 14:40
I've been trying out a Gitzo 1371 head recently. For some reason it has a second locking knob for the forward/backward tilt. I've circled them here in the photo, one is also a handle but both are required of them will lock down the head. As far as I can tell they both do the same job. It's kind of annoying having to deal with both of them to adjust the head.

Anyone know why they did this? I feel like I should just tighten one and ignore the other but I feel like they must have used two of them for a reason.

reddesert
4-Nov-2019, 15:30
Use the smaller knob to adjust the friction on the tilt movement of the head. Depending on the weight and balance of your camera, you should be able to adjust it so it moves smoothly without tipping under camera weight. Then use the long handle to lock/unlock and move the tilt.

adelorenzo
4-Nov-2019, 16:50
Use the smaller knob to adjust the friction on the tilt movement of the head. Depending on the weight and balance of your camera, you should be able to adjust it so it moves smoothly without tipping under camera weight. Then use the long handle to lock/unlock and move the tilt.

Ah that makes total sense now. Thanks!

Drew Wiley
12-Nov-2019, 18:29
The lesser knob is for adjusting "drag" - or friction like reddesert describes. In some tripod heads, instead of a secondary knob there's just a set screw adjustment.