PDA

View Full Version : 7x17, shorter versus longer lenses, perspective

Robert McClure
20-Nov-2005, 09:53
I recently asked ULF shooters, and particularly in 717 format, which focal length lenses you preferred and for what types of subject matter.

Sandy King commented that his favorites (in 717 format) were 240 and 300 Computars, 450 Nikkor M, and 600 Fujinon-C.

Question for everyone: what do you like about the effect of getting longer and longer beyond the logical advantage of merely having increased reach? Do you particularly like the inherent optical tendencies such as less (wide angle) distortion, compression of space?

What, specifically, does "wider" get at - optically for you (that so many seem to prefer and say is a "natural" for aspect ratios like 717/820/410)? What does "longer" get at optically for you?

John_4185
20-Nov-2005, 10:27
What do you mean by "optically"? I suspect you really mean esthetically, because you can noodle out the optical metrics on paper.

Robert McClure
20-Nov-2005, 12:11
Yes, jj, thank you.

I mean to ask, considering the optical "peculiarities" of each focal length, how does each of you exploit this esthetically. Put another way, I assume that each of you is not "neutral" in terms of the resultant effects upon esthetics of changes in focal length.

For example, I love "wide." I love how the wideness seems to give greater context for presentation of the scene. I like how that wideness seems to give increased significance to the other elements within the composition.

Steve Nieslony
21-Nov-2005, 11:54
I think the peculiarities is really dependant on what you are shooting. When I first got into 7x17 I was after the big vista, and was on a search for wider and wider lenses. What I found as I shot more, is that more moderate wides (355mm), and yes even some slight long lenses (600) can still provide me with what I need. Often times a 270 was way wide enough.

If you are unsure... take an old mat board and cut a 3.5x8.5 inch opening in it. Walk around and look at the world and see what catches your eye and how you will fill the inherently wide space that a 7x17 offers. Then 'estimate' the distance betweene your eye and the mat board, double it, and you have the focal length. You may be surprised by what you find...

Steve