PDA

View Full Version : RE: Box of paper dated 1952, what to do with it?

Greg
2-Nov-2019, 17:32
Am very open to suggestions on what to do with a recently acquired box of HALOID paper dated 1952. "Unopened" box of 100 10"x10" sheets. Original thought was to use it for making Chemigrams, but now am considering using it for Lith printing. Have to assume that with normal processing there would be a definite level of "fog" that would make it unusable for traditional printing. Fortunately it is #3 Grade. Just hate to waste a good percentage of the 100 sheets proceeding in the wrong direction.
thanks...

ic-racer
2-Nov-2019, 19:09
ebay

BertieWooster
2-Nov-2019, 20:00
I'd be interested to know what uses you put it to. Today I acquired several large boxes worth of old photo paper (comprising many, many boxes and packets from several brands), dating from the 50s to the early 90s, and am pondering what I could use it for.

Willie
2-Nov-2019, 20:25
Most won't be good for exposing and development for prints as age fogging has probably hit it.

Might try clearing it with fixer, without light exposure and use it for the base surface with Carbon Transfer prints.

Jody_S
2-Nov-2019, 21:02
Ask Ginette if she's still working on her project with expired paper?

Jim Galli
2-Nov-2019, 21:06
First thing to do is try to make a normal print. If it's a chloride paper like AZO it may be just fine. I got a box of Gaevert paper from 1964 that I was gonna toss and when I made a print, it was better than my AZO. 250 usable sheets. Bromide is trash, but chloride might be fine.

Jimi
3-Nov-2019, 01:50
I'd try lith printing, if conventional printing does not work out.

As per Mr. Galli, I've had papers (also Gevaert, as it happens) that must be from the 50-60's, that still work fine. Try it and see, you might be surprised.

Mark Sampson
3-Nov-2019, 10:01
Photo paper can last a long time. Last year I was given several boxes of long-frozen Ilford Multigrade III RC paper. I've been using it for contact proofs only, as it's not fogged. A recent article on another site states that MGIII was discontinued in 1994(!) So I got lucky.

DHodson
3-Nov-2019, 10:18
First step would be to try it. Would be interesting to hear your experiences please.

Regards
Dave

Bob Salomon
3-Nov-2019, 10:28
Make some very nice paper planes!

koraks
3-Nov-2019, 11:40
Yes, try it out, and if it fails, go the origami route suggested by Bob. Sometimes, old paper can be surprisingly good. Agfa Brovira from the 1980s (I guess) comes to mind. I use that regularly and quite like it.

Bob Salomon
3-Nov-2019, 12:03
Yes, try it out, and if it fails, go the origami route suggested by Bob. Sometimes, old paper can be surprisingly good. Agfa Brovira from the 1980s (I guess) comes to mind. I use that regularly and quite like it.

1952 paper was very old in the 80s!

If he knows that it was stored frozen all the time it might be worth the time and effort.
Otherwise, if it is still factory sealed, maybe Xerox would want it should they have a museum of their products!

scheinfluger_77
3-Nov-2019, 12:57
Oh just try it out!

Michael Jones
3-Nov-2019, 14:20
As Jim pointed out, if its Chloride paper it may be just fine (or great). The box will tell if it is for contact pricing or projection printing. If it says contact, treat it as if it is good paper until you find out otherwise. If is says projection, make airplanes look Bob said. Or you can try lith printing or fix it and re-coat for platinum printing.

But do let us know your results. Have fun.

Mike

Greg
3-Nov-2019, 14:21
Oh just try it out!

Presently renovating around the sink in the darkroom and sink is unusable to try out some of the paper... Hopefully in a week will be able to try normal printing and Lith printing. Will post results.

scheinfluger_77
3-Nov-2019, 18:06
Presently renovating around the sink in the darkroom and sink is unusable to try out some of the paper... Hopefully in a week will be able to try normal printing and Lith printing. Will post results.

Looking forward to it.

jnantz
3-Nov-2019, 18:57
paper negatives and sun prints

John Berry
5-Nov-2019, 21:00
My 1952 box made prints that had brown freckles. Like iron spots.

awty
6-Nov-2019, 04:50
I have some 1948 Dupont that still prints with normal processing, not perfect. Give it a try.

Louie Powell
6-Nov-2019, 05:04
If nothing else, seriously outdated paper makes good lightweight mounting boards.

Drew Wiley
7-Nov-2019, 16:37
Save it unopened as a conversation piece, like amidol-stained fingernails.

MartinP
9-Nov-2019, 13:22
Save it unopened as a conversation piece, like amidol-stained fingernails.

Somehow I have this mental image of a collection of black fingernails, laid out across the mantelpiece . . . ;)

blueribbontea
15-Nov-2019, 12:48
Try it putting benzotriazole in the developer and use shorter developer times. I have exhibited prints done on paper from the 1960's, especially Brovira. I once made a contact print that I later sold on Azo that expired in 1929, deckle edged. Very nice. If there is a little even fog on the white borders a sepia bleach and toning cn make a nice cream color overall.

Bill