PDA

View Full Version : Good Paper Trimmer

neil poulsen
22-Nov-2005, 11:24
What's a good brand and model paper trimmer with which people have experience? Mine's old and sometimes leaves indentations on the print. It needs to go.

It doesn't have to cut matt board, only double-weight photographic papers and pt/pd printed type papers. It has to be square, of course. Nothing slipshod.

I know that the high-end Rotatrim is good, but I balk at paying what they ask. I think they're overdesigned to take abuse. Mine won't be abused. Rotatrim also make a single-rail trimmer. Has anyone tried that one? I see Dahle's paper trimmers that are available. And Omega. These are well-known brands, but do they do the kind of quality that one needs for photographic purposes?

ronald moravec
22-Nov-2005, 11:37
Pay for the Rotatrim. Mine is a 30+ year old 2 rail Besslar Rotatrim that cost $200 then.

Last week I got some 4x5 film that was very slightly oversize and hard to load. I taped a stop down to size the film, and cut a thin cardoard cover. I ended up with a film shavings that looked like a pile of hair. Try that with some cheapie.

David A. Goldfarb
22-Nov-2005, 12:20
I just used an X-acto knife and a T-square until I felt I could afford a Rotatrim Mastercut II. The Rotatrim is completely worth it. I was convinced finally when I tried one at a workshop, and it was clear that the Rotatrims there had had a LOT of use, but were still sharp and square despite their battered appearance.

Tom Westbrook
22-Nov-2005, 12:58
I hear that Kuttrimmer (http://www.mbmcorp.com/fincat.php?id=3) makes the best guillotine trimmer. Expensive, but apparently worth it. I hear the guillotine trimmers treat the photograph a bit better than rotary trimmers by rounding the edges off a bit. I've not tried it myself to see if that's the case, but it seems plausible.

Jim Rhoades
22-Nov-2005, 13:12
Here's a third vote for a Rotatrim. After I got mine I found that it was also the best tool in the world for cutting hardwood veneer. In the winter when snowbound I make extra fancy lens boards with exotic hardwood veneers. A Rotatrim will shave microscopic threads off of walnut burl. Photographic paper and film? Ha. Buy the best, once.

Alec Jones
22-Nov-2005, 13:34
My 30 yo Rotatrim is still going strong. I join the others in unreserved recommendation of a product which was designed right long ago and keeps on performing.

Mark Sampson
22-Nov-2005, 13:40
The Dahle will do the job, it has a clamp to hold the paper down as you move the bar. I like the Rotatrim better, though, for its heavier base and great precision. (We have both where I work.)

Ted Harris
22-Nov-2005, 14:18
One more for the Rotatrim .. mine is also 30+ years old.

Joseph O'Neil
22-Nov-2005, 15:23
I use a German made Susis rotary trimmer. Bought it - oh, at least 10 years ago now. Good as the day I bought it new. Not cheap, but it has held up and worth the money I spent on it.

joe

Bruce Barlow
22-Nov-2005, 15:49
Rotatrim. My wife and I fought over ours so much that I bought a second one. Hers is in her work space, mine is in mine. Worth it for domestic tranquility.

It's a marvelous device.

Christopher Nisperos
22-Nov-2005, 17:34
Meopta makes an excellent line of rotary trimmers. They're not imported into the U.S., therefore they're almost a secret.

KenM
22-Nov-2005, 18:18
I also have a Rotatrim Professional; it has two rails. I have *never*, *ever* regretted spending the money I did (and it wasn't cheap) on this item. It's a well built piece of machinery that will last for as long as I need it to, and probably beyond.

I've always been of the opinion that you should not bother wasting money buying sub-standard 'things', simply because you can't afford them. Save up, and buy the absolute best you can buy.

If you settle for less, it'll cost you more in the long run.

Todd Schoenbaum
22-Nov-2005, 20:10
I have a Dhale 444 that I got new for a great price, but I would not recommend it. The pressure bar leaves a slight crease about a 1/4 of an inch in on my double weight fiber paper. Otherwise its fine.

Jack Flesher
23-Nov-2005, 00:33
A sixth endorsement for...

Rotatrim -- Rotatrim -- Rotatrim. Say that three times really fast and then forget about the others. Simply the best and certainly worth the few bucks extra amortised over several years of use.

robc
23-Nov-2005, 05:56
depends on when and where you are cutting paper.

I have a rotatrim which I use to cut 20x16 paper to 16x16. With the rotatrim I can do that in the dark which is very handy for cutting off test strips and leaving the correct size paper for printing.
Rotatrims have a self sharpening cutting wheel so providing you dont abuse it, it will last a life time. i.e. your old one needs replacing so it wasn't a good investment.

It obviously works just as well in the light but if you only need something for daylight trimming an oversized grid marked cutting mat, good cutting ruler (with grip on underside) and craft knife works just as well.

Michael Graves
23-Nov-2005, 19:27
I've got a Rototrim, too, and I love it. However, as it approaches 10 years old it now screams like a banshee when I roll it across the paper. My brother in law told me I should squirt it with WD-40 and I told him if he did that that I would run it over his fingers. What is the proper way to maintain these things?

neil poulsen
24-Nov-2005, 23:42
Thanks everyone for your replies. The Rotatrim sounds like it does the job. Neil