PDA

View Full Version : Horseman 45FA/45HD - lenses longer than 210mm. with this extended lens board?

Ig Nacio
3-Nov-2019, 16:58
Hi,

If one reads some of the specifications for Horseman cameras
listed in the following link:

http://www.kenko-pi.co.jp/horseman/e/faq_tc.html

one will find that some lenses longer than 210mm. may not
be used with the regular lens boards because 'flange focal distance
is too long', or 'length of monorail is short', or some other
reasons.

http://www.kenko-pi.co.jp/horseman/e/lens_list.html

Are extended boards, like this one, an accesory that may help
use lenses longer than 210mm.?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Horseman-Extension-Lens-Board-Tube-80x80mm-45FA-45HD-45HF-Large-Format-Camera/273441254590

Thank you in advance, kind regards!

Tin Can
3-Nov-2019, 17:45
Don’t know but Horseman did have a 150mm x 2 adapter to 300mm

And had an extension back

I have the ridiculous extension, never used

And I never found a working x 2 adapter lens

My solution is another camera

I like my Horseman no camera does everything

B.S.Kumar
3-Nov-2019, 17:50
This extension board may be used only with Copal #0 and #1 shutters. Plasmats are usually in Copal #3 or #3S shutters, making them unusable. Lenses like the Fujinon A and Nikkor-Q and M lenses are in #1 shutters, and can be used. But you should know that when used with extensions, tilting the lens will need refocusing and recomposing.

Kumar

ic-racer
3-Nov-2019, 18:44
I use the Horseman "Teleconverter" but it has no "telephoto" function. The resulting lens needs 300mm to focus at infinity. The resulting 300mm lens is very compact, with all the extra length inside the bellows (there are some on ebay now). Horseman actually does make a true telephoto, but it is 180mm for the 6x9cm camera.

The "short" assembly of the extension back provides just enough focus length for the 300mm lens.

Oren Grad
3-Nov-2019, 18:59
Don't forget that the FA and HD are different in this respect - maximum flange-to-film distance for the HD is 249mm, while the FA can add another 23mm with the rear extension feature, which is absent from the HD.

These are great cameras, but they're not the best tool if you intend to make frequent use of lenses much longer than 210.

Tin Can
3-Nov-2019, 19:54
I didn’t see this recent post. This is why I call it ridiculous as the tail is wagging the dog

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?150428-Horseman-45FA-Horseman-45HF/page2

Ig Nacio
9-Nov-2019, 21:00
( https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?155047-Thank-you-for-your-support-and-generosity-Again-and-many-times-Thank-you-)-!!!&p=1523890#post1523890 )

Ig Nacio
9-Nov-2019, 21:36
Hi,

Thank you for your messages : ) !!!

I had felt attracted to the Fujinon 250mm., f/6.3.
Hence the use of the extended boards. I may not
tilt the lens. I would use the lens for portraiture
mainly. I remember seeing a video where tilting
was avoided.

I find the option with the 150mm. a quite good option
when using the converter. Does it become a bit harder
(in anyway) to focus when using the 2X converter with
the 150mm. lens? I think there is a two EV
compensation when using the converter. I wonder if
that is more than using the Fujinon 250mm. lens with
extended boards.

Thank you again, kind regards!

Thank

Armin Seeholzer
10-Nov-2019, 09:17
I have an original Horseman extention board and use it with my Rodenstock APO Ronar 300mm, but for portraits I prefer my Schneider Tele Arton 270mm without extention board, works wonderful on my Horseman HF and it would also on a FA!

Ig Nacio
10-Nov-2019, 12:51
Hi Armin,

Thank you for your message : ) !!!

Yes, I had thought on the Tele-Arton
270mm. as it doesn't need more than
twenty centimeters to be able to focus
to infinity. I wondered if it may be a tad
too long for me, but I think it is the
best option. There is perhaps no 240 or
250mm. option to be used with this
camera. The Tele-Arton 240mm. is not
good for this camera.

Thank you again, kind regards,

Ig

CreationBear
11-Nov-2019, 06:39
, but for portraits I prefer my Schneider Tele Arton 270mm without extention board, works wonderful on my Horseman HF and it would also on a FA!

Another fan of the Tele-Arton...it's a bit bulky, but surprisingly light for its size.:) Another added benefit is that you get a nice, bright image on the Horseman GG with which to focus--FWIW, I think of my HF/Tele-Arton combo as a "super" medium format system, it's so compact and quick to deploy.

Ig Nacio
14-Nov-2019, 18:13
Hi Jon,

Thank you for your message : ) !!!

I like what you say: "it's so compact
and quick to deploy" : ) !!!

Unfortunately, the Fujinon 250mm. NW,
f/6.3 leaves only three centimeters to be
maneuvered with the Horseman 45FA

Thank you again, kind regards!

Pechoretc
4-Feb-2020, 11:29
Hello colleagues! I successfully use Fujinon T 8/300, mounted on a standard objective board on my Horseman 45FA. This is a relatively compact and lightweight lens on which you can install 67mm filters.