PDA

View Full Version : Pouring without spilling?

gnd2
6-Sep-2019, 14:27
Probably a stupid question, I did some searching but didn't find anything related.

I bought some of those glass bottles in various sizes plus some marbles to keep them topped off. But whenever I pour, the liquid dribbles down the side (quite a bit) before it starts going into the other container. Is there a trick to prevent this? Only thing I can think of is to put my finger over the opening and turn it way over before slowly letting it out.

jp
6-Sep-2019, 14:31
If the other container is empty, tip it nearly level and rotate the two containers vertically slowly so it pours smoothly. Sorta like you have to do with gas cans.

MartinP
6-Sep-2019, 14:49
On occasions with a wide bodied bottle and a small opening, pouring in to a measuring cylinder for example, I pour the large bottle in to a wide funnel. The funnel is easily manipulated to catch and direct the liquid where it needs to go. There is also a balance between pouring too slowly and having a tsunami across the bench of course, but it is do-able. If in doubt, try out the options with plain water first!

domaz
6-Sep-2019, 15:08
If you don't need much volume out of the bottles, syringes can be a good way to go as well.

popdoc
6-Sep-2019, 15:57
Try using a glass stirring rod held firmly across the mouth of the pouring vessel/bottle if a syringe is too small or unavailable. Eliminates all but the tiniest drips. Takes a few tries to get the hang of it. Works like a charm....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Collins
6-Sep-2019, 17:58
Funnel?????

LabRat
6-Sep-2019, 19:44
Another possibly with smaller mouth glass bottles is those spouts you see on liquor bottles in bars, that only allow a stream to flow out of them...

Steve K

esearing
7-Sep-2019, 05:19
Another possibly with smaller mouth glass bottles is those spouts you see on liquor bottles in bars, that only allow a stream to flow out of them...

Steve K

Or olive oil spouts work too. Can find both at kitchen outlet stores fairly cheap cause you will need several - do not use for different chemicals. After a few hundred pours you get used to the tilt and timing without the spouts.

gnd2
8-Sep-2019, 22:09
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, doing like jp suggested, with or without a funnel, and holding the bottle right up to the edge.

I remember the glass stirring rod trick from chemistry class. I only have a plastic paddle stirrer but I have a glass thermometer which I tried without success :confused:

The pour spout thing is an interesting idea, I'll have a look for some of those.

Steven Ruttenberg
11-Sep-2019, 08:29
Put required amount into beakers for the session. You can pour those all day long without hassle.