PDA

View Full Version : Current sources for having a lens flange made?

Mark Sawyer
23-Sep-2019, 13:09
I recently bought a rather large brass lens needing a flange, (a No. 1 Morrison Leukoscope). Big and heavy enough, and historically important enough that I figured I'd splurge on having a proper flange made by a proper machinist. I have a request for a quote into SK Grimes. Any other sources in the US I should consider? Thanks muchly!

Two23
23-Sep-2019, 14:10
Grimes is the place I've gone most often.

Bob Salomon
23-Sep-2019, 14:34
Pro camera Charlottesville. Tempe Camera. Precision Camera Auston.

Mark Sawyer
23-Sep-2019, 17:37
Thank you, Bob!

Jac@stafford.net
23-Sep-2019, 18:15
When Steve Grimes was alive he made me a period correct flange for a large brass lens. It tapered up properly along the lines of the lens. Of course that was decades ago. Perhaps someone can speak to the talent of his apprentices.

Dan Fromm
24-Sep-2019, 06:31
https://www.customphototools.com/large-format/lens-mount-adapters-and-flanges

Mark Sampson
24-Sep-2019, 16:31
Perhaps www.lensN2shutter.com ?

Mark Sawyer
25-Sep-2019, 01:11
For anyone keeping track, Grimes has responded wit a quote of $150 for an aluminum flange, $285 for brass.

Tempe won't quote a price without seeing the lens, even though I offered all dimensions.

Precision Camera, Austin, doesn't offer flanges.

Pro Camera, Charlottesville, hasn't gotten back to me.

Customphototools.com sounds like a bargain, but I don't know that I'd trust the overseas mail to Portugal with a historic lens.

Looking into Lensn2shutter, thanks Mark! I'd forgotten about them...

Steven Tribe
25-Sep-2019, 02:46
Customphototools.com sounds like a bargain, but I don't know that I'd trust the overseas mail to Portugal with a historic lens......

But this looks like a promising and professional contact for those of us who live in the EU.
Package post within the EU functions extremely well (Note the use of "well" rather than "good"!). Getting lenses across trading barriers without taxes for service etc. is not worth the bother!
Question is - are they restricted to modern standardised M threads?

goamules
4-Oct-2019, 12:43
There is a machinist in Oregon that Milan used to recommend that makes good flanges. Can't recall his name right now. Also, any local machinist worth his salt can match a thread from a ring of brass or aluminum. I asked one in Tucson once and he said "no problem, and the labor isn't that much, you just gotta pay for the metal blank, which can be expensive." I looked at a few sources of blocks of brass, and had to agree.

Bob Salomon
4-Oct-2019, 12:53
For anyone keeping track, Grimes has responded wit a quote of $150 for an aluminum flange, $285 for brass.

Tempe won't quote a price without seeing the lens, even though I offered all dimensions.

Precision Camera, Austin, doesn't offer flanges.

Pro Camera, Charlottesville, hasn't gotten back to me.

Customphototools.com sounds like a bargain, but I don't know that I'd trust the overseas mail to Portugal with a historic lens.

Looking into Lensn2shutter, thanks Mark! I'd forgotten about them...

Precision Camera in IL.