PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with B&H & Foma?

Greg Y
3-Sep-2019, 11:41
I just ordered a large amount of LF Film and 16x20" Foma fiber based glossy Variant iii from B&H Photo. The Foma was now special order. In addition, i tried to order a box of 8x10 (100) of the same paper & it has disappeared from the B&H website. All that seems to remain are RC and matt or velvet finishes. When i queried B&H I got this answer back "Foma does not make an 8x10 glossy like the 16x20 that you recently ordered. You can use these papers instead:" Strangely i still have several boxes in my darkroom that I bought from B&H. (photo attached)
Freestyle Photo still shows it in stock. Does any one have any ideas what's going on either with Foma or B&H? B&H has been my #1 supplier, particularly because of their free shipping to Canada. I do far prefer Foma to Ilford Classic in neutral papers. Oriental FB papers are also out of stock at BH..... Just asking.

Tin Can
3-Sep-2019, 14:32
I thought somebody posted lately that Freestyle has the franchise and B&H must buy from them?

Jac@stafford.net
3-Sep-2019, 14:45
I thought somebody posted lately that Freestyle has the franchise and B&H must buy from them?

Horrors!

Bob Salomon
3-Sep-2019, 14:55
Have you asked Foma?

Duolab123
3-Sep-2019, 15:15
It may be that B&H has stopped carrying certain cat. no.s I've ordered Foma paper from B&H that was briefly on backorder. It was less expensive from B&H than Freestyle.
Freestyle shipping rates make no sense, it's all based on price of goods not actual costs.

Greg Y
3-Sep-2019, 15:45
Jac@stafford.net, Horrors indeed! Bob Salomon, no I haven't but it's a good idea. Duolab123, Yes, but that would be weird... I have no interest in Foma RC matt or velvet & I agree Freestyle shipping costs to Canada (esp) are over the top. I will contact Foma, since no one at B&H has stepped up and really answered my question. I'm also going to contact argentix.ca.... some fellow Canadians have had good service from them & they carry Foma. Thanks for your responses all.

Duolab123
3-Sep-2019, 16:38
I would also suspect that B&H gives certain product niches almost exclusively to Ilford (for example) in exchange for volume rebates. That's the nature of commodities, half of the business (manufacturing) is at break even to keep fixed costs in control.

Tin Can
3-Sep-2019, 16:50
Ilford HP5 11X14 film has gone up 25% at B&H in 2019.

11X14 FP4+ has gone higher and only available in 8 boxes of 25 special order.

Demand must be up and now I will buy less...

Bob Salomon
3-Sep-2019, 17:29
Jac@stafford.net, Horrors indeed! Bob Salomon, no I haven't but it's a good idea. Duolab123, Yes, but that would be weird... I have no interest in Foma RC matt or velvet & I agree Freestyle shipping costs to Canada (esp) are over the top. I will contact Foma, since no one at B&H has stepped up and really answered my question. I'm also going to contact argentix.ca.... some fellow Canadians have had good service from them & they carry Foma. Thanks for your responses all.
What about Henry’s or Beau?

Greg Y
3-Sep-2019, 18:38
Bob, I'm on the other side of the country from Henry's & Beau just has Ilford. Up to this point B&H has provided very good selection & excellent service. BTW I just heard from Jacques at Argentix.ca that Variant lll FB is in production & will be available in circa 3 weeks. A much better answer than "Foma doesn't make Variant lll in 8x10." Mystery seems to be solved.

Bob Salomon
3-Sep-2019, 18:58
Bob, I'm on the other side of the country from Henry's & Beau just has Ilford. Up to this point B&H has provided very good selection & excellent service. BTW I just heard from Jacques at Argentix.ca that Variant lll FB is in production & will be available in circa 3 weeks. A much better answer than "Foma doesn't make Variant lll in 8x10." Mystery seems to be solved.

Well, you’re at the opposite end from NYC also!

Greg Y
3-Sep-2019, 19:08
I am at the opposite end from NYC..... but often shipments arrive from B&H by courier within 4 days... free shipping on 16x20" & 20x24" dimensions or gallons of liquid is no joke. I priced the shipping from Montana (Photo Formulary) to my house in Alberta for a gallon of fixer..... the shipping was 2x the price of the goods. But I travel in northern Montana a couple of times a year...so just pick it up. & I just checked Henry's and they have a few offers of RC Kentmere. They're nowhere near the league of B&H or Freestyle.

Fred L
3-Sep-2019, 19:39
Greg Y,

I'd ask Jacques at Argentix if he can get it for you. Not sure where he sources his stuff but I've ordered Pyrocat HD glycol from him and the price was fair.

Greg Y
4-Sep-2019, 10:38
Thanks Fred, I heard from Jacques & he said the Foma Variant lll was in production and available in 3 weeks. I'll check out his prices, since one pays shipping on B&H special orders.

roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau
28-Sep-2019, 05:47
Agree that Freestyle shipping is expensive, yet in some cases, availability tops other considerations. B&H shipping drops to free over certain value... rather than builds... at least here on the east coast where in some cases I can order and receive the product the next day with free shipping. Have not used Foma before, but have 2 boxes in the fridge for learning 4X5.

Greg Y
29-Sep-2019, 09:41
Agree that Freestyle shipping is expensive, yet in some cases, availability tops other considerations. B&H shipping drops to free over certain value... rather than builds... at least here on the east coast where in some cases I can order and receive the product the next day with free shipping. Have not used Foma before, but have 2 boxes in the fridge for learning 4X5.

Rosco, My concern was with Foma enlarging paper and the lack of stock recently at BH. & while you're right about "sometimes availabilty tops other considerations" shipping from 16x20 & 20x24 from Freestyle to Canada is exorbitant. The upside of the situation is that I've been put in touch with Argentix here in Canada who can supply the goods.

neil poulsen
29-Sep-2019, 11:51
I was surprised to see that B & H had discontinued
Kodak's D76. :confused:

Also found an ordered four packages from Freestyle.