PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this camera?

GaiaGrim
7-Oct-2019, 19:36
Hi there. I just picked up this camera from the Goodwill site and it was listed as "unmarked". I don't have much experience in large format and I just assumed that it's a 4x5 body. I'm not sure where to start looking for info on it since there's no branding. Maybe it's home made? I would really love to use it if I can find an affordable lens. I know "affordable" and "large format" in the same sentence is probably laughable, but any advice would really be appreciated.

Vaughn
7-Oct-2019, 19:44
I have no idea of the scale, but I'd say this is not a camera, but something that looks sort of like a camera.

GaiaGrim
7-Oct-2019, 19:49
Thank you, Vaughn. I thought that might be a possibility since I didn't see a way to load film. I do a little wood working and thought I might be able to rig something up if that was the case.

Vaughn
7-Oct-2019, 20:36
I think the first thing to do is to do a bellows test (to see if they are light-tight). If they are not, then you'd probably be better trying a different camera. But I would look into turning it into a pin-hole camera!

Tape off the back of the camera so no light can pass through it -- black plastic and tape, or whatever. In a totally dark room, stick a flashlight into the camera from the front. You should see no light coming from the camera body and bellows.

Keith Fleming
7-Oct-2019, 21:18
It appears to be one of the display "cameras" that came out of India at least a decade ago. Purely decorative.

Keith

Vaughn
7-Oct-2019, 22:13
That is why I though a bellows test would be the place to start - if by any chance they are actually light-tight, there is hope for it as a pinhole camera. Some work would have to be done on the back so one could load a piece of film or photopaper in the back.

Andrew Plume
8-Oct-2019, 01:22
It appears to be one of the display "cameras" that came out of India at least a decade ago. Purely decorative.

Keith

Yes it definitely is, they show up in the UK now and again

regards

Andrew

GaiaGrim
8-Oct-2019, 08:01
Thanks so much for the info! I think a pinhole camera is the perfect solution! I've actually been wanting to make one anyway and the bones from this would make it easy.