PDA

View Full Version : Harman direct positive

Pedro_fiz
22-Oct-2019, 06:48
A friend gave me some boxes of this paper and I will use in a 4x5 camera.
Any experience and recommendations using this paper?
How to load it? Is there a slot in one border?
Thanks for your time.

MAubrey
22-Oct-2019, 07:35
A friend gave me some boxes of this paper and I will use in a 4x5 camera.
Any experience and recommendations using this paper?
How to load it? Is there a slot in one border?
Thanks for your time.

You can load it under a red safe light. You'll be able to see and feel the emulsion side easily. There isn't a notch. It's similar to the paper you use for printing, but produces a positive image rather than a negative.

Lots of images and discussions of use here: https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?80271-Harman-Direct-Positive-Images/

Pedro_fiz
22-Oct-2019, 10:43
The size of the paper sheet is exactly 4x5 inches and it is not possible to load in the 4x5 holder. I do not know if this is normal for this paper and the size of the 4x5 film sheets is smaller...
Thanks for the link

MAubrey
22-Oct-2019, 11:40
The size of the paper sheet is exactly 4x5 inches and it is not possible to load in the 4x5 holder. I do not know if this is normal for this paper and the size of the 4x5 film sheets is smaller...
Thanks for the link
I'm at a loss as to what to tell you then. I've loaded it into 4x5 Fidelity holders numerous times without issue. I suppose if you have a cutting board, you could trim it under a safe light so that it'd fit your holder.

Pedro_fiz
22-Oct-2019, 11:55
I'm at a loss as to what to tell you then. I've loaded it into 4x5 Fidelity holders numerous times without issue. I suppose if you have a cutting board, you could trim it under a safe light so that it'd fit your holder.Yes, I will cut to the size. But really I didn’t expect this issue. I have Fidelity holders either.
Thank you

alexmuir
22-Oct-2019, 12:12
I think this was an issue with early batches of this paper, which has since been corrected by the manufacturer. Perhaps someone else can clarify. I have used the paper myself in Fidelity Elite holders without a problem.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cp_photo
22-Oct-2019, 14:00
Yes, this was a concern with earlier batches but not with current production. I have bought several boxes of it from Freestyle and B&H over the last few years and it always fit perfectly in my 4x5 holders (Fidelity).

I think this was an issue with early batches of this paper, which has since been corrected by the manufacturer. Perhaps someone else can clarify. I have used the paper myself in Fidelity Elite holders without a problem.
Alex.

alexmuir
22-Oct-2019, 14:03
That was my understanding, and the stock I bought fitted in the holders. We don’t know, however, when the material in question was purchased. It sounds like it has come from the early production.
Alex

Pedro_fiz
23-Oct-2019, 02:34
That was my understanding, and the stock I bought fitted in the holders. We don’t know, however, when the material in question was purchased. It sounds like it has come from the early production.
Alex

My boxes are from the early production and definitively this is the cause. I have tu cut the sheets to the size...
Thanks for your help

wyofilm
23-Oct-2019, 07:00
If I remember correctly you will want to rate its EI at something like 3.