PDA

View Full Version : Durst L1200 Laborator Femomasks needed

Ron Spencer
17-Nov-2005, 18:12
Hi Everyone,

I am searching for some Durst Femomasks for my newly acquired enlarger.

They have to be the newer Femomask AM versions. I need the following:

Femomask 45 AM

Femomask 66 AM

Femomask 67 AM

Thank you very much in advance for your help. This people in this great

forum helped my find my dream enlarger - an L1200 Multigraph. I am

just finishing building the last stages of my darkroom and all I need to

get started is the inserts listed above.

Ron Spencer

matthew blais
17-Nov-2005, 18:34
Well it's taken me near a year to acquire the masks for my L1200...(I didn't want to pay retail of course)

I got two "halfs" (6x7, 6x4.5) and one whole (6x6) from a guy on APUG.ORG for $80.00

I found a new 4x5 mask set on EBAY for $25.00

And bought a whole box of mostly useless neg carriers for $30 but saw just a piece of a femomask in the photo. It turned out to be a half only but matched one of the above halves.

My point...there's not a lot out there seemingly.

B&H carries most but at $165 a pop...I think not.
Jobo of course had them for $180 but they're essentially gone.

Stonemills.com
or perhaps jensen-optical.com will now carry stuff for 4x5 enlargers now that Jobo is gone.

Keep looking and maybe put a query on www.apug.org. and the other photo forums.

And of course try the Durst italy website.

best of luck...

robc
17-Nov-2005, 19:18
try here. its in the UK but you can usually get most durst spares from here new or second hand.

www.northernphoto.co.uk (http://www.northernphoto.co.uk)

ask to speak to Terry.

Steve Clark
17-Nov-2005, 20:13
If you don`t have them already, try and find glass for your carrier, one plain and one anti-newton. Works much better for keeping your negs flat.

Michael S. Briggs
17-Nov-2005, 23:07
For 4x5 and smaller enlargers, Durst is selling direct from Italy to the USA and Canada: http://www.durst.it/shop/. So you can buy new. The prices are about the same as when you could buy through a retailer in the US, and the prices include shipping. Maybe Durst likes this method, or maybe they are looking for a distributer....

I think the part names are Femomask size-value N, not "AM", despite going in the AM carrier. Supposedly the non-N and N masks aren't supposed to interchange in the plain and AM carriers, but my very limited experience is that they do.

They do appear on ebay.

The Durst prices are so high (currently $167.50) that it might be possible to get custom machining done for less. This would be easiest if you had one mask to show the machinist. Or, if you found a mask cheaply with a small hole, you could have a machinist increase the hole size. But one fancy feature of the Durst product is spring loaded pins so that you can combine a metal mask with a glass plate, e.g., mask on bottom, glass on top, and this would get removed.

As Steve says, the other solution is to use the glass inserts. A US source for replacements is Fodal Point, http://www.fpointinc.com/.