PDA

View Full Version : What camera is this?

caspalta
6-Sep-2019, 11:44
I got this camera (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-8-x-10-Antique-Wooden-Brass-PLATE-CAMERA-w-Bellows-Two-Plate-Holders/113716621030?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649) on ebay, it was advertised as 8x10 but plates I ordered don't fit and the inside dimensions are actually 7 1/8 by 9 1/2. anyone got any info? or preferable a place to get plates the correct size?

also, how would I go about adding a shutter. kind of new to this all.

thanks.

Bob Salomon
6-Sep-2019, 12:00
Have you notified eBay and the seller that, while described as an 810, it is not an 810? Especially as the seller appears to be away till late this month!

michael_los_angeles_photo
6-Sep-2019, 12:40
It is a European camera, so it is almost certainly their version of 8x10”, which is 18x24cm. You can also see the aspect ratio of the opening looks a bit narrower than the slightly more square 8x10” dimensions. I find images of that size to have a pleasing look. Depending on what you mean by plates — glass, aluminum? — you can either order or cut your own to size. Those are dry plate holders, so you may be intending to shoot the J Lane dry plates? If you want to use them for wet plate you will probably have to modify them. And if you are shooting plates (again, depending), you might not need a shutter. But it may all be a bit of a hassle, and since the sales price was not cheap, you may just want to return it...? You could find an actual 8x10 with a lens with a shutter (eventually, or just purchase one separately) for less pretty easily. No plate holders, to be fair, and those can run a bit at that size, but again, I guess it depends on what you are tying to do.

Dan Fromm
6-Sep-2019, 12:42
Hmm. To add insult to injury, the lens on it is a 210/4.5 Xenar that doesn't cover 8x10. It is probably a whole plate camera (6 1/2 x 8 1/2). Measure the plate holders to find the size of the plate that will fit them.

Shutter? The 210/4.5 Xenar goes in a Compur #3 Tube 7 shutter. Good luck finding one.

The camera is not as represented and the seller's weasel words "We have no expertise on photography or photography equipment." are no excuse. Complain to eBay and to PayPal or your credit card issuer.

This site has resources. Go to https://www.largeformatphotography.info and read the FAQs. There are books on LF. Buy one of the ones recommended here https://1drv.ms/b/s!AggQfcczvHGNkGG_P2z8Qiyc8Qo- and study it. Before you try to throw more money away, ask questions here about which equipment will suit you and your goals.

You made a mistake. Welcome to the club. You seem to have been rash and impetuous. Welcome to the club. Thanks to a variety of consumer protections you'll probably escape without losing money. Welcome to the club.

Good luck, have fun.

MusicalPhotog
6-Sep-2019, 13:06

The camera is not as represented and the seller's weasel words "We have no expertise on photography or photography equipment." are no excuse. Complain to eBay and to PayPal or your credit card issuer.

I second this! In this age of 'googling' everything, don't let them get one over on you by feigning ignorance. That's a cop-out statement and should not be treated as a valid response to anything.

Also once you get this settled, be sure to give them appropriate feedback so other buyers can be aware.

Good luck.

Steven Tribe
7-Sep-2019, 01:02
This is a very typical French (Walnut?) 18x24cm travel camera. It is the "turn the bellows" type which reduces the width of the camera. Because of the necessary rigidity, the bellows are often sturdier and in better condition than other types. The book type plate holders look to be in good condition. But after 100 years these can be a little in need of servicing.

18x24" film (normal and x-ray) is still a standard item available through internet sites. Best in Berlin at quite normal prices - FOMA, for instance.

This site doesn't allow evaluation, but I hope I misread the Ebay listing!

Tin Can
7-Sep-2019, 08:08
A very nice camera!

Chauncey Walden
7-Sep-2019, 11:39
As Steven said "This site doesn't allow evaluation, but I hope I misread the Ebay listing!". I looked but I couldn't find the pictures of the other 1 or 2 cameras that must have come with it.

Louis Pacilla
7-Sep-2019, 11:45
A very nice camera!
Very nice example but not at $1200 USD

As Steven said "This site doesn't allow evaluation, but I hope I misread the Ebay listing!". I looked but I couldn't find the pictures of the other 1 or 2 cameras that must have come with it. I could not agree more.

Tin Can
7-Sep-2019, 11:48
Did any of you look up what else OP bought?

Very nice example but not at $1200 USD
I could not agree more.

Tin Can
7-Sep-2019, 12:37
A member makes glass plate dry negatives almost any size. https://www.pictoriographica.com/about.html

You could mount a Packard Shutter easily, buy new or used.

Valuation is your concern not ours.

Cheers!

I got this camera (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-8-x-10-Antique-Wooden-Brass-PLATE-CAMERA-w-Bellows-Two-Plate-Holders/113716621030?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649) on ebay, it was advertised as 8x10 but plates I ordered don't fit and the inside dimensions are actually 7 1/8 by 9 1/2. anyone got any info? or preferable a place to get plates the correct size?

also, how would I go about adding a shutter. kind of new to this all.

thanks.

andrewch59
7-Sep-2019, 17:16
Deutsche Holz-Reisekamera, Wow! High price to pay for inexperience. Yes as previously suggested get your money back. Then find out all you can about camera movements and how to use them.

caspalta
8-Sep-2019, 05:29
Deutsche Holz-Reisekamera, Wow! High price to pay for inexperience. Yes as previously suggested get your money back. Then find out all you can about camera movements and how to use them.

Well I did submit it for a return, and if it's worth anything I only paid $900 for it. I have a friend who knows people who do civil war reenactments and I thought it would be fun to get a camera specifically for wet plate. It seems really difficult to gauge what a good price for a camera is especially when I don't have a lot of experience with it. I'm still looking for one now as well.

Tin Can
8-Sep-2019, 05:32
You will find Civil War era wet plate cameras with correct lenses are very expensive.

Good luck and good night

Well I did submit it for a return, and if it's worth anything I only paid $900 for it. I have a friend who knows people who do civil war reenactments and I thought it would be fun to get a camera specifically for wet plate. It seems really difficult to gauge what a good price for a camera is especially when I don't have a lot of experience with it. I'm still looking for one now as well.

caspalta
8-Sep-2019, 08:32
I don't really mind paying, I just don't know what the median price is since there's rarely very many for sale.

andrewch59
8-Sep-2019, 17:45
Have a look for holders like this eBay item number:113881638952, it is actually a glass plate holder and will fit in a normal spring back camera.

Bob Salomon
8-Sep-2019, 18:40
Have a look for holders like this eBay item number:113881638952, it is actually a glass plate holder and will fit in a normal spring back camera.

He doesn’t have a “normal spring back camera”.

Tin Can
8-Sep-2019, 18:52
Don't buy anything until you learn a bit more.

Below is what you don't seem to want or need for your plans. A member here does plan to make New Wet Plate holders after this event is completed.

2 hours left. https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?150231-ChromaGraphica-Double-Dry-Plate-Holder-Kickstarter-Friday-9-August-2019-Noon-launch&p=1515604&viewfull=1#post1515604

I signed on for 1 8X10 as I have 2 wood ones and all sorts of other sizes. NONE FOR SALE.

This is the same guy who makes the dry glass plates in any size.

Civil War reenactors are kinda strict about their gear...

I am not one of those people.

I am starting to work with the 1871 era forwards when dry glass plates came into mass production.

andrewch59
8-Sep-2019, 20:05
Thanks Randy, unaware of the strict parameters. Figured it would make sense if you were going to fork out for a 8x10, that you may as well get your moneys worth. A camera that can take any type of film, dry/wet/film,paper, and have movements to spare. Alas I was out of line.

Cryptogenic
20-Sep-2019, 03:58
Great Camera.