PDA

View Full Version : Horseman lens boards for Sinar Norma

Jimi
10-Sep-2019, 08:35
I am probably making things up in my head here ...

I am using a flat Horseman board for a Compur 1 on my Norma. Would an original Norma board actually fit "better"? The one I have is not falling off or anything, but it doesn't feel like it fits great either.

Jim Noel
10-Sep-2019, 09:39

I am using a flat Horseman board for a Compur 1 on my Norma. Would an original Norma board actually fit "better"? The one I have is not falling off or anything, but it doesn't feel like it fits great either.

Definitely YES!

Louis Pacilla
11-Sep-2019, 07:48

I find that ANY Sinar lens board will fit any Sinar camera better then the Horseman lens boards.The Horseman boards seem just a bit thicker?

Bernice Loui
11-Sep-2019, 08:44
Check the condition of the compliant foam at the bottom of the grove (aka light trap) where the lens board sits. This compliant material has likely never been replaced and is hard as a rock allowing stuff attached to the standards to be floppy.

See Light trap repair at this link:
http://glennview.com/sinar.htm

Bernice

Drew Wiley
11-Sep-2019, 10:23
Horseman boards fit poorly. Use real Sinar boards of any generation; they don't have to be original Norma.

Jimi
11-Sep-2019, 13:34
I'll get another Sinar board and have a look at the light trap foam. The Symmar I just got back from service and repair deserves a better fate.

There seems to be quite a few knock-offs floating around, not all of them seems to adhere to the original specifications, but I suppose the width and depth of the groove is the most important part.

Since we are on the subject ... I guess the red dot on the back of the later original ones is to simplify putting the lens board right way around when looking at it from the rear?

Drew Wiley
11-Sep-2019, 14:09
Beware of generic boards marketed as Sinar/Horseman.

Jimi
11-Sep-2019, 15:08
The (new) knock-offs I have found cost about as much as the original (used) ones, but I am still not going to take any chances.

Daniel Unkefer
11-Sep-2019, 16:06
It's not that difficult to remove and replace 50 year old Norma foam.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
11-Sep-2019, 18:08
There are two styles of green Norma boards. The originals just had a ridge running around the edge (here is an example I found (https://www.flickriver.com/photos/132059798@N02/16684580213/)). The newer green Norma boards are pretty much identical to the later issue black Sinar boards, with the rabbeted edge. My Norma prefers the older style, but the newer one will fit with some pressure.

Bernice Loui
11-Sep-2019, 20:16
Sinar lens boards that have the cast in Sinar Logo. IMO, these are the ones to use.

Bernice

Jimi
12-Sep-2019, 01:13
There are two styles of green Norma boards. The originals just had a ridge running around the edge / ... /.

I also noticed these two variations, when rummaging around on the 'Bay. I have also seen black lens boards with the older Sinar logo (transition variation, perhaps?).

Greg
12-Sep-2019, 05:27
Many years ago, while building up my lens collection, acquired some generic "Horseman/Sinar" boards for my Sinar Normas. They were quasi-useable... definitely thicker than original Norma boards. So over probably the past 2 years just kept on looking for OEM Sinar boards that were up for auction. In the end acquired 6 Sinar Norma boards which my current set of lenses are mounted on. Also was able to acquire 3 uncut OEM boards, which will be used when and if I ever acquire more lenses. OEM Sinar boards are out there to be had, you just have to be patient and immediately pounce on buying them when you find them up for auction. Up side for me was that all the boards that were up for auction were at Buy-It-Now prices so I never had to get into any bidding wars. Beware of unbranded generic new "Sinar" boards... bought 2 of them once and ended up tossing them because of their sloppy/loose fit.

Tin Can
12-Sep-2019, 05:51
I recently bought 2 Linhof to SINAR lens boards.

Both like new OE.

The SINAR is thinner where it counts at the outer edge.

The Horseman is 0.020" thicker right there. It is too tight in my cherry SINAR front frame.

The Horseman has reinforcing ribs cast in. Looks stronger to me.

I converted some big cameras to use Horseman frames on their bigger lens boards for heavy lenses. Those can use either.

My systems work fine for me.

I don't use the machined ones somebody made...

Drew Wiley
12-Sep-2019, 09:44
True Sinar boards are die cast and very stiff and strong; there is no need for supplementary ribs. The perimeter light-tight channels also function to reinforce their rigidity.

William Whitaker
12-Sep-2019, 10:53
Some very good advice here. But I have to add that I have a mix of Sinar and Horseman boards. I've had no problems at all with with either.
I'll also add that I really miss my Norma! ;)

Drew Wiley
12-Sep-2019, 11:09
There are a few things about the Norma that don't operate quite as smooth as later Sinars, like how lensboards lock in; but still, it's my overall favorite series of Sinar.

Jimi
16-Sep-2019, 13:40
The cheapest one I could find was a newer style board, and from some trying testing in the morning, it seems to be a better fit. Good to go, I think for the time being. But I will keep an eye out for an original Norma board.