PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of J Lane Dry Plates

Alan9940
12-Sep-2019, 08:42
Assuming cool storage conditions, anybody know the shelf life of the ASA 2 J Lane Dry Plates? Is it the same as film? Can they go into the freezer until use?

Thanks!

Nodda Duma
12-Sep-2019, 19:18
I put an expiration date of two years out from when I coat them. That two years is based on hauling plates around in the cab of my truck through summer and winter for two years straight, after which they were still good as new. I'm sure they will last much, much longer but I've only personally tested out two years in adverse storage conditions.

So yeah, treat them like film for shelf life purposes.

-Jason

Alan9940
12-Sep-2019, 21:00
Thank you, Jason.

peter k.
13-Sep-2019, 11:49
Hmmm .. so you can put them in the freezer???

Nodda Duma
13-Sep-2019, 14:37
Peter yeah but just be aware of condensation issues

Mark Sampson
13-Sep-2019, 16:08
C'mon you guys- Use 'em up and buy more!
"Fresh is best" just as with vegetables.

peter k.
13-Sep-2019, 17:05
Yep .. :cool: ya nailed it on the head..

Alan9940
13-Sep-2019, 21:03
C'mon you guys- Use 'em up and buy more!
"Fresh is best" just as with vegetables.

Yep, i will as soon as I get my new plate holder.

Steven Ruttenberg
15-Sep-2019, 00:31
As soon as my Observatory is set up I will be doing glass plate astrophotography with these. Eventually mixing my own emulsion and costing plates. Just need a way to get some speed from them. So I will be using lots of plates soon.

Tin Can
15-Sep-2019, 06:00
Great!

There is a thread about Digitizing Harvard’s Century of Sky (https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/digitizing-harvards-century-of-sky/)

However this 2003 example of advice (http://www.olasu.com.uy/arch_contenidos/Astrophotography_Do_photographic_plates_still.pdf) about saving scanned plates is sad.

A 'friend' destroyed his father's garage observatory/telescope even when I said I would come and save it.

1984 my wife bought me a very nice Meade telescope which I told her we had to return. I still miss it and her. RIP Marnie.

As soon as my Observatory is set up I will be doing glass plate astrophotography with these. Eventually mixing my own emulsion and costing plates. Just need a way to get some speed from them. So I will be using lots of plates soon.

Steven Ruttenberg
15-Sep-2019, 21:41
Sad indeed. Sorry to hear about your wife.

Well I will be on the outskirts of OKC so if your close by your always welcome to come and use the scopes and talk shop ��.

Steven Ruttenberg
15-Sep-2019, 22:01
That statement about destroying the plates is idiotoc.

Tin Can
16-Sep-2019, 02:26
My point exactly.

Thanks for the invite.

Most likely I will not be traveling far.

I am becoming localized.

Tin Can
16-Sep-2019, 11:07
I expect all Glass Dry Plates may last far longer than some expect.

My hat avatar to the left in this post was shot on 100 year old NOS 5X7 glass plate.

Steven Ruttenberg
25-Sep-2019, 11:44
My point exactly.

Thanks for the invite.

Most likely I will not be traveling far.

I am becoming localized.

You are welcome. Always welcome.

Steven Ruttenberg
25-Sep-2019, 11:45
I expect all Glass Dry Plates may last far longer than some expect.

My hat avatar to the left in this post was shot on 100 year old NOS 5X7 glass plate.

Nice!