PDA

View Full Version : New Ektachrome 35mm

goamules
19-Sep-2019, 12:19
Anyone shooting it? I got a couple rolls, and just got one developed.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48759493058_0446eedb27_b.jpg

Drew Wiley
19-Sep-2019, 12:51
It sounds just like a redux of E100G, which was the best Ektachrome ever in terms of versatility, in my opinion. I won't bother testing it until it comes out in 120, but maybe not even then. I've still got a pile of old 8x10 Ektachromes and Fujichromes to remaster as contact internegs for sake of RA4 printing. That's a fussy process, but so far has been well worth it in terms of outstanding print quality.

BrianShaw
19-Sep-2019, 13:56
Very nice. But I’m not partaking at this time.

goamules
19-Sep-2019, 14:45
You bunch of weenies. I order you to go order an order.

BrianShaw
19-Sep-2019, 15:05
Aye aye... talley ho

Drew Wiley
19-Sep-2019, 15:44
Do mules look good on Ektachrome? Do you put red kerchiefs on them?

goamules
19-Sep-2019, 16:02
Hey, great idea! All seriousness aside: I wasn't really that impressed, compared to Velvia.

goamules
19-Sep-2019, 16:04
My other mule looks pretty good with it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48754738096_caba11b8f3_c.jpg

BrianShaw
19-Sep-2019, 20:34
Can you still get gas for that motorcycle?

goamules
20-Sep-2019, 07:01
Ha! Yeah, but the leaded is hard to get. I use a pencil sharpener and dump some shavings into the tank every fill.

sperdynamite
20-Sep-2019, 07:03
E100 is one hell of a film. This stuff in 8x10 is going to absolutely slay. Shut up and take my money, Kodak.

Pentax LX - 43/1.9 - E100

Alan Klein
20-Sep-2019, 08:16
I still like Velvia 50 in 120. But willing to try it if it comes out.

Drew Wiley
20-Sep-2019, 10:55
Velvia might look good on a light box, but it's not a particularly versatile film in terms of printing characteristics. When it comes to sheet film, E100G was made on dimensionally stable estar base, while most Velvia and Provia was still on floppy, shrinking triacetate. Acetate can be hell if precise registration is needed for sake of optical printing or duplicating. Otherwise, some kinds of mules are flashy and classic, it seems, while others are friendly, cuddly, and smell like a mule. 8x10 Ektachrome has the smell of leather, as my wallet is emptied out.

BrianShaw
20-Sep-2019, 11:58
Isn’t printing from a slide a has-been consideration? I stopped that back in the 1990’s because I was not happy with the results.

I’ll only shoot transparency film to project or look at on a light table.

Drew Wiley
20-Sep-2019, 14:53
Has been? I was doing it all summer. I'm getting superb results from Portra contact internegs. It involves masking the original chrome and has a steep learning curve, but once you're on target you've got something that will print on ra4 paper like a duck goes to water. But I only have time to prioritize 8x10 chrome originals for now, not anything smaller.

goamules
23-Sep-2019, 19:41
I got the slides back from the lab, and decided to rescan a few. Whew, much better than what they'd done:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48785798952_718028d30f_b.jpg

MultiFormat Shooter
28-Jan-2020, 13:33
I finally got a test roll scanned and I'm liking it. The colors seem to be pretty accurate, as this image represents "what my eyes saw." This image is from the end of November, 2019, on the new Ektachrome 100, of course. I have other images, of my dog, on the same roll and they seem to be pretty accurate as far as color rendition, too.

Delta has replaced Airbus A319s with Boeing 717s on the Minneapolis and Detroit to/from Baltimore routes, and I caught N977AT (https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N977AT), on arrival.

r_a_feldman
31-Jan-2020, 20:48
Two images from my first roll of the new Ektachrome, taken last summer and fall. Camera is an Olympus Pen FT (half frame) with the Zuiko 25mm f4 lens. These were attempts (not altogether successful) to create in-camera pairs that can be mounted as a single slide. I find the overall color a bit blue, but some of that might be from lens flare or from not having my ancient Nikon LS-20 slide scanner properly calibrated.
Bob

Pritzker Bandshell, Millennium Park, Chicago

South garden, Art Institute of Chicago

Sal Santamaura
1-Feb-2020, 08:37
...Delta has replaced Airbus A319s with Boeing 717s on the Minneapolis and Detroit to/from Baltimore routes, and I caught N977AT on arrival...

Thanks for that memory. The MD-95 was my last commercial flight simulator involvement at McDonnell Douglas before we became Boeing, the new owners changed its name to 717, and I transferred to a different project. I always thought that aircraft would have been a great seller and performer for customers, but, in my opinion, marketing in Seattle failed to sell the product since it competed with "their" 737, essentially killing it off. Sad.

BradS
1-Feb-2020, 12:38
Thanks for that memory. The MD-95 was my last commercial flight simulator involvement at McDonnell Douglas before we became Boeing, the new owners changed its name to 717, and I transferred to a different project. I always thought that aircraft would have been a great seller and performer for customers, but, in my opinion, marketing in Seattle failed to sell the product since it competed with "their" 737, essentially killing it off. Sad.

Hey! I worked on the (engineering development) flight simulator for MD-95 too. I wonder....did we work in the same building, for the same people?

Sal Santamaura
1-Feb-2020, 13:58
Hey! I worked on the (engineering development) flight simulator for MD-95 too. I wonder....did we work in the same building, for the same people?No, Brad, I was in the training simulator department, and barely got a toe into MD-95 before my transfer.

Those (seven) years in commercial flight training device engineering were the most enjoyable of a 36-year career. Still not as nice as retirement, however. :)

tuco
1-Feb-2020, 14:08
Thanks for that memory. The MD-95 was my last commercial flight simulator involvement at McDonnell Douglas before we became Boeing...

From some Boeing employees perspective on that buyout, things changed there. Lots of Douglas people ended up in management positions throughout. It was a common saying McDonnell Douglas took over Boeing with Boeing money. And arguably things were not for the better in the commercial world, anyway.

Bob Salomon
1-Feb-2020, 16:10
From some Boeing employees perspective on that buyout, things changed there. Lots of Douglas people ended up in management positions throughout. It was a common saying McDonnell Douglas took over Boeing with Boeing money. And arguably things were not for the better in the commercial world, anyway.

Happened in the photo industry as well. When I was with Rollei of America ROA in NJ bought Honeywell Photographic in Denver and then all Rollei salesmen and all upper management at ROA were replaced by Honeywell people and the ROA office in NJ was moved to Denver and no ROA employees were transferred except for the service center owner.

Sal Santamaura
1-Feb-2020, 18:55
From some Boeing employees perspective on that buyout, things changed there. Lots of Douglas people ended up in management positions throughout. It was a common saying McDonnell Douglas took over Boeing with Boeing money. And arguably things were not for the better in the commercial world, anyway.You describe the perspective of Boeing Puget Sound commercial employees, and refer to corporate executive management changes. In Long Beach, a different situation prevailed. Former Rockwell (which Boeing also "absorbed") employees came to dominate management. Commercial operations shriveled up and died completely. I told colleagues at the time of the merger that "Boeing didn't buy McDonnell Douglas to operate a competing commercial aircraft manufacturer. Wait and you'll see."

It's worth noting that the recently fired (as a result of 737 Max "issues") Muilenburg was a Puget Sound heritage Boeing manager. :)

MultiFormat Shooter
1-Feb-2020, 20:31
I always thought that aircraft would have been a great seller and performer for customers, but, in my opinion, marketing in Seattle failed to sell the product since it competed with "their" 737, essentially killing it off. Sad.

And, ironically, Delta has glomed on to every 717 they can get their hands on. They seem love it for the 100-110 seat short and mid-range markets.

goamules
2-Feb-2020, 07:16

We had the opposite view. I worked for McDonnell Douglas as a Stealth Fighter training manager. Everyone I worked around was fighter pilots, most from Vietnam. MCD made good fighters from the F-4 Phantom to the F-15. Then the big commercial company that had not made a fighter since the 1930s took them over. The guys I worked with shook their heads, that it would go from a fighter company to a "heavies" company. And it did. Now Boeing is pretty much the Microsoft of the aerospace world.

tuco
2-Feb-2020, 09:36
... Muilenburg was a Puget Sound heritage Boeing manager. :)

Those guys have been in Chicago for long time now. IMHO, the 787 program demonstrated how far removed they are from how things work. And also designing your product primarily for sheer with lots of transition to interference fit holes means slapping together an airplane like an automobile on a moving line is not the same thing.