PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Clever Idea For My 8x10 Camera & Vintage Lenses

LFLarry
1-Oct-2019, 06:35
Hi, I have been working though how to start using sheet film (i.e., FP4, T-Max 100) with my vintage lenses that don't have a shutter.

I could go down the path of getting a behind the lens Packard Shutter installed on my Kodak 2D, but I want to explore a different approach first. I will likely go down this path at a later date.

I tend to photograph landscapes, buildings, old barns, cars, streams, etc. so a slow shutter speed has been working just fine for me in my current process. I have been using RC paper negatives rated at EI 6 or 12 and Ortho 25 sheet film in very early morning light or at sunset to keep my shutter speeds around 1 second or slower.

I made handmade lens caps for my lenses to act as my shutter and it works just fine. But with wanting to use sheet film and expanding the times when I can photograph will require some method of controlling the shutter speed.

I have a Lee Filter Hood System that has 2 slots for filters. It would be really nice to be able to use my Red, Orange, Yellow filters along with an ND filter to help keep my shutter speeds in the 1s range or slower. I was thinking about designing some type of approach to mount my Lee Filter Hood system to my various barrel lenses but there is still one issue that I haven't thought of a solution for yet and I need your help.

I think I can most likely come up with a clever way of getting the Lee system on many of my barrel lenses but when gaining the ability to use my filters, I will lose my ability to use my homemade lens cap as my shutter.

Any easy/clever ideas that you can think of that may work?

The most obvious approach that occured to me was to get some type of thick art board/paper that will perfectly fit in the filter slots of the Lee Hood system and use that as my new shutter, but that will limit me to using only 1 filter because the second slot is used for the shutter. It may be the only choice, but I know there are a lot of really smart photographers here, so I wanted to get your opinions...

Thanks!!

Tin Can
1-Oct-2019, 07:15
Some, such as Horseman made behind the lens filter holders, meaning inside the camera bellows.

I bought one one but removed it and never tried it.

It would require perfect filters...

Packard shutters are very easy to install inside a camera. I have them in at least 3 cameras that did not come with them. A huge lens board helps, but tiny also works...

LFLarry
1-Oct-2019, 07:19
Hi, thanks for the info. I would like to approach the Package shutters as my next option after I get a solution to the above mentioned. In regards to Packards, how are you personally managing the limitation of the 1/25th shutter? I know there are various techniques that can be employed, but would love to know what film you are using and what shutter speeds you are able to effectively use?

Some, such as Horseman made behind the lens filter holders, meaning inside the camera bellows.

I bought one one but removed it and never tried it.

It would require perfect filters...

Packard shutters are very easy to install inside a camera. I have them in at least 3 cameras that did not come with them. A huge lens board helps, but tiny also works...

Tin Can
1-Oct-2019, 07:33
I use X-Ray at 50 asa, FP-4+ at 100 asa and HP5 up to 800 asa.

The shutter is always about 1/25th. Sometimes i need multiple pops.

I also shoot mostly with strobes in studio, so that allows more control.

ymmv

Hi, thanks for the info. I would like to approach the Package shutters as my next option after I get a solution to the above mentioned. In regards to Packards, how are you personally managing the limitation of the 1/25th shutter? I know there are various techniques that can be employed, but would love to know what film you are using and what shutter speeds you are able to effectively use?

peter schrager
1-Oct-2019, 07:55
I use a neutral density filter. .6 will get you there

Two23
1-Oct-2019, 11:22
I too use ND filter. Or, shoot Lane dry plate ISO 2. Or now shoot wet plate.

Kent in SD

John Kasaian
1-Oct-2019, 12:16
Lee makes a gel snap filter holder held on with a rubber band like bunches of asparagus and broccoli are bound with---no "hood." I think there are two sizes, one for 3x3 Lee polyester gels and one for 4x4 gels and they'll attach to the rear of your lenses if the rear of the barrel protrudes past the lens board, allowing you to rear mount the filters and front mount a Packard or use the lens cap
I hope this helps.

reddesert
1-Oct-2019, 12:21
Sliding a artboard mask into the filter holder to act as a shutter will be clumsier than the lens cap. Try using a hat as your shutter. A black fleece or felt hat works pretty well - for fleece, make sure it's tightly woven enough to be opaque. It only has to stay on the lens long enough for you to put the dark slide back in.

LFLarry
1-Oct-2019, 16:41
Hi Kent. Thanks for confirming the ND filter.

As described in my post, I am purposely trying to use sheet film because I have done all of the other stuff (RC paper negatives, hand made my own ordinary and ortho emulsion for paper negs and dry plates, ortho film, wet plate, and so on...). The goal is to get some unique 8x10 negatives so I can make big silver gelatin enlargements.

Thanks!

I too use ND filter. Or, shoot Lane dry plate ISO 2. Or now shoot wet plate.

Kent in SD

LFLarry
1-Oct-2019, 16:42
Hi John, that is very helpful. I will go over to the B&H Website and see what I can find.

Lee makes a gel snap filter holder held on with a rubber band like bunches of asparagus and broccoli are bound with---no "hood." I think there are two sizes, one for 3x3 Lee polyester gels and one for 4x4 gels and they'll attach to the rear of your lenses if the rear of the barrel protrudes past the lens board, allowing you to rear mount the filters and front mount a Packard or use the lens cap
I hope this helps.

LFLarry
1-Oct-2019, 16:45
Hi, those are all really good and simple observations/suggestions. I like them!! Thank you.

Sliding a artboard mask into the filter holder to act as a shutter will be clumsier than the lens cap. Try using a hat as your shutter. A black fleece or felt hat works pretty well - for fleece, make sure it's tightly woven enough to be opaque. It only has to stay on the lens long enough for you to put the dark slide back in.

Vaughn
1-Oct-2019, 17:57
Find darker subjects.:cool:

(I'll go back hiding under the redwoods now...)

Jac@stafford.net
3-Oct-2019, 14:06
I could go down the path of getting a behind the lens Packard Shutter installed on my Kodak 2D, but I want to explore a different approach first.

Why a different approach? Are you anticipating specific problems with a Packard?

Rather than doing the fun research for you, let me suggest you look into shutters using such keywords as rolling blind, guillotine, double barn (or swinging) doors.

drew.saunders
3-Oct-2019, 14:55
I hope this helps.

I have two of the Gelsnap holders, one came with an ND kit of 3 filters: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/162552-REG/LEE_Filters_GSND_Solid_Neutral_Density_Polyester.html (Amazon has it in stock too, $70)
And another came with a kit of some B&W filters (red, yellow, one other, can't remember)

Here's Lee's page on the holder, where they specifically mention mounting it behind the lens for LF: http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera-directory/camera-dir-list/category/gelsnap-filter-holder

I have a wide angle hood with 2 slots that I usually use, and I have a Lee adaptor on most every LF lens I use, but I kept the Gelsnap holders, as they are handy.

Drew Bedo
5-Oct-2019, 07:58
SomerRandom thoughtsnot deeply examined yet:

Various in-front of the lens shutters; Thornton-Pickard comes to mind. I see them on e-bay from time to time. Another option might be a front mounted leaf shutter from an oscilloscope lens; also on e-bay at low-ish prices at times.

Neutral density filter(s) to slow down the exposure and a "top-hat" to open and close the exposure.

Inserting a stop if possible for the same result as above.

Randy
5-Oct-2019, 09:01
I have used a large Packard shutter mounted behind the front standard of my 8X10 camera for may years. I just learn to live with the slow speeds by using slow films and papers. Personally, I rarely use any filters.

LFLarry
7-Oct-2019, 16:21
Very helpful Drew. Thank you!

I have two of the Gelsnap holders, one came with an ND kit of 3 filters: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/162552-REG/LEE_Filters_GSND_Solid_Neutral_Density_Polyester.html (Amazon has it in stock too, $70)
And another came with a kit of some B&W filters (red, yellow, one other, can't remember)

Here's Lee's page on the holder, where they specifically mention mounting it behind the lens for LF: http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera-directory/camera-dir-list/category/gelsnap-filter-holder

I have a wide angle hood with 2 slots that I usually use, and I have a Lee adaptor on most every LF lens I use, but I kept the Gelsnap holders, as they are handy.

LFLarry
7-Oct-2019, 17:04
Thanks Drew!

SomerRandom thoughtsnot deeply examined yet:

Various in-front of the lens shutters; Thornton-Pickard comes to mind. I see them on e-bay from time to time. Another option might be a front mounted leaf shutter from an oscilloscope lens; also on e-bay at low-ish prices at times.

Neutral density filter(s) to slow down the exposure and a "top-hat" to open and close the exposure.

Inserting a stop if possible for the same result as above.

LFLarry
7-Oct-2019, 17:06
Hi Randy, that is what I have been doing for years, but like I mentioned in the original message, I want to make some silver gelatin enlargements and using regular sheet film makes that a lot easier. I've received some really good ideas from the group here and I have some things on order...

I have used a large Packard shutter mounted behind the front standard of my 8X10 camera for may years. I just learn to live with the slow speeds by using slow films and papers. Personally, I rarely use any filters.