PDA

View Full Version : Edwal Hypo Check - Shelf Life or Interaction Issue

dodphotography
3-Sep-2019, 17:34
I develop 8x10 one sheet at a time in Paterson Orbital Tank. It’s a long story but I’m bad at tray developing, I enjoy the process and control, and am normally a lower volume shooter.

Today I was on a roll and processed a few sheets, reusing stop and fix along the way. I’ve been using Arista Universal Rapid Fixer. Each sheet I develop I ensure to use a few drops of Edwal Hypo Check.

Does the edwal have a shelf life or not play well with certain fixers? The drop showed residue and when I popped my tank... yikes! Wasn’t fixed, ruined a sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LabRat
3-Sep-2019, 19:01
The other old tried and true method for fixer checking is to immerse a strip of undeveloped film into it when fixer is new (in roomlight), and note how long it takes to clear... (Normal film fixing is twice that time...)

Then repeat as fixer is used, but when it is about twice the new time, it's time to replace it...

Steve K

dodphotography
3-Sep-2019, 19:49
The other old tried and true method for fixer checking is to immerse a strip of undeveloped film into it when fixer is new (in roomlight), and note how long it takes to clear... (Normal film fixing is twice that time...)

Then repeat as fixer is used, but when it is about twice the new time, it's time to replace it...

Steve K

I use that method religiously with students but I don’t shoot much roll film and never have scraps on hand this time of year.

jnantz
4-Sep-2019, 17:43
"Hypo Check" will give you a false read if you do not use the product as directed, even with Edwals' Fixer it will give you a false read.
The scrap of film / clip test Steve K mentions is the best.
I'm not sure if you have or can get a roll of outdated b/w film ... if you just use IT ( and only IT ) as your fix test film you will always know how spent your fix is. A roll of film will last a long long time.
and it costs a fraction of what a bottle of Hypo Check costs. Good luck !

dodphotography
4-Sep-2019, 17:54
"Hypo Check" will give you a false read if you do not use the product as directed, even with Edwals' Fixer it will give you a false read.
The scrap of film / clip test Steve K mentions is the best.
I'm not sure if you have or can get a roll of outdated b/w film ... if you just use IT ( and only IT ) as your fix test film you will always know how spent your fix is. A roll of film will last a long long time.
and it costs a fraction of what a bottle of Hypo Check costs. Good luck !

That’s a good point... I’ll just scrap a roll and use it as a test roll.

Mark Sampson
4-Sep-2019, 17:55
You may not have ruined that sheet of film; if you haven't tossed it run it through some fresh fixer, and see what happens.