PDA

View Full Version : 203mm f7.7 lenses and shutters?

SParis
8-Sep-2019, 16:11
To make a long story short, I have a near-perfect Ektar 203mm f7.7 lens in a dead Flash Supermatic shutter, and an Anastigmat 203mm in a recently CLA'd No. 2 Supermatic.

The lenses physically interchange between the two shutters with no problem.

Question is, is there any chance that the two shutters differ in thickness? (I have no way to measure them accurately.)

I'd like to put the Ektar in the good shutter.

Of course the final answer is to try it, which I'll do. I'd just like to check that there isn't some Supermatic gotcha that everybody knows about but me.

Bob Salomon
8-Sep-2019, 16:31
Since you have both shutters why not take the lenses out of them, put the shutters next to each other and put a good level across them. If the bubble is centered on the level then they are the same height.

This technique also works for hanging picture frames on two hangers, nails or screws.

Mark Sampson
8-Sep-2019, 16:52
Mr. Salomon's advice is quite sensible. Generally, post- WWII Kodak "Anastigmats" were uncoated versions of their coated "Ektar" lenses. I'd be very surprised if your two lenses didn't interchange.

pepeguitarra
8-Sep-2019, 20:09
I have the both. Yes, they are interchangeable.

Doremus Scudder
9-Sep-2019, 08:54
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Ektars were individually matched to their shutters, i.e., the spacing was adjusted to match the particular lens. So, do make sure the shutters are exactly the same length (good calipers are likely necessary) and be sure to transfer and shims that might be with the cells you are moving from one shutter to another.

If your "dead" Supramatic can be resurrected, I'd recommend Carol Flutot and her crew. They've done exemplary work on my Supramatics in the past. http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

Best,

Doremus

Tin Can
9-Sep-2019, 09:12
Read this and the rest of the site. http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/ContactUs.htm

I put my 203 complete with bad OE shutter in front of a small Packard

Fixing shutters is becoming a lost art.

Mark Sampson
9-Sep-2019, 09:42
....and if the OP doesn't send his 'dead' Supermatic somewhere for repair, the art is just that much closer to being lost. And the shutter still won't work.
(Full disclosure: I had the 1948 Flash Supermatic shutter from my 135/6.3 Wide Field Ektar serviced in 1989. Judging by my exposures from last week, It's still working fine.)
Let's take care of our gear- it results in better photos and more enjoyment from our hobby/craft/profession/art/not art.

Bob Salomon
9-Sep-2019, 09:47
....and if the OP doesn't send his 'dead' Supermatic somewhere for repair, the art is just that much closer to being lost. And the shutter still won't work.
(Full disclosure: I had the 1948 Flash Supermatic shutter from my 135/6.3 Wide Field Ektar serviced in 1989. Judging by my exposures from last week, It's still working fine.)
Let's take care of our gear- it results in better photos and more enjoyment from our hobby/craft/profession/art/not art.

If it was last serviced 30 years ago it will last much longer with an overdue CLA! Why not take it to Tempe Camera for a tune up?

Mark Sampson
9-Sep-2019, 10:15
Good idea, Bob. I should walk it like I talk it... and I'll be in Phoenix later this month.
And another full disclosure: I should never have sold my 203/7.7 Ektar.

David Lindquist
9-Sep-2019, 11:55
Again I can recommend Henry Paine in Stockton CA: https://www.henrypaine.com (Though we don't know where the OP lives, maybe not even in North America). Henry has told me he basically works on all shutters. In any case he answers his emails quickly so it would be easy to confirm that he'll do a Supermatic.

All of which reminds me I should send him my 203/7.7. Ektar in a rim-set Compur, speeds are OK but the press focus feature is sticky.

David

SParis
9-Sep-2019, 18:29
Wow. More responses than I expected. Thanks to all of you!

Mr Salomon: Eminently sensible suggestion. I tried it, and indeed the level is level. Which is pretty much what I expected.

Mr Sampson: Yep, the Ektar is a coated Anastigmat. I've been using the Anastigmat for black and white and it's really just fine. Just can't aim it at the sun.

pepeguitarra: Yes, I believe they are interchangeable, since the design of the lens elements was apparently not changed. Just wanted to see if anyone knew of any specific reason to doubt that.

Mr Scudder and Tin Can: That's kind of what I was afraid of; and if it's true, the variations would likely be too small to be revealed by measuring with a level. I suspect it's not the case with the very mass produced 203mm, though. Maybe with some of the higher-end Commercial Ektars.
I am a long time fan of Ms Flutot, and I'm on her waiting list, but she has serious family problems and says her shutter work is going very slowly. I wish her the best.

Regarding repair of the dead shutter: That's part of the "long story" I referred to. Way too involved to go into here, and not very interesting.

Mr Lindquist: Thanks for the Henry Paine link. I'm always on the lookout for shutter repair technicians; they're a rare breed and getting rarer. I was disappointed to learn that S.K.Grimes, for instance, is no longer doing shutter repairs.
Oh, and I'm in Michigan, which is still part of North America. ;-)

In any case, thanks again to everyone. I think that more than answers my question.