PDA

View Full Version : Ebony45S/45SU

Terry Hull
23-Nov-2005, 10:10
I am trading in an EBONY 23S and a Wista VX in order to buy either of the cameras mentioned in the heading. My questions is whether or not the extra $1300 cost to buy the Ebony 45SU, with its asymmetrical focus is worth the cost, or would that money be better spent in buying more expensive lens?

Gary Rowlands
23-Nov-2005, 10:53
The logical answer is to spend it on film, petrol or camp site fees. However, asymetric movements are a tremendous feature tht you can have this time around. I bought a 45SU especially for the feature and do not regret it one bit.

In real cost terms you're ony looking at the depreciation on the $1300 and I suspect that is not that great. That assumes of course you can gather the money to spend the extra, but the question is built on that premise.

You definitely won't regret having them and like me they may quickly become a core requirement.

Oren Grad
23-Nov-2005, 11:10
What lens(es) are you using now?

Eric Leppanen
23-Nov-2005, 11:13
If the added extension, removable bellows, and other incremental features of the 45SU are of little value to you, then the 45S may be a better fit. Asymmetric movements are a nice feature, but I'm not sure they are worth $1300 plus additional weight plus additional bulk.

Assuming close focusing capability is a requirement, the 45S can support up to around a 210mm conventional lens. Longer lenses must either be a telephoto design or mounted on an extended lens board, which in either case make front movements more complicated. If this is fine with you, then go with the 45S. If you will eventually feel constrained by this, then the 45S may be false economy and you may want to consider a more fully featured camera. Note that the 45SU can be custom ordered to a slightly longer extension (around 390mm IIRC versus the standard 365mm) via using a slightly longer flatbed, if you don't mind slightly increased weight and bulk.

I would say I use asymmetric movements roughly 50% of the time in the field, and on average it saves me about a minute per shot in focusing time. The 45S weighs 4.6 lbs, the 45SU weights 5.7 pounds, which is not an earth-shattering difference (you can save weight in either case by having the camera built in mahogany rather than ebony).

It really comes down to how much you value of all these various factors.

CXC
23-Nov-2005, 11:35
To me, the big difference between these 2 cameras is the bellows extension; the 45S just doesn't have very much. Asymmetry is a convenience or maybe luxury, but a long enough bellows is a necessity.

Leonard Metcalf
23-Nov-2005, 20:51
I have a 45SU and love it. It was my choice because of the maximum extension, in the non-folding design. It allows me to use a 300mm and a 400mm tele. The asemetrical movements were just a bonus. It is a lovely camera to use, and surpasses all of the other large format cameras that I have used extensively. Buy and enjoy. If I had known that they custom make a longer one I would have ordered it.

Jeff_6094
24-Nov-2005, 20:35
The asymmetrical feature is great to have as it makes quick work of setting tilts and swings. The longer bellows, as stated above, offers much greater range in lens choice, plus it has the built in bag bellows which works wonders with my 58XL. In a year's time you will long forget about the extra $$$ for the 45SU!