PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the Unicolor Uniroller 352

Rscaboy
4-Oct-2019, 14:29
Hello,

I'm Dom from Belgium, I'm living in a little town called Blanmont not so far from Brussels and I felt in love with the LF photography 1 year ago and I start with a 4x5 and now ready to start the 8x10 Journey...

I got a nice and working "Unicolor Uniroller Model 352"

I would like develop 8x10 sheet with it but don't know which drum I could use with it...?

On YouTube I see Cibachrome Mark II but can't find any exemplar on ebay...So I'm wondering which one I could eventually use to develop an 8x10 sheet ?

Another question is I'm used to develop 8x10 in tray with more or less good result (I just start the 8x10 journey...) so what would be the process with an Unicolor Uniroller and a drum ?

I mean what timing on the Uniroller etc.....

Many thanks in advance for your advise,

Dom

Andrew Tymon
4-Oct-2019, 15:16
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/ This should help.

cowanw
4-Oct-2019, 15:55
Any JOBO expert drum will do such as a 3004 or 3005.

Drew Wiley
4-Oct-2019, 16:15
Probably any small drum, regardless of brand. It's just a basic rotation device. You could simply roll a drum back and forth on the bottom of a darkroom sink if you wanted to.

Whir-Click
4-Oct-2019, 19:17
Jobo 2500 Series tanks worked much better for me on the Uniroller base than the larger diameter expert drums.

Rscaboy
4-Oct-2019, 23:33
Hello,

Thanks for the answer.

But can you tell me more about the process itself ?

I mean when I develop in tray :

1. I gently agitate the tray the first minute then 10sec every minute.
2. I stop the process by putting the sheet in the "Stop Bath Tray"
3. I fix by putting the sheet in the fixer tray

How should I process with the Uniroller ?

Shall I put my sheet in the drum then start the rotation with the Uniroller for xx minutes (depending which film) ?

So let's say I'm processing 1 Ilford FP4+ in D76 1+1 based on Mass DEV Chart app it will take 18 minutes to be develop.

So does it mean that my sheet has to stay 18 minutes on the roller with continue agitation ?

That look stange for me no ? I would expect less time due to the continued agitation but how can I know the time then ?

Sorry if I was too long but I want understand the full process.

Thanks for your answers

cowanw
5-Oct-2019, 04:54
Maybe 10% less time, Or pre soak and keep the same time. you will get the hang of it quickly

Andrew Tymon
5-Oct-2019, 05:27
Hello,

Thanks for the answer.

But can you tell me more about the process itself ?

I mean when I develop in tray :

1. I gently agitate the tray the first minute then 10sec every minute.
2. I stop the process by putting the sheet in the "Stop Bath Tray"
3. I fix by putting the sheet in the fixer tray

How should I process with the Uniroller ?

Shall I put my sheet in the drum then start the rotation with the Uniroller for xx minutes (depending which film) ?

So let's say I'm processing 1 Ilford FP4+ in D76 1+1 based on Mass DEV Chart app it will take 18 minutes to be develop.

So does it mean that my sheet has to stay 18 minutes on the roller with continue agitation ?

That look stange for me no ? I would expect less time due to the continued agitation but how can I know the time then ?

Sorry if I was too long but I want understand the full process.

Thanks for your answers

Did you read this?https://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/
Read this first and then we can answer any questions. You could look for a unicolor unidrum11 which does 4 4x5 2 5x7 or 1 8x10. It's not that different from tray processing, you just do it in the light the steps are the same. I would use either the film manufacturers times for development or the developers manufacturers times and reduce by 10-15%. I use 300ml of liquid

Luis-F-S
5-Oct-2019, 09:55
I use Unicolor 11x14 drums which hold either 1 11x14 or 2 8x10 sheets each. I use 300 ml of HC-110 Dil B for about 6 min.

Rscaboy
6-Oct-2019, 00:53
Did you read this?https://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/
Read this first and then we can answer any questions. You could look for a unicolor unidrum11 which does 4 4x5 2 5x7 or 1 8x10. It's not that different from tray processing, you just do it in the light the steps are the same. I would use either the film manufacturers times for development or the developers manufacturers times and reduce by 10-15%. I use 300ml of liquid

Hello,

Thank you for this link !

brucetaylor
7-Oct-2019, 20:22
I used my Unicolor roller with the Unicolor Film Drum for roll films for years. The recommended time adjustment was to reduce development time by 15% because agitation is constant. Always worked for me.