PDA

View Full Version : Ideas For Temp. Lensboards?

LFLarry
1-Nov-2019, 20:35
Looking for ideas for making temp lensboards.

I have a variety of vintage lenses that I would like to try on a couple of my different view cameras and I don't want to make or pay for proper lensboards just yet.

Looking for materials that you have used and if you have a link to it online, that would be even better because I live in a very remote area and have to order in just about everything.

Thanks!

Two23
1-Nov-2019, 21:00
I use black foam core if lens isn't too heavy.

Kent in SD

Jim Noel
1-Nov-2019, 21:59
1/8" masonite, hobby plywood, 1/8" styrene sheet, etc

Vaughn
1-Nov-2019, 22:03
Black matboard drymounted to a piece of 8 ply matboard.

Jac@stafford.net
1-Nov-2019, 22:32

Tin Can
1-Nov-2019, 23:02
As already suggested a few sheets of hobby aka aircraft plywood is very handy

1/4” square basswood from the same source with good wood glue can add strength and or light traps for big lenses on big lensboards I use layers and 1/4” plywood when needed

I bite the bullet and buy a new hole saw if needed 6” is the biggest so far

A few boxes of tiny screws, bolts & nuts are also useful for fastening flanges

Add Matt black paint or wide markers

Cheap Hobby saws work better than you would think

I really don’t like going to a store too often

So I stock up and all that stuff

In winter I may not leave home for a month

goamules
2-Nov-2019, 05:10
The iris universal mount shown above was the best thing I ever got for experimenting with lenses. I still have 75% of my small lenses unmounted because a) the often came without a flange, and b) with the iris I can use then any time I want, on 2 cameras.

LFLarry
2-Nov-2019, 15:58
Yes, the universal mount iris looks like the real deal. Are these custom made I assume? Would love to know more about this.

The iris universal mount shown above was the best thing I ever got for experimenting with lenses. I still have 75% of my small lenses unmounted because a) the often came without a flange, and b) with the iris I can use then any time I want, on 2 cameras.

LFLarry
2-Nov-2019, 16:06
Where can one acquire one of these beauties?

Tracy Storer
2-Nov-2019, 16:57
They were made by several manufacturers in a range of sizes historically, and most folks buy them second (3rd, 4th, 10th) hand. Chamonix View Camera does offer a new one which may or may not fit the boards for your particular cameras. I first heard these called a "Universal Lens Mount" in the early 1980s, and have also heard them called "universal iris mount", "iris lens mount", and more recently, a "lens chuck" in casual conversation. Price can be $300 or more depending on size. I have bought and sold probably a dozen over the years and am not planning on parting with the ones I currently own. They are SUPER HANDY to have and use.
The FS/WTB listings here on the forum are a great place to find them since Ebays search functions aren't what they once were.

Greg
2-Nov-2019, 17:18
I use black foam core if lens isn't too heavy.
Kent in SD

Use the same with a hot glue gun to temporarily attach the lens to the board. Have yet to have a lens pop off from the board. I also attach the black foamcore to the front standard with a generous amount of "studio" duct tape. Absolutely do not use cheap duct tape... just trust me on that one

LFLarry
2-Nov-2019, 17:26
Very helpful, thank you Tracy. Much appreciated. This sounds like exactly what I need. I will go start the hunt!

They were made by several manufacturers in a range of sizes historically, and most folks buy them second (3rd, 4th, 10th) hand. Chamonix View Camera does offer a new one which may or may not fit the boards for your particular cameras. I first heard these called a "Universal Lens Mount" in the early 1980s, and have also heard them called "universal iris mount", "iris lens mount", and more recently, a "lens chuck" in casual conversation. Price can be $300 or more depending on size. I have bought and sold probably a dozen over the years and am not planning on parting with the ones I currently own. They are SUPER HANDY to have and use.
The FS/WTB listings here on the forum are a great place to find them since Ebays search functions aren't what they once were.

LFLarry
2-Nov-2019, 17:30
Hi Greg, I would not have thought about the hot glue approach. Several of my lenses don't have flanges of course, so this could be really helpful in at least testing them and getting them into service. For the tape are you using Gaffers tape or something like Gorilla duct tape? And for the glue, you are not concerned with it messing up the finish on your lenses? You have any photos of one of your lenses mounted like this?

Thanks!

Use the same with a hot glue gun to temporarily attach the lens to the board. Have yet to have a lens pop off from the board. I also attach the black foamcore to the front standard with a generous amount of "studio" duct tape. Absolutely do not use cheap duct tape... just trust me on that one

Greg
2-Nov-2019, 17:41
Hi Greg, I would not have thought about the hot glue approach. Several of my lenses don't have flanges of course, so this could be really helpful in at least testing them and getting them into service. For the tape are you using Gaffers tape or something like Gorilla duct tape? And for the glue, you are not concerned with it messing up the finish on your lenses? You have any photos of one of your lenses mounted like this?

Thanks!

Black "Photo" duct tape purchased from B&H for about $16.00? a roll and totally worth the price. Have used Gorilla duct tape in the past on our RV to temporally hold up an awning that was partially destroyed in a high wind thunder storm. When I removed it, it removed the paint off the fiberglass side of the RV. Removal of hot glue is very easy... cut through it and just peal it away from the lens. In my experience doesn't leave a trace mark on the lens. Trick seems to be to apply a good amount of the hot glue, after all it is so easy to remove. in the end.

LFLarry
2-Nov-2019, 18:27
Thank you for the details. Very helpful. I will give it a try.

Black "Photo" duct tape purchased from B&H for about $16.00? a roll and totally worth the price. Have used Gorilla duct tape in the past on our RV to temporally hold up an awning that was partially destroyed in a high wind thunder storm. When I removed it, it removed the paint off the fiberglass side of the RV. Removal of hot glue is very easy... cut through it and just peal it away from the lens. In my experience doesn't leave a trace mark on the lens. Trick seems to be to apply a good amount of the hot glue, after all it is so easy to remove. in the end.

Tin Can
2-Nov-2019, 18:57
You will of course still need at least one Iris Board!

Very helpful, thank you Tracy. Much appreciated. This sounds like exactly what I need. I will go start the hunt!

neil poulsen
3-Nov-2019, 05:07
I think that it depends on the camera. I've made some very nice lensboards for both a Deardorff and a Kodak D2 using 1/8th inch hobby board. I dark stained and lacquered them. If you pick your colors, one can get a pretty close match to either of these cameras.

LFLarry
3-Nov-2019, 05:19
I think that it depends on the camera. I've made some very nice lensboards for both a Deardorff and a Kodak D2 using 1/8th inch hobby board. I dark stained and lacquered them. If you pick your colors, one can get a pretty close match to either of these cameras.

Those are some good ideas. I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and purchased some 1/8 inch thick board that should make really good temp lens boards. I am heading to Home Depot today to get a couple hand tools and some small screws, and small nuts and bolts for the lenses that have mounting flanges, and some black paint for the back side of the boards, and so on. I found an adjustable Iris diaphragm on eBay for the lenses that don’t have flanges so that should be good too. Should be fun !! And can’t wait to start using the old glass.

John Layton
3-Nov-2019, 06:07
Tempered Masonite - and if you have a drill press, you can make safe and effective use of an adjustable circle cutter to cut lens mounting holes.

Roger Thoms
3-Nov-2019, 07:45

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/accessories/irislensboard

Roger

jp
3-Nov-2019, 09:26
The big iris is probably the most practical thing for smaller lenses.

If they are bigger lenses and you have a flange or something to permanently mount it, it's a good excuse to buy more tools for woodworking. I've got a pretty good collection of hole saws now.. I started with a hole saw kit and quickly found out the hole saws are not useful sizes, so I've added quite a few to my options. If you can provide a normal lensboard such as a 4x4 if it will be used with a graflex for example, it will make lens usable to a bigger market when it's time for it to go to it's next owner and perhaps add value.

LFLarry
3-Nov-2019, 09:51
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/accessories/irislensboard

Roger

Wow!! That is fantastic. Thanks for the link.