PDA

View Full Version : Shen-Hao TFC810A

Rscaboy
2-Sep-2019, 11:25
Hello,

Could you tell me if I could use this camera (Shen-Hao TFC810A) to do some "Portrait" (Mainly "Head&Shoulders") so I was thinking to mount an 300mm or 360mm lens (or more if I can).

Or does this camera is only usable for "Landscape" photography ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dom./

Oren Grad
2-Sep-2019, 11:52
This is a non-folding camera with a maximum bellows extension of 450mm, not a good choice for close portrait work with longer-than-normal focal lengths. It really is optimized for general scenic work; for what you have in mind, you'll be better off with a different model.

Naej
2-Sep-2019, 11:57
300 or 360mm is like a normal lens for a 8X10. You'll have to buy a lens that is close to 600mm if you want to do such portrait.

But this said, it doesn't mean that you can't do portraits with the focal you want to mount.

On the enlarger (or the computer), you'll just have to crop until the desired size.

Don't forget: many large format cameras can do almost everything!

ic-racer
2-Sep-2019, 17:56
Angle of view diminishes as one focuses to 'head and shoulders.' You might want to your 300mm and or 360mm before you buy a longer lens.

Pere Casals
2-Sep-2019, 18:27
Hello,

Could you tell me if I could use this camera (Shen-Hao TFC810A) to do some "Portrait" (Mainly "Head&Shoulders") so I was thinking to mount an 300mm or 360mm lens (or more if I can).

Dom./

Yousuf Karsh used a 14" (360mm) for most of his work. For head and shoulders you may want a bit longer focal to be at some 3m from subject, but IMHO 360 is a good focal to start with.

With a 430mm bellows extension you may be able to focus at around 2.5m with 360mm. I considered 430 instead 450 because the rear nodal point may be behind the lens board some 30mm, but if it is a tessar then you may focus closer, because the rear nodal point is farther from film plane.

So with a 300mm it will focus well, for 360mm it's acceptable but IMHO you may have to go wider than "head and shoulders", for longer lenses bellows extension comes short.

Pere Casals
2-Sep-2019, 18:28
Hello,

Dom./

Yousuf Karsh used a 14" (360mm) for most of his work. For head and shoulders you may want a bit longer focal to be at some 3m from subject, but IMHO 360 is a good focal to start with, as ic-racer says.

With a 430mm bellows extension you may be able to focus at around 2.5m with 360mm. I considered 430 instead 450 because the rear nodal point may be behind the lens board some 30mm, but if it is a tessar then you may focus closer, because the rear nodal point is farther from film plane.

So with a 300mm it will focus well, for 360mm it's acceptable but IMHO you may have to go wider than "head and shoulders", for longer lenses bellows extension comes short.

Vaughn
2-Sep-2019, 18:38
And a top hat would perhaps give a touch more distance for the 360mm.

Pere Casals
2-Sep-2019, 18:43
And a top hat would perhaps give a touch more distance for the 360mm.

Less distance, in fact, it would focus closer.