PDA

View Full Version : What is an LD Artar?

Don Wallace
14-Nov-2005, 11:16
I have a chance to buy a 24" f/11 LD Artar, serial number 829572. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

robert_4927
14-Nov-2005, 11:22
Are you sure you don't mean RD Artar? Which Is a Red Dot Artar, meaning it is coated. Great lens with lots of coverage.

Jim Galli
14-Nov-2005, 11:39
Calling Kerry Thalmann.......

I think it was an aluminum cased very late American Optical Co. product but did the LD stand for low dispersion glass?? I don't know. Kerry does.

Bruce Watson
14-Nov-2005, 11:42
I think Jim is correct; the LD is for low-dispersion glass. Supposedly a step up from a red-dot Artar in terms of sharpness and contrast. It should be a might fine lens.

Kerry L. Thalmann
14-Nov-2005, 12:09
Actually, I believe the L.D. stood for "low distortion". It was a special version of the APO (Red Dot) Artar that I believe was made for ariel mapping and optimized for infinity. I don't have my brochure handy at the moment, but this was a VERY expensive lens when new. I seem to recall that when new, the L.D. Artars sold for 2x - 3x the cost of the comparable Red Dot Artars. They were only made for about five years during the late 1960s and early 1970s - right before Goerz Optical, Inc. went belly up and sold out to Kollmorgen. I have a 14" L.D. Artar and it is superb (but then, so is a 14" Red Dot Artar). I have seen a few L.D. Artars over the years, mostly in shorter focal lengths (8 1/4", 9 1/2" and a couple 14"). I have never seen a 24" L.D. Artar. Given the price when new, and the short production life, it is a VERY rare lens. Performance and coverage will be at least as good as a 24" Red Dot Artar - perhaps better, but it would be hard to tell the difference for most general purpose photography. If the price is right, go for it. Did I mention it is a VERY rare lens?

Kerry

Struan Gray
14-Nov-2005, 12:28
The hearsay I heard was that the very low distortion lenses were used when making the maps, not during the aerial survey work. Low distortion was necessary when making individual map sheets from a larger master map: any distortion and the individual sheets won't join up correctly at the edges.

robert_4927
14-Nov-2005, 13:33
So does the printing on the lens actually say low distortion or L.D. Artar with a red dot on it?

Kerry L. Thalmann
14-Nov-2005, 14:09
Robert - So does the printing on the lens actually say low distortion or L.D. Artar with a red dot on it?

It says L.D. Artar with no red dot.

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/images/toho8d.jpg

Kerry

robert_4927
14-Nov-2005, 14:23
Thanks Kerry, I have never seen one. There was an aluminum barrel 30 inch Artar on epay about a week ago. I didn't notice if it was a L.D. version or not. Kerry did your L.D. come in an aluminum barrel? Or was the aluminum Artar an entirely different model?

Kerry L. Thalmann
14-Nov-2005, 14:40
Robert,

Yes, my 14" L.D. Artar came in an aluminum barrel. I had it re-mounted in a Compur No. 2 shutter by the late Steve Grimes. Sometime in the late 1960s, Goerz switched to the aluminum barrels for the Red Dot Artars. Every L.D. Artar I've seen (around five total) has been in an aluminum barrel. They all had serial numbers in excess of 820xxx, which indicates very late production. I personally prefer the aluminum barrels as they are significantly lighter than the older brass barrel versions. Plus, you have the bonus that they are very late production samples and usually in very clean condition.

Kerry

Chuck_1686
14-Nov-2005, 16:27
Here's a page from an old B&J catalog that has some info:

http://www.members.aol.com/jcpere/Goerz1.jpg

Hope that link works OK.

Don Wallace
23-Nov-2005, 13:54
Well, I bought it and it is on the way. Are there any shutters into which this will fit or will it have to be a custom mount? What about an Ilex #5?

dbendo
6-Feb-2019, 12:43
Hi folks is the any other shutter that will fit a 14” LD Artar
Other then custom made? Thanks dave benedict

Dugan
6-Feb-2019, 14:16
If it's a 14" f9 Artar, SK Grimes can put it in a Copal #3, or an Ilex / Alphax / #4. .. according to their website.

Luis-F-S
6-Feb-2019, 18:42
If it's a 14" f9 Artar, SK Grimes can put it in a Copal #3, or an Ilex / Alphax / #4. .. according to their website.

Or a Compur 2 which is what mine is in. L

Bernice Loui
6-Feb-2019, 22:47
Use as is in barrel with Sinar shutter. The original Goerz barrel has a very nice round aperture which is a GOOD thing. Sinar shutter allows using a grand assortment of lenses that would otherwise be extremely difficult.

Bernice

Hi folks is the any other shutter that will fit a 14” LD Artar
Other then custom made? Thanks dave benedict

Carsten Wolff
9-Feb-2019, 02:23
Use as is in barrel with Sinar shutter. The original Goerz barrel has a very nice round aperture which is a GOOD thing. Sinar shutter allows using a grand assortment of lenses that would otherwise be extremely difficult.
Bernice

It is quite easy to front-mount 14" and 19" Artars, e.g. into an #4 Alphax shutter, thus preserving their apertures as well.

Luis-F-S
9-Feb-2019, 14:58
Had a 19" LD Artar back in the 1980's. Didn't see enough difference between it and my RD Artar to make it worth keeping, so I sold it. L

Luis-F-S
9-Feb-2019, 15:00
Well, I bought it and it is on the way. Are there any shutters into which this will fit or will it have to be a custom mount? What about an Ilex #5?

It will be a custom mount in a Copal 3 shutter. L

Bernice Loui
10-Feb-2019, 08:18
For expressive image making photography it would be extremely difficult to see any difference between a regular Artar -vs- Low Distortion Artar (LD Artar).

LD Artar is a tweaked-selected version of the Artar for lower geometric distortion which was critical for images like precision grid production. This was a speciality need back in the days when process cameras were used for many printing, microcircuit mask making and similar needs.

Bernice

Had a 19" LD Artar back in the 1980's. Didn't see enough difference between it and my RD Artar to make it worth keeping, so I sold it. L