PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner - new version?

Hugo Zhang
19-Sep-2019, 19:48
I need some selenium and there are two items of Kodak Professional Rapid Selenium Toner at B&H. One is marked as 2019 version and is about 35% cheaper. Any ideas?

Fred L
20-Sep-2019, 06:57
Interesting. The new one is cheaper, AND, it appears to be made in North America since it qualifies for NAFTA. Might explain the price difference ? At that price I'd buy a bottle and compare it to the previous bottles. Can never have enough Se, even though I'm still slooowly chugging through my bottles ;)

Michael Graves
20-Sep-2019, 09:00
I... I'm still slooowly chugging through my bottles ;)...

You really shouldn't chug selenium toner. Sip it slowly and enjoy the bouquet.

Fred L
20-Sep-2019, 12:44
You really shouldn't chug selenium toner. Sip it slowly and enjoy the bouquet.

:D

NER
20-Sep-2019, 20:36
I need some selenium and there are two items of Kodak Professional Rapid Selenium Toner at B&H. One is marked as 2019 version and is about 35% cheaper. Any ideas?

Based on the following product change bulletin published July 2019: https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/sites/uat/files/wysiwyg/pro/chemistry/Kodak_BW_Chemical_CATALOG_ITEM_NUMBER_UPDATE_2019.pdf, it appears that the lower priced item you found at B&H (i.e., catalog item 105 8356) replaces the same product in a different (rectangular-shaped) bottle assigned catalog number 516 0445. My guess is that the latter may have replaced the round packaging assigned catalog number 146 4486 which you also found at B&H, albeit at a higher price, or that the different numbers reflect different manufacturing sites. I can't say why the price varies so much for the same quantity of material, but based on the MSDS specs filed by catalog number for the two packages you found at B&H, and my observation that the contents of two differently packaged lots of the same material used in my darkroom perform in exactly the same way, I believe it is likely that the toner sold in all three of the different packages mentioned here is identically formulated. To be sure, you might give Kodak Alaris a call, 1-888-242-2424.

N. Riley
http://normanrileyphotography.com

Hugo Zhang
20-Sep-2019, 21:17
Riley,

Thank a lot!

Hugo